Missing Hiker - Mt Washington Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said east of Hermit Lake. Note that the email author didn't summit until the next day (presumably after camping at Hermit Lake).

So if it was Mr. Shintani, he'd been on Mt Washington (or somewhere nearby, but he returned to Tuckerman Ravine) for a week without being noticed, then he disappeared either along a nearly-flat ~two miles of trail, or from the parking lot where his car was.

If he'd been on the mountain for a week in some hidden spot, he would probably have looked remarkably scruffy.

He said east of Hermit Lake. Note that the email author didn't summit until the next day (presumably after camping at Hermit Lake).

So if it was Mr. Shintani, he'd been on Mt Washington (or somewhere nearby, but he returned to Tuckerman Ravine) for a week without being noticed, then he disappeared either along a nearly-flat ~two miles of trail, or from the parking lot where his car was.

If he'd been on the mountain for a week in some hidden spot, he would probably have looked remarkably scruffy.

Well, actually the original F/G news media release states in relevant part:

"Shintani was last seen in the parking lot of the base camp on the evening of June 8. His vehicle was found in the Pinkham Notch parking lot after his sister reported him missing on June 16."

This does not mean that his vehicle was observed to be at PNVC from June 8 to June 16. It might have been there continuously during that period, but that's not what the release states.

Closure in progress.

All good thoughts, prayers and blessings to NHF&G, AVSAR, and others associated with the recovery effort in progress late this afternoon into this evening.

I thank them for the tough work they are called to do, and wish them safe passage.

I'm grateful that Mr. Shintani's family will have closure, and I thank them for their patience and grace during this difficult time.

Domo sumimasen.

I'm sure there will be a release from NHF&G, if not later this evening, then early tomorrow.

Breeze

Last edited:
All good thoughts, prayers and blessings to NHF&G, AVSAR, and others associated with the recovery effort in progress late this afternoon into this evening.

I thank them for the tough work they are called to do, and wish them safe passage.

I'm grateful that Mr. Shintani's family will have closure, and I thank them for their patience and grace during this difficult time.

Domo sumimasen.

I'm sure there will be a release from NHF&G, if not later this evening, then early tomorrow.

Breeze

Breeze - I couldn't find anything...are you saying they found him?

Just got a look at the map with the NEK-9/UVWRT search areas and the location of the found body. He was well outside their search area - I have no idea about any other teams' areas.

As an FYI, the teams searched the area the email talked about (east of Hermit Lake, west of PNVC) thoroughly - I hope that person doesn't continue to think no one was looking there.

Breeze - I, too, am glad the family will have closure. Even if this is not Mr. Shintani (awaiting autopsy), some family will get closure.

Shame

We climbed Lion Head on the 27th. With rain and thunder rolling across the ridge dozens of hikers scattered, seeking shelter under the krummholz, rocks, whatever. I thought at that time if Mr. Shintani had done this he might never be found in there, under the tangle of black spruce.

The weather the day he went missing was nasty, 20-45mph winds all day which was pretty normal, but mixed with rain and dropping temps very bad. Temps dropped to freezing with zero visibility at 5pm on the 9th.

20090609_170838_conditions-vi.png

Sad, but I'm glad they found him. I would hate to think of a family member lost out there and never found. Hopefully this will bring his family some closure. Thoughts and prayers.

KDT

Any positive ID yet? Not that I've seen any reports of any other missing folks, but you'd think there would have been a confirmation announcement by now.

Not yet

Nothing yet on NHF&G's website. Haven't checked the local news, though. They may be waiting until family members are contacted.

KDT

Nothing yet on NHF&G's website. Haven't checked the local news, though. They may be waiting until family members are contacted.

KDT

I guess that's what I figured - they may be waiting for the family to come in from Toronto.

I've been up Washington many times and I can't seem to figure out where a person would be able to find adequate shelter from the weather at .75 of a mile from the summit on Lion Head above timberline. The only place that seems remotely logical would be in the krummholz near the Alpine Garden junction. There must be some spots that will get you out of the wind along that area of Lion Head but I've never had to go off trail or look for shelter in bad weather.

Can anyone elaborate on exactly where this hiker was found?

Last edited:
I've been up Washington many times and I can't seem to figure out where a person would be able to find adequate shelter from the weather at .75 of a mile from the summit on Lion Head above timberline. The only place that seems remotely logical would be in the krummholz near the Alpine Garden junction. There must be some spots that will get you out of the wind along that area of Lion Head but I've never had to go off trail or look for shelter in bad weather.

There have been at least two other fatalities with similar circumstances that I can recall. Benjamin Chandler, aged 75, hiked up Washington in 1856. Then he went missing. Despite efforts of searchers, some his family, he wasn't found until the next year in July. His body was found only .5 miles east of the summit. Another was Harry W Hunter, 22 years old, who vanished in September of 1874. His body wasn't found until 1880 and then by three Amherst students. He was under an overhanging rock on the Crawford Path side of the summit cone.
I think a person under duress from weather can cram into some real tight shelter when they need to.
It will be revealing when they elaborate on where he was found. What a sad incident and loss.

As one who has had to hunker down for about 45 minutes before along the Presidentials, you would be suprised where you can go if you are desperate. Get a large enough rock, lay down in the in the leeside, and pray. I had a closed foam matt and my jacket, so I was actually quite comfortable. I wouldn't have wanted to stay a night like that, but there are many places between the rocks and krummolz to dive into if it's life or death.

Identity of body from Mt. Washington still unknown

MOUNT WASHINGTON — Authorities are still determining the identity of a body recovered Monday evening near a trail on Mount Washington.

The body was recovered from the mountain and transferred to the state medical examiner’s office in Concord for an autopsy that would help identify the body on Tuesday, said a press release regarding the incident.Detective Sergeant Michael Marshall, of New Hampshire State Police, said the investigation is on-going, the medical examiner’s office is still trying to determine the identity and there was little new information regarding the incident.

He added the body does appear to be that of a male subject.Hikers going through the area noticed the body and reported it to authorities Monday afternoon. Crews hiked to the scene to confirm the location, according to a press release. The body was located about three-quarters of a mile from the top of the mountain.

Sergeant Wayne Saunders, of New Hampshire Fish and Game, said the body was located about 40 yards off Lion’s Head Trail, underneath a rock ledge. He added the body wouldn’t have been visible from the air or the path.

“[The body] was in a state of decomposition,” said Saunders. “It had been exposed to the elements for some time.

”Search and Rescue crews brought the body to the summit of Mount Washington and it was taken down the Auto Road.

Conservation officers from Fish and Game, members of the Androscoggin Valley Rescue, Mt Washington State Park personnel, the medical examiner and state police all responded to the scene. Saunders said personnel from the Appalachian Mountain Club were also helpful during the recovery efforts.

State police were called in to handle the investigation.

Saunders said there haven’t been any recent reports of people missing in the area, except for a 70-year old Canadian man who was reported missing in June.

Peter Shantani, of Napanee, Ontario, was reported missing on June 16. Fish and game and other parties conducted a full search of the area, but the search was called off on June 19.

Given the recent weather conditions, Saunders said people are being urged to use caution while hiking. He added people should be adequately prepared for changing weather pat-terns, should be aware of their path and not travel alone while hiking.

Source: Berlin Daily Sun, July 8, 2009

this makes it even more mysterious

Who could THIS hiker be, and where is the Japanese-Canadian man? It's unnerving, really. Take care out there, folks.

Who could THIS hiker be, and where is the Japanese-Canadian man? It's unnerving, really. Take care out there, folks.

Quoting above: "Saunders said there haven’t been any recent reports of people missing in the area, except for a 70-year old Canadian man who was reported missing in June. Peter Shantani, of Napanee, Ontario, was reported missing on June 16."

He was one in the same man....