1st Pemi Loop (+ West Bond) 6/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff, my friends! You had a lovely day for a long walk! I'll be giving it a go myself in the near future.

How was your first post-hike shower, Marc?:eek::eek:

Just wondering. Is this the loop?

• Osseo Trail
  • Flume
  • Liberty
  • L. Haystack
  • Lincoln
  • Lafayette
  • Garfield
  • S. Twin
  • N.Twin
  • S. Twin
  • Guyot
  • Bond
  • Bondcliff
  • Wilderness Trail
  • Lincoln Woods

I thought Galehead and West Bond were part of the Loop hike since they are on spur trails inside the Loop.

As Dr Moreau asked, "What is the law?"

JohnL

I thought Galehead and West Bond were part of the Loop hike since they are on spur trails inside the Loop.

As Dr Moreau asked, "What is the law?"

JohnL
I don't think there's any 'rules' -- none that I'd give a crap about anyway. It's a loop and we included West Bond because it has a great view and Larisa wanted it for some list. Galehead is a pimple on the landscape that unfortunately has a trail. Garfield Ridge Peak East has an incredible view and is a 5 minute 'whack off trail but we didn't include that either.

This was about having fun and pushing our limits physically and mentally not to mention doing something that none of us had ever done before. We accomplished it and that is a good feeling.

-Dr. Wu

Hi Tom!

I also should mention that we met Tom Parent (sp?) who, I found out, is the current "record" holder, I believe. Hi Tom! Tom passed us on the Twinway right after Guyot. He was doing a Pemi Loop and started around 7am. We met up with him again at Galehead Hut and never saw him again after that. Nice chatting with him. Very cool to see someone jogging the ridge -- hope I can get to that point some day.

-Dr. Wu

F'n-A! Awesome job dudes and dudette!
Ya, the loop is a tough cookie but what a great hike. Kicked my butt when I did it too. Would be nice to do it again with some bionic legs attached.

I 2nd the salt comment from Marc... I ran out of the 'rade and had some bad cramps from Twinway on out (clockwise).

Rock on!

Congratulations to all of you1:cool: Extremely cool. You guys and gal rock! Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. That is one trip to be proud of, for sure.

Sunshine Chris

As you hike these wonderful woods and high mountain peaks, I urge you to absorb all that nature has to offer. Be empowered by her strength and become renewed in mind and spirit. By me
NH 47/48 ADK's 2/46

Last edited:
He agreed to let Larisa and I go ahead if we give him an extra headlamp... so I gave him mine (Larisa had two, WTF?) -Dr. Wu

I carry three headlamps, but usually do not carry extra batteries. :)

Fine effort, especially Marc for hanging in there with issues, great trip report by dr_wu, and excellent photos by LRiz. WBond and Galehead (which I think has a worthwhile viewpoint albeit short of the summit) each add about a mile to the loop, but Zealand and NTwin each add 2.6 miles, so doing all 12 NH4's extends the Pemi Loop to about 38.5 miles. Although there are no rules, I believe that the traditional Pemi Loop does not include any side trips, so is 31.5 miles. I have always found the CW to be tougher than the CCW, for some unknown reason, but then again, my times have never been very fast (i.e., I do not run).