Pisgah, Indian Steam, Cow (no Boil)--ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
Given the original weather forecast, I was hoping to clean up a bunch of peaks near Eustis Maine this Wed, Thurs, maybe Friday-thought I had a well reasoned plan to do as many whacks as my body would allow.

-I should probably consider trying glaciated peaks given my 2AM start from Orrington on Wed. As I was winging my way near Canaan (Skowhegan?), I braked hard when I saw the eyes of many "aliens" on the road ahead; didn't look like deer and I was sure it wasn't moose-turned out to be about 25 cows-close call

Before the TR, a thanks to all of those on nebush who helped me with ideas on approach and lines--DR (i dare not mention his name here):), NDave, JP, DS, HF, MH Albee--forgive me if I forget anyone--these would have been harder without your advice.

Pisgah 3390'--I passed thought Stratton and Eustis and saw 5 "real" moose within a mile near Ledge Hill on Rt27--they're everywhere up there. I soon turned up a dirt road I had already scouted across from Natanis Lake and headed for Pisgah. The road's a bit rough with some sharp stones and 2 culvert issues, but I had no problem reaching my projected jumping off spot on a bend "closest" to the summit-straight line was about a mile and 1350'. The first 60% of the hike was fairly easy as I followed overgrown log roads on fairly easy terrain. The I hit a band of pretty high, very sheer cliffs around 2600' (the kind you might fall off coming down if not careful) followed by bothersome blowdown, rock traps, etc. The going eased off and then there was the inevitable band of thick/blowdown balsam before the summit. No problem with "top" , just before 7AM-all the usual suspects "in the jar"--placed by DC-JP, JSwan, HerbF,dms,DR, MH1Step,PPen,MJ,Albee etc. I think a line a bit to the north might make for an easier climb.

Indian Stream 2930'-my original plan to drive in at Natanis Pond and weave around the north side to the "back" of Indian Stream Mt was foiled when the campground owners told me I'd never make it through. Fortunately I had a backup coming in about 3 miles further north off Rt 27 and finding the same road-all well until I was stopped by a locked gate at Halfmile Stream about a mile before my planned "spot"-no big deal except it added a few hot road miles and another 550' of "up" to what was for me to be a long day. The first 3/4 of the hike were again "easy" -all on overgrown log roads; the last quarter was "scrappy" (thanks 1Step) and I found an obvious small wooded top with some good peek-a-boo Views. The expected JP jar was lone gone. Strangle I saw a lot of deer (not moose) on this hike. Uneventful descent, but gagging for water.

Zipped back down 27 to Eustis, grabbed a few steamed dogs and a liter of Pepsi and off to find a way in to Boil. After "advice", I planned to go about 11 miles in on the Alder Stream Rd and get to the top in a straight shot from the east. The road in was very rough shape and showed signs of really recent work. I found how recent when I saw a guy in a very large piece of equipment repairing huge holes at the 3? mile mark. We talked as best we could given the language difficulty and he told me that the gravel pit about 10 miles in (for Kibby wind project) was tearing the hell out of the road. He said I'd get through--you jest. After another 1.7 hellish miles, I came to a spot on a hill that almost swallowed the Subaru-i needed a tank. As I passed him on the way out, he said it would be fixed before "tomorrow--ha ha.

Plan B-try Cow 3645'-I headed down to the Tim Pond Rd where I knew I'd be "OK" as I was in about 12 miles to do Black a few weeks ago. Of course this is the week everyone seems to be grading and I had to travel a freshly graded road in--if you aren't familiar with this, sure it needs done, but you never want to be the first to use it as all the rocks have been "turned up" with their pointy ends seeking your tires (yes, i carry 2 spares). Got back in just fine and tried approach from the south of Cow (thanks Dave , Al, DR) as opposed to one I had planned from the east side-4 bad washouts on the side road in off Tim Pond and park way before I planned when I hit a "chasm". As suggested to me this was indeed a "sweet whack"--really nice journey. It was very open until I got high up and had danced for 15 minutes with 2 large bull moose and then being tired I got cute and just glanced at my next planned direction w/o thinking--wowsa, it was one from my alternate approach and I ended up in the col on the NE side of Cow rather than the SW. I wondered why it was taking so long. So tired, I tried to go around rather than over any blowdown . Finally figured it out and all went smoothly-so happy to find an easy "can" to spot-placed by DC,pretty much the same list as from Pisgah inside and add Pat and Audrey. I found a much better line down and being really whipped headed for the Maine Roadhouse and some grease in Stratton

(if your reading, continued in next TR)

Last edited:
I came down the way you went up Pisgah about a month ago - that is a great old hidden logging road by the bend in the road, huh? Aside from the cliffs, I think this is the easiest approach. Unfortunately, you missed the spectacular views from the swath just a quarter mile north. There is also a brand-new (2008) 4' high stainless boundary marker at the high point on the swath.

Cow Ridge was another great 'whack. I can't believe you subjected your car to those washouts just to save 1/3 of a mile of road walk! Is the antler that I left at the summit still intact?

Hi Al-

yeah, the log roads on Pisgah were a nice surprise and the cliffs a bit startling (i could see it was going to be steep there, but didn't expect those sheer rocks)

i had read your? (and another account) of the washouts on the Cow approach, but i was a bit tired and crazed re time by then (turned out not to be an issue) and just plunged ahead-glad for that extra 2" clearance on Forester vs Outback-i am still wondering about the approach form the east, but think that may wait awhile

yes, the moose antler was still on Cow-i actually sat on it in my exhaustion--the two moose i encountered in the "open" spots on ascent kept moving just ahead of me were very reluctant to let me pass them

be well

Last edited:
The cliffs on Pisgah are intense, they come complete with deep clefts, if you were alone and fell into one of those you might never be found. Jim to avoid the construction on Alder Stream Road you can approach Boil from the west on Canada Road which is "ususally" in driveable condition.

Last edited:
D-

-glad for your comment on Pisgah cliffs; i thought i was getting "soft" re my concern when i saw them-a few deep, scary places

-have you or anyone been up Canada Rd of late?-i had looked at this as possible alternative should Alder Stream Rd remain a mess, but hesitated to explore due to long drive in--i see a gate at Crowley Brook, but assume i could hike past and up Canada to Roadrunner Rd and then whack Boil from the south?--as another possibility, i think in the past others have driven? part way up the road to the east of Cow and had a long walk on roads to the spot i was hoping to get to east of Boil near Middle Alder Brook when i tried the Alder Brook Rd