Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st Pemi Loop (+ West Bond) 6/13

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    I thought Galehead and West Bond were part of the Loop hike since they are on spur trails inside the Loop.

As Dr Moreau asked, "What is the law?"

JohnL
    I don't think there's any 'rules' -- none that I'd give a crap about anyway. It's a loop and we included West Bond because it has a great view and Larisa wanted it for some list. Galehead is a pimple on the landscape that unfortunately has a trail. Garfield Ridge Peak East has an incredible view and is a 5 minute 'whack off trail but we didn't include that either.

This was about having fun and pushing our limits physically and mentally not to mention doing something that none of us had ever done before. We accomplished it and that is a good feeling.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Nasty! I'm jealous too. nice work.

Hi Tom!

I also should mention that we met Tom Parent (sp?) who, I found out, is the current "record" holder, I believe. Hi Tom! Tom passed us on the Twinway right after Guyot. He was doing a Pemi Loop and started around 7am. We met up with him again at Galehead Hut and never saw him again after that. Nice chatting with him. Very cool to see someone jogging the ridge -- hope I can get to that point some day.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

F'n-A! Awesome job dudes and dudette!
    Ya, the loop is a tough cookie but what a great hike. Kicked my butt when I did it too. Would be nice to do it again with some bionic legs attached.

I 2nd the salt comment from Marc... I ran out of the 'rade and had some bad cramps from Twinway on out (clockwise).

Rock on!
    Doug

Congratulations to all of you1 Extremely cool. You guys and gal rock! Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. That is one trip to be proud of, for sure.

Sunshine Chris

As you hike these wonderful woods and high mountain peaks, I urge you to absorb all that nature has to offer. Be empowered by her strength and become renewed in mind and spirit. By me
    NH 47/48 ADK's 2/46
    Last edited by Sunshine Chris; 06-16-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: forgot stuff at bottom

That pic of Marc is unexpectedly hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002 View Post
    [B] He agreed to let Larisa and I go ahead if we give him an extra headlamp... so I gave him mine (Larisa had two, WTF?) -Dr. Wu
    I carry three headlamps, but usually do not carry extra batteries.

Fine effort, especially Marc for hanging in there with issues, great trip report by dr_wu, and excellent photos by LRiz. WBond and Galehead (which I think has a worthwhile viewpoint albeit short of the summit) each add about a mile to the loop, but Zealand and NTwin each add 2.6 miles, so doing all 12 NH4's extends the Pemi Loop to about 38.5 miles. Although there are no rules, I believe that the traditional Pemi Loop does not include any side trips, so is 31.5 miles. I have always found the CW to be tougher than the CCW, for some unknown reason, but then again, my times have never been very fast (i.e., I do not run).