Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Trail to Mendon?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
    Posts
    2,268

    Trail to Mendon?

    The USGS maps depict a trail that runs from the Long Trail across the summit of Little Killington then heads in a westerly direction to the col between LK and Mendon and then South. I cannot find reference to it anywhere, nor is it depicted on other maps. Does anyone have any information on this trail?

    WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
    TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

  2. #2
    Senior Member MichaelJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Outside
    Posts
    5,141
    I think it's long gone. NY Spencer did the bushwhack to Mendon from Little Killington at one of the VT gatherings some time ago and from what I remember of his storytelling didn't come across any old trail like this. I certainly don't remember seeing sign nor sign of anything when I was up on LK.

    Was that the old route of the AT? I know there was some rerouting done in that area (for example, the trail you see on the map coming from Shrewsbury Peak hits some other n-s trail on the map, but in reality only intersects the LT/AT *south* of Little Killington).
    Last edited by MichaelJ; 06-16-2009 at 08:19 AM.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

  3. #3
    Senior Member RollingRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waterville Valley, NH
    Posts
    579
    I recommend you hiking it from the other side. It is easy going up an old road and then the bushwhack to the summit from the suggested location has a herd path. I recall lots of flies on the summit but decent views providing a unique perspective of the area.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

  4. #4
    Senior Member HockeyPuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    249
    I hiked Mendon from the North side unnamed logging road on Memorial day weekend and was all over the col area. Herd paths are everywhere however I didn't find a substantial trail. I'm not willing to admit it wasn't there only that I didn't find it.

    I also see the trail on copies of MyTOPO maps and suspect MichaelJ is right in regards to a former routing of the AT.

    It would be interesting to learn if it's still marked and easy to navigagte.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RollingRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waterville Valley, NH
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyPuck View Post
    I Herd paths are everywhere however I didn't find a substantial trail. I'm not willing to admit it wasn't there only that I didn't find it.
    I would agree that there is not one main herd path. I ended up hooking up one after another but it did reduce the whacking component.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ed'n Lauky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    Was that the old route of the AT? I know there was some rerouting done in that area (for example, the trail you see on the map coming from Shrewsbury Peak hits some other n-s trail on the map, but in reality only intersects the LT/AT *south* of Little Killington).
    I think you're right MJ. When I did it a few years back--the first time I met Sabrina by the way, only later on Pico--I went over little Killington. It was a very stiff approach with a lot of downed spruce.

    However, I did come across an AT marker in the ground.



    There is a section of that ridge that has a pretty good heard trail, but I agree, unless you're trying to prove something, it's not the route of choice. On the way back, on a hunch, I dropped off to my left through fairly open woods, found the old forest road, and followed it and a path all the way back to the AT.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

    Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

    100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

  7. #7
    Senior Member Papa Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    I think you're right MJ. When I did it a few years back--the first time I met Sabrina by the way, only later on Pico--I went over little Killington. It was a very stiff approach with a lot of downed spruce.

    However, I did come across an AT marker in the ground.

    <cut>

    ...
    Note that these are bound markers for the AT corridor, not trail markers. In other words, they mark the extent of the right of way on either side of the trail and may be several hundred yards from the trail.

    A good example of the corridor marking is the little cleared swath you cross when you whack from South Crocker to Redington. This is the boundary for the AT land, not the trail.

    Most times there is no swath, but the markers are out there. I know a surveyor who set these markers a few years back near Killington when the AT had just gotten title to the land. Maybe he set that one.

    I also tried to whack from the AT up to Little K and thence to Mendon a few years back. It was a hot day and it was so thick I soon gave it up. I had done the traditional route to Mendon previously which was much easier going. I was checking out this route just "for the fun of it". NOT!
    Pb

    Papa Bear's Web Site
    Papa Bear's Hundred Highest List
    Peakbagger NE HH Peaks Map
    Papa Bear's Fifty Finest List
    Peakbagger NE FF Peaks Map
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ed'n Lauky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Note that these are bound markers for the AT corridor, not trail markers. In other words, they mark the extent of the right of way on either side of the trail and may be several hundred yards from the trail.

    A good example of the corridor marking is the little cleared swath you cross when you whack from South Crocker to Redington. This is the boundary for the AT land, not the trail.

    Most times there is no swath, but the markers are out there. I know a surveyor who set these markers a few years back near Killington when the AT had just gotten title to the land. Maybe he set that one.

    I also tried to whack from the AT up to Little K and thence to Mendon a few years back. It was a hot day and it was so thick I soon gave it up. I had done the traditional route to Mendon previously which was much easier going. I was checking out this route just "for the fun of it". NOT!
    OK, very interesting. I guess that answers my question. I've often wondered about that marker.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

    Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

    100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

  9. #9
    Senior Member una_dogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    4,519
    Yup
    , AT Corridor Boundary marker.

    Paradox, I was on Mendon last week. There were a few entries in the cannistre describing a hellacious bushwack from little killington. Its easier to do the very short and open whack from the Long Trail to the old carriage road, then turn left just before the second cairn. I took a 233 magnetic there, walked about 100 feet into the woods and found a very easy to follow herdpath that went over the false summit and over to the cannistre on the true summit.


    Feel free to pm me if you need more info.
    Last edited by una_dogger; 06-16-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

  10. #10
    Senior Member MichaelJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Outside
    Posts
    5,141
    If you want to see the route between the Carriage Road and the LT/AT I have it shown here. It's very easy to follow, though if you're going up towards the LT/AT you need to bear sharp right up what looks like a drainage when the old road starts bearing down off the contour.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ed'n Lauky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Posts
    1,805
    Unless it's changed since I was last there, this is what you are looking for:


    I also saw, standing just a few feet from that canister, the largest bear I've ever seen with my own two eyes. If you see him give him my greetings.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

    Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

    100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

  12. #12
    Senior Member Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    If you want to see the route between the Carriage Road and the LT/AT I have it shown here. It's very easy to follow, though if you're going up towards the LT/AT you need to bear sharp right up what looks like a drainage when the old road starts bearing down off the contour.
    Glory Be! That trail is marked on the map!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Thanks folks!
    WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
    TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

  13. #13
    Senior Member RoySwkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,478
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyPuck View Post
    I also see the trail on copies of MyTOPO maps and suspect MichaelJ is right in regards to a former routing of the AT.
    I don't think it is a former LT/AT route, just a woods road. I hiked it in the '60s and '70s and it wasn't there either time, but when I did a bushwhack W of the ridge I found a lot of piles of cordwood that had been cut and never hauled out.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyPuck View Post
    Failing to plan is planning to fail.
    We have a similar maxim in dentistry: Remember the five "P's"; Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.
    WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
    TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

  15. #15
    Senior Member Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
    Posts
    2,268
    Transposing some of MichealJ's waypoints into Google Earth I can pickout that mountain road/trail.
    WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
    TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

Similar Threads

  1. LT Trail Work and Mendon
    By Cumulus in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2017, 09:06 PM
  2. Mendon ??
    By funkyfreddy in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
  3. Mendon 1/8/12
    By michael in forum Vermont
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
  4. Mendon Peak - AMC Trail
    By HockeyPuck in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
  5. Mendon Via Eddy Brook / AMC trail 5/23/09
    By HockeyPuck in forum Vermont
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •