1st Solo Hike of Mt. Adam's and Madison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
I posted this on Rocks and wanted to share here to. Nice meeting many of you folks on Saturday! ;)
Not to take away from BobC's success this weekend summiting his 48th of 48, (Congrats BobC) but I wanted to post on my trip to the Presi's which included meeting up with Bob and celebrating later with him and many others at Bob & Geri's place .
Pics are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/573053208BfVzHw?vhost=community
The Plan:
I headed up on Saturday June 13th at 6:55am. I wanted to get an early start so I could be sure to clip Adam's before meeting Bob at the hut. I had considered heading into King Ravine with BobC and friends but had not heard from him yet on whether they were going to go that route. There had been some discussion about the weather. Anyway, I figured to go up Airline Trail, head over to Adams, back down to Madison Hut, up Madison and out on Valley way.
The Hike:
It was a nice cool morning and the sun was peaking through the trees. I kept a good pace and before long caught sight of my 1st views for the day. This was encouraging! :)I new the steeps were coming so I partook of some power gel. MMM. and attacked!!! The steep section was certainly more fun to acend then to descent like I had last time around after coming up on Howker Ridge with Big Earl.
When I came out onto the beginning of the open ridge line I was struck with awe. It was so beautiful up here . The alpine flowers were blooming, the skys were semi-clouded with eery patterns with the sun peaking through. I took some photos of King Ravine, Lowes Path, Adams's and Madison and of course my path ahead along Airline. I sat down and took a 20 minute break and had a snack (to power up for the hike ahead).
Soon I was off and running (well not exactly running) but moving along and soon cresting the ridge onto Gulfside Trail. I headed off towards Adam's and soon remembered why I didn't like the final ascent on this mountain my first time around. At least this time I didn't have a 55 lb. pack on my back (my brother and I were out for a weeklong backpack trip last time I did Adams), so it was a little easier. I still have not got the hang of bouncing along on all those jagged rocks yet. Still working on some of those balancing muscles on my waistline, hips and ankles. Down is harder than up though, for sure. :(I was elated to gain the summit and just stood there in awe and reverance for awhile. I hadn't been up here in 10 years! I was very happy to be here. I had made it up 15 minutes under book time so I was happy. It feels good to be finally making some progress on getting into shape and gaining some endurance.. After sitting down and partaking of a cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter and a couple of strawberrries I decided it was time to head down to the hut.

My knees sure were glad to see Adams behind me. :DWhen I got to the hut I ran into Mad River and his wife and met many new faces and names. I don't dare name you all here cuz I might leave some of you out but it sure was nice to put a face to trail names I have been reading about in reports for more than a year now. Bob had not shown up yet, I heard they were still working on all gaining the crest of King Ravine. The weather was getting a little iffy and I really wanted to get up Madison before it turned so I decided to head up around 1:35pm. Trish and Alex headed up soon after me. It didn't take me too long to get to the summit though I did take the opportunity to chat with a few folks along the way . An excuse to rest for a second. ;)I ran into Jay Trek and Windy among others at the summit where I had Windy get a photo of me on the summit. Didn't stay long. Ran into alot of folks I knew but no Bob.

I got back to the hut and grabbed my cell phone to head outside and try to reach Bob when I heard him call my name from behind me. After the usual greetings to BobC, NewHampshire, HappyHiker and meeting Poison Ivy again and many others, Bobs and Daves and all manner of names (started loosing track of them all, again , Bob C then decided to head for the summit with everyone. Who should come bouncing through the door but DaveBear.:cool: He had cut out of work a little early and hustled up the mountain hoping to catch Bob before he summited. Nice show, Dave. They all headed up and as I was headed out the door to descend on Valley Way I saw Bob and Geri and others descending Madison. I started down Valley Way. I hadn't been on this trail before and found the first part steep so I took it slow. I really did not want to fall or twist my ankle at this point, not after such a great day. I ran into a couple of folks from the hut who were hauling up food and other goods to re-supply. When the trail began to ease in steepness I was able to move along more quickly. I enjoyed the trail most of the way down and looked forward to the falls and cascades near the bottom. I had seen them once before when I came up from Appalacia with DaveBear just to check them out after a long hike we had completed earlier in the day. They were as lovely as I had remembered but I just couldn't stop for long as I was on a roll and cruising along. I arrived back at the parking lot at 6:00pm and Bob & Geri and group came rolling in just after I got my hiking boots off and my comfy sandal on. I gave a couple of people a ride back to Bob and Geri's campground and answered inquiries on the ride there about the Cowboy Action Shooting hobby I participate in on most weekends (in between the hiking or is it the hiking is inbetween the shooting). Not sure, but one thing I am sure of, I had a great day and gained alot of confidence in my physical abilities. After more than 12 miles and 4800 foot of gain today I feel I will be able to comfortably do Katadin, Hamlin Peak and the Knive Edge in a 12 mile circuit. This is what I needed to know. Was it within my physical capabilities? Only 1 1/2 weeks to the Baxter trip with my neice Kim and I'm hoping her father DaveBear will be able to make a show for the Katadin Traverse, too. Thanks for reading and it was good meeting so many of you .:D

When are you heading up Kathadin? We will be there (hopefully!! IF THE WEATHER HOLDS OUT) Monday 6-22 through Wed 6-24...two nights at Chimney Pond...Maybe see you there?

I can't wait to do some of these Presi mts. in the summer. I've only done them in the winter. Although they certainly have a charm in the winter...am looking foward to seeing what they are like when it's warm...and I can stand still for more than 3 seconds ;)

Great meeting you on the trail and especially on the ride back to Bob and Geri's. Nicely written trip report.

From Hikes-with Him:
When are you heading up Kathadin? We will be there (hopefully!! IF THE WEATHER HOLDS OUT) Monday 6-22 through Wed 6-24...two nights at Chimney Pond...Maybe see you there?[/PHP]
We won't arrive till Saturday the 27th and hopefully climb it on Sunday if the weather cooperates. Otherwise we will try on the following Thursday and do the Brothers and Coe on Sunday. Enjoy your hike, I hope it goes well for you. We will be hiking in on Chimney Pond Trail, up over Hamlin and Baxter Peak, on over the knife edge and Pamola Peak and down the Helen Taylor Trail. I have already done all but Hamlin but my neice has never even seen these mountains yet. Should be great!

From Dave Metsky
Great meeting you on the trail and especially on the ride back to Bob and Geri's. Nicely written trip report.

Thanks, I enjoyed meeting you too and our chats about CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) as well as other things. It's always nice to share with others our other interests in life.