Moose Antler Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Below is a photo of a moose antler that I found while bushwhacking off the Howker Ridge Trail in the Bumpus Brook basin. The antler was found in a mixed hardwood forest with lots of hobblebush in the vicinity (and lots of moose poop). Listed below this photo are a couple of questions that I have regarding the antler.
Antler_OnSite.JPG

QUESTIONS:

1) What is the proper “forest-etiquette” relative to removal of an antler from the woods?

I brought it home since this is the most intact moose antler that I’ve found since I began bushwhacking a couple years ago. However, I’m unsure if that was the “right” thing to do. Should it have been left for the mice and other critters to enjoy gnawing on?
(You’ll note in the photos that a few nibbles had already been taken!)

2) Is this particular antler sort of an average size? Below is another photo of this same antler that I took once I got home and could place a yardstick on it to give some idea of its size. I just arbitrarily placed the yardstick where it would stay in place. I have no idea as to which two points should be used to properly measure the antler’s size.
Antler_Measured.JPG

Hey John,

1) It is up to your personal code of ethic. I don't think anyone is going to give you hell for taking it (nor I doubt would any look even so much as crosseyed at you.) If you leave it, cool, it would eventually be eaten up by rodents anyways. If not, no biggie. If you asking legality wise....no law on the books I know of so your quite safe.

2) Looks to be a good palmation, typical number of points. I would say you have an example from a healthy average size bull mose!

Brian

Thanks Quiteman for the link to a previous discussion on VFTT about the “ethics” of removing antlers from the forest.
And thank you Brian for answering my question about the size of the particular antlers that I found, and also thanks for your comments about removing them from the woods.

I’d welcome any other responses, but it appears that my questions have been answered!

Hi John,

Nice seeing Marty and you yesterday!

Nice antler! It's such a magic moment when you're out there and come across such a thing.

I've found way too many antlers to beleive it is an important food/nutrition source for any animals. They do not all get eaten up, as I all too often hear people say. I find many that are nearly untouched and years old. ICBWB any animal that needs antlers to survive would perish, IMO.

Technically, a violation of LNT, but that's not law. In Maine, however, I beleive it is illegal to pocess antlers and a ranger will confiscate them and issue a fine. :mad:

What are the chances that it would be seen by another hiker? If another hiker were to cross the same spot, their experience wouldn't be deminished because they would not know the difference.

Just my opinion, and I'm sure some will disagree.

I photograph and leave most that I find. I have a few nice ones.

Could we see a pic of the back side?

happy trails :)

Could we see a pic of the back side?
Patrick, below is a snapshot of the other side of the antler as you requested. And speaking of things related to moose, it was surely an unexpected treat to run into you atop the summit of the “big moose” yesterday.
100_2249.JPG

Technically, a violation of LNT, but that's not law. In Maine, however, I beleive it is illegal to pocess antlers and a ranger will confiscate them and issue a fine.

Sounds like 'RNT', remove no trace? :D

FWIW, I think NY would 'frown' on this as well, as they say not to remove ANYTHING from the wild, (unless you have a permit, hunting license, etc.).