Cranberry Lake 50 trails update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
Markers.
As of last Thursday or Friday, just before National Trails Day, the entire route has BLUE CL-50 trail markers. Remember, the trails are already marked with the standard DEC trail markers. They're just there to confirm/reassure that hikers are indeed on the official route, rather than some other trail. The general guideline was to place about 6-8/mile, meaning 3-4 facing in each direction per mile. Hair being valued as a defense against biting bugs, trail heads and junctions were to be marked a little more heavily to prevent protracted pate pawing at potentially perplexing points. Actual distance between markers depends on the distance estimating ability and other forms of judgment of the individual(s) who marked a particular section. Height of markers varies with whether they liked to put them at eye level, or as high as possible to deter theft, and the height of the individual. Your results may vary. :)

Trail Cleared
The entire route has been cleared by the highly dedicated, hard working local DEC trail crew. I believe this means it's been cleared since the beginning of this spring's trailwork season. So sections cleared early on could already have some new blowdown.

New trail improvements
A few of the Adirondack Mountain Club's National Trails Day work projects were on the loop(bog bridging near Cat Mtn. Pond, new campsite at Dog Pond) or on recommended side trips(Bear Mtn.), or on access trails(Dead Creek Flow Trail). I think there were other spots on the loop that were also worked on.

Last edited:
I suppose I'll just have to hike it again to see all the improvements. Tyler you in? (btw, last month I carried in a cheeseburger as a snack just for you.)

Wanakena General store is closing

For all those who are planning to do the Cranberry Lake 50 in Winter*, or ever, take note. The owner will be closing the store, apparently permanently, at the end of this year. That would be...now. The last time I talked to him in November, he wasn't looking for anyone else to rent or buy it from him.
How can that be? It can't be! Sorry, I guess I'm still in denial.
Anyway, plan your trip accordingly. For food, hot drinks, or a temporary refuge, you may want to check on the Pine Cone's hours, or even call the Ranger School to see when their cafeteria is open.

*Winter is the perfect time for this loop. There are no bugs and the wet areas are frozen over. ;)

Hi Walt,
Happy New Year! No, I wasn't planning to, but since I did just make a pulk for a snowed-cancelled trip to North Brother in Maine, I feel partially equipped for such an attempt. But my focus this winter is on the NE115, and those peaks get first priority when there's a stretch of good weather and free days.

winter CL50

Mark,

Best wishes for your NE115 and the New Year. I've got a plastic sled "pulk" but prefer just to backpack.

Walt

Hi Walt,
Happy New Year! No, I wasn't planning to, but since I did just make a pulk for a snowed-cancelled trip to North Brother in Maine, I feel partially equipped for such an attempt. But my focus this winter is on the NE115, and those peaks get first priority when there's a stretch of good weather and free days.

Thank you for the update. I do want to do this trail as a dayhike one of these (midsummer) days.

I thought DuctTape did it in 23 hours as well??? No?

Speaking of winter outings on the CL50, anyone interested? I'd be, for sure...

Mark L did it in one day, as a continual thu-hike.

No, not one day. The purpose of my hike was to see if I could keep hiking 24 hours or more without any sleep, a nap, or a z. For the sake of my knees, I stopped for 5 minutes every hour and literally put my legs up in the air and pedaled the air bike. The whole loop including the full road walk took 29 hours and 23 minutes. If I had done it in under 24 hours, it wouldn't have counted. :D

Last edited:
No, not one day. The purpose of my hike was to see if I could keep hiking 24 hours or more without any sleep, a nap, or a z. For the sake of my knees, I stopped for 5 minutes every hour and literally put my legs up in the air and pedaled the air bike. The whole loop including the full road walk took 29 hours and 23 minutes. If I had done it in under 24 hours, it wouldn't have counted. :D

Ahhh, ok. Thanks for setting me straight. The gentleman at the general store told me that you hiked it non-stop in one day.

But that's still an incredible feat. I heard you had a full moon?

Or maybe I shouldn't believe to unverified rumors, haha....

I knew there were some ultrahikers who had done this loop in one push :D
I would plan to run most of the loop so as not to be out there for 24 hours. Although I would have to allow time to stop and appreciate the scenery of course.