Missing Hiker - Mt Washington Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a look at the map with the NEK-9/UVWRT search areas and the location of the found body. He was well outside their search area - I have no idea about any other teams' areas.

As an FYI, the teams searched the area the email talked about (east of Hermit Lake, west of PNVC) thoroughly - I hope that person doesn't continue to think no one was looking there.

Breeze - I, too, am glad the family will have closure. Even if this is not Mr. Shintani (awaiting autopsy), some family will get closure.

Gwynna, that there WILL be closure is the most important part of this particular recovery, for A family and all the SAR involved.. There may be a wait for officialdom to declare a positive ID. It was an unattended death and there must be an international protocol in such cases.

Mr. Shintani's family has been monitoring this site, and I offer this up in hope for them that there will be a positive ID.

Peter Shintani is currently the only ( reported) missing person in the area.

Breeze

Peter Shintani is currently the only ( reported) missing person in the area.

Wasn't there also a guy who went missing in that area a year or two ago? I forget when or the specifics, but it was rumored that he was running away from bankruptcy or something?

A man I believe was from Vermont went missing a year or 2 ago and I don't believe he was found.

I'm no expert, but I'd think they could tell the difference pretty quickly between a body that's been there 1-2 years, or 4-6 weeks. And even if they can't, then they would probably consult with Boston's team or something to get more advanced help...

Wasn't there also a guy who went missing in that area a year or two ago? I forget when or the specifics, but it was rumored that he was running away from bankruptcy or something?

Yeah, I remember that. I dont remember the specifics either but I recall thinking that this guy might be faking it. I dont think there was any closure to that story, at least not that I'm aware of.

Fish & Game official release

BODY FOUND ON MOUNT WASHINGTON IDENTIFIED AS THAT OF LOST CANADIAN HIKER

CONCORD, N.H. -- A body recovered on Mount Washington on the evening of July 6,
2009, has been identified as that of Peter Shintani, age 70, of Napanee, Ontario,
according to Sgt. Wayne Saunders of the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.

Body found on mount washington identified as that of lost canadian hiker

ews from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department July 10, 2009
Phone: (603) 271-3211
Email: [email protected]
For information and online licenses, visit http://www.wildnh.com

Sgt. Wayne Saunders: 603-788-3164
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
July 10, 2009

BODY FOUND ON MOUNT WASHINGTON IDENTIFIED AS THAT OF LOST CANADIAN HIKER

CONCORD, N.H. -- A body recovered on Mount Washington on the evening of July 6, 2009, has been identified as that of Peter Shintani, age 70, of Napanee, Ontario, according to Sgt. Wayne Saunders of the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.*

Hikers had reported finding a body off the Lion's Head Trail on Mount Washington, the highest peak in New Hampshire's White Mountains, late Monday afternoon.*Personnel from the Mount Washington State Park hiked to the area and confirmed the location of the body, approximately three-quarters of a mile from the top of the mountain.*It was a few hundred feet from the trail, hidden from view from the trail or from the air by rocky ledges.*Conservation Officers from the N.H. Fish and Game Department, members of the Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue Team and personnel from the Mount Washington State Park hiked to the location, along with a Medical Examiner and State Police Troop F Detective Sgt. Michael Marshall, who began an investigation at the scene. The body was transported to the summit of Mount Washington and taken down the mountain via the auto road. State Police then sent the body to the State Medical Examiners Office in Concord, N.H., for an autopsy and positive
identification.

Shintani had been missing for more than a week before his absence was reported on June 16, 2009.*An extensive ground and air search of the Mount Washington area was launched, but failed to locate any sign of him. In all, more than 70 rescuers and a N.H. Army National Guard helicopter combed the rugged mountain area during the three-day search, which was finally called off on June 18, 2009.*Following the search, N.H. Fish and Game continued to seek information from the hiking community about possible sightings or other clues.*Shintani's sister in Ontario has been notified of the positive identification.

No further information is available at this time.*

For information on being safe while hiking, visit http://www.hikesafe.com.

I wonder if he made it to the summit? I hope so. It was written that he tried before and turned around because of weather. Reminds me of George Mallory's body being found below the summit of Everest and the debate if he was the first man to climb Everest.

I wonder if he made it to the summit? I hope so. It was written that he tried before and turned around because of weather. Reminds me of George Mallory's body being found below the summit of Everest and the debate if he was the first man to climb Everest.

I was thinking the same thing, about Shintani and also Mallory.

(Thanks, too for the link to the Napanee Guide article.)