Flags on the 48 - 2009 - 09/12/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentCal

Reaction score
www.flagsonthe48.org

The 8th Annual Flags on the 48 event will be held on Saturday, September 12th from 12:00 to 2:00 pm. Every September since 9/11, hundreds of hikers have participated in raising a flag atop all of the 4000 footers in a memorable tribute. We hope to once again be able to cover all 48 peaks and would be thankful for any volunteers willing to help out.

Our FAQ: http://flagsonthe48.org/q&a.php (The date is an error. It should read September 12th 2009)

Signups for the event will begin on Monday July 13th at 6:00 p.m. Popular peaks go very quickly so please have more than one peak in mind. Last year, we had 34 peaks taken in the first hour alone.

The peaks of Cannon, Washington and Wildcat D will again be offered to the non-hiker participants first. Should anyone know of someone who would like to be involved but cannot hike, these peaks are a nice alternative. Please send me a PM and I'll be happy to help out.

I wish to thank everyone who has participated in the past. It's been an honor to hike with many of you and I do hope we can have full coverage again this year.

Should anyone have any questions about the event, please forward me a pm.

Thanks again!

Arg, I signed us up for Hancock, then was immediately told we can't hike that weekend after all (no one to watch Sage). :(

I sent in my cancellation, in the meantime, note that Hancock will be available as soon as our name is removed.

A little after 7pm and the official stats are 37 peaks (until Chirs fixes things the board is showing 41 which is not correct.)

I am shocked Adams and Madison are still un claimed!!!!

Thanks to all who have signed up so far and we can still use help!

Brian

I was just curious, has any thought been given to using replicas of older flags of colonial America? Like the Gadsden flag, or the "Join or Die" flag, the Bennington flag, or Betsy Ross flags? It would just be an interesting thought.

I was just curious, has any thought been given to using replicas of older flags of colonial America? Like the Gadsden flag, or the "Join or Die" flag, the Bennington flag, or Betsy Ross flags? It would just be an interesting thought.
Any flag can be flown. There have been several non-USA flags flown in the past. After all, this event is not just about the USA. Many people from other nations perished that day.

Tom is correct. Any flag can be flown. As far as I can remember we have had:

New Hampshire state flag
Louisana state flag
Mississippi state flag
POW/MIA flag
The British Union Jack flag
Ireland's Flag
Canada's Flag
World Peace flag
Numerous Boy Scout Troop flags

Any size flag works as well. We've had some massive flag setups and some folks are pretty clever in their flagpole designs. I had Eisenhower last year and it's always pretty inspiring to see flags miles away on other peaks with the naked eye and binoculars.

I am shocked Adams and Madison are still un claimed!!!!

I had intended to take whatever lay open in late August, but I couldn't resist the notion of getting up there and leading the charge to Madison. I'll have the über-camera, we'll see how many peak flags I can pick out from there!

I had intended to take whatever lay open in late August, but I couldn't resist the notion of getting up there and leading the charge to Madison. I'll have the über-camera, we'll see how many peak flags I can pick out from there!
What are my prospects from Cannon? Should I bring a big lens, or small telescope? In either case, I am not hiking this year, we're taking the tram with Laurie's grand-kids.

Tom: I did Cannon the first year and the easiest flag to see was Mt. Liberty's. From Cannon, you are looking up to Lafayette and the flag might not be elevated enough to see. Same with Lincoln. Liberty should be easier because it's closer to Cannon's elevation.

However, you should be able to pick out the Kinsmans. I know the guy on North Kinsman and exactly what gear he is bringing (mine), you should be able to see his no problem. Ken, too on South Kinsman, usually has a nice display.

Binoculars will be very helpful. Cannon also has the coin-operated binoculars on the viewing tower.

What are my prospects from Cannon? Should I bring a big lens, or small telescope?

From Cannon you should be able to see N Kinsman, possibly S Kinsman (is it blocked?) and maybe Moosilauke, and definitely Lafayette, Lincoln, and Liberty (Flume might be blocked from view). If you're taking the tram, I'd bring both!

New Hampshire state flag
Louisana state flag
Mississippi state flag
POW/MIA flag
The British Union Jack flag
Ireland's Flag
Canada's Flag
World Peace flag
Numerous Boy Scout Troop flags

On Garfield a few years ago we also had two fellows join the hike that asked to fly the US Marine Corps flag in honor of a friend who died on duty. I am pretty sure other service flags have flown too.

Michael, am I ALMOST positive you can see South Kinsman from Cannon.

Brian

About ten days out from signups and we still have Mt. Field and Mt. Washington unaccounted for.

Should anyone like Mt. Washington, please pm me if the Flags website does not allow you to sign up for it.

Thanks to all who have helped out!