Lafayette Musings 6/17/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
The Lafayette loop via Old Bridle Path and Falling Waters Trail is undoubtedly one of the most scenic in the White Mountains, but is not one of my favorites due to overcrowding and eroded approach trails. But I was looking for a hike with some physical difficulty but little thinking required for the hiking and driving, and this seemed about right. Weather was some of the best I have seen in the Whites and I had a fine hike.

The first thing I noticed was a pay phone at the trailhead, presumably placed after the accident last year when nobody knew to go under the underpass to the phone at the campground. Given that pay phones are now an endangered species, it must have taken some clout or some $$ to get it there.

The state and feds still aren't doing well on handling trails that cross their boundaries. On the map board at the kiosk, the Old Bridle Path WMNF no-camping area is shown as extending all the way to the trailhead which would seem to imply that you can camp in that area as long as you are far enough from the trail - actually no camping is allowed anywhere in the state park except at the campground. The actual signing along the trail
is different and even worse - the sign at the Forest boundary says the restricted area ends but there is no sign for the state park restrictions.

The upper part of Old Bridle Path is heavily overgrown to where you are often rubbing on branches - the corridor is often only 18" wide instead of the designated 48". This is unreasonable on such a heavily-used trail and if the adopters can't handle it then the paid crew needs to be sent. At one time, a club I used to belong to were the adopters there and I was sent out by myself to do pruning while everybody else dug waterbars. In some areas the brush was too thick to dispose of cut branches, but it was windy enough that I just tossed them in the air and let the wind take them to one side.

On the way up I was passed by several clusters of young men in white polo shirts and long khaki pants, maybe 40 in all, who seemed too old and too well dressed for the typical camp group. They turned out to be from a seminary in CT and one of them even gave me a blessing.

Just beyond N Lincoln I was passed by 3 trailrunners doing the Pemi loop, although they had been out twice as long and covered 5 times my distance they still looked a lot fresher than I did. Right after I met an elderly couple who had come up Falling Waters Trail and were beat, they were concerned about making the hut for official dinner. So there were all
kinds out there.

After the intense trailwork on the ridge, Falling Waters is a disgrace with loose rocks then large rocks in the footway. The worst section is between the 2nd and 3rd crossings downhill (3rd and 4th uphill) where a side channel has pretty much taken over the trail. A relocation to avoid the double crossing would be both safer and more environmentally sound
not to mention easier for hikers.

On the way up I was passed by several clusters of young men in white polo shirts and long khaki pants, maybe 40 in all, who seemed too old and too well dressed for the typical camp group. They turned out to be from a seminary in CT and one of them even gave me a blessing.

Franconia Notch must be a regular summer hiking destination for them, as we encountered them in about the same numbers and identically attired in June '04, ascending the Liberty Springs Trail. Seminarians are also said to be an endangered species, so I'm glad they're persisting.

Last edited:
Just beyond N Lincoln I was passed by 3 trailrunners doing the Pemi loop, although they had been out twice as long and covered 5 times my distance they still looked a lot fresher than I did.

I'm just curious: what time was it? Were they doing it counter-clockwise (I assume so)? I was also doing the Pemi loop that day (adding West Bond along the way) and I thought I was the only one... I parked at Lincoln Woods trailhead at 4 AM, left at 4:45 and came back at 6:50 PM, so either they started earlier than me or were behind me all the time (or passed me while I was on West Bond).

Roy - I think the pay phone has been there a long time. I can't tell you exactly how many, but ... I seem to recall it being there at least 6 or 8 years, but ... I could be wrong.

I agree that the upper part of the trail is in some need of brushing out. I had similar thoughts as yours when I was last up there in April.

What is a welcome improvement over the past 5 years or so are the large cairns built between treeline & Little Haystack. Given the strong prevailing winds, especially in winter, foot prints are often obliterated in minutes, which made it difficult sometimes for hikers doing the loop clockwise to find the 'escape-hatch' back into the safety of the trees.

There was one relocation on the Falling Waters trail a few years ago and I have often wondered if I might have had something to with it.

It was back in 2004 or 2005. The trail went up the right side of the cascade-falls then crossed over the falls and continued up the left side. As I was crossing over the falls my feet went out from under me and down I went. As I was sliding down those falls all I could think of was "You've got to miss those rocks at the bottom." :eek: I managed to straddle them and rolled a few times with no real damage.:)

A ranger was coming up and saw the whole thing and asked if I was all right. It was an exciting adventure, but I didn't think much more about it until the next time I went up that trail and found it had been relocated with a crossing at the bottom and the trail rerouted to go up the left side.

The funniest part of the whole thing was the look on Duffy's face like "You don't really think I'm going to do that do you?" :rolleyes: He came running back down the trail.

I'm just curious: what time was it? Were they doing it counter-clockwise (I assume so)? I was also doing the Pemi loop that day (adding West Bond along the way) and I thought I was the only one... I parked at Lincoln Woods trailhead at 4 AM, left at 4:45 and came back at 6:50 PM, so either they started earlier than me or were behind me all the time (or passed me while I was on West Bond).

I believe they were Sherpa John and company:

http://sherpajohn.blogspot.com/2009/06/day-on-pemi-loop.html

they did it in 12:24, his slowest time

Last edited:
Then why were the people complaining about the lack of one after the death on Falling Waters?
I hadn't heard of this complaint. I know that cell service right in the notch is pretty nil, despite what appears to be tower on Cannon. If you've heard complaints, could it be re: cell reception at the TH?

Then why were the people complaining about the lack of one after the death on Falling Waters?

The complaint I remember was about cell coverage, not the pay phones at the trailhead. It has been there for several years, well before the tradgedy on FW.

I don't recall hearing complaints about lack of pay phone, only that there was no cell coverage at the incident site. (Both issues may have been raised.)

They were also complaining about the lack of a helicopter on permanent standby for rescue, and that the Forest Service hadn't clearly marked every rock that might fall.

They were also complaining about the lack of a helicopter on permanent standby for rescue, and that the Forest Service hadn't clearly marked every rock that might fall.

Which was absolutely ridiculous.

The upper part of Old Bridle Path is heavily overgrown to where you are often rubbing on branches - the corridor is often only 18" wide instead of the designated 48". This is unreasonable on such a heavily-used trail and if the adopters can't handle it then the paid crew needs to be sent......

....On the way up I was passed by several clusters of young men in white polo shirts and long khaki pants, maybe 40 in all, who seemed too old and too well dressed for the typical camp group. They turned out to be from a seminary in CT and one of them even gave me a blessing.

I remember thinking the same thing one of the last times I was up Old Bridle. I had to step into the brush to let a large group pass, not even wide enough for two people.

You see all types on the more popular routes, makes things interesting. I've seen a big group of seminary or bible camp kids (10-15 yr olds?) on the Morgan-Percival trail loop. Weird seeing khakis and collared shirts while hiking but no big deal. Unfortunately, what was a big deal to me, was when we popped out of the trees on Percival a few of the kids were ripping apart a small spruce tree. I had to say something, so I asked the kids, "What God would think" of them destroying one of his creations. They looked ashamed and stopped, proceeded down to the area around the boulder cave below the summit and were jumping from the tops of one huge boulder to another (the two boulders that form the cave there if you're familiar.) I thought I was gonna witness a kid falling to his death and thinking, "these poor kids must not get out much." I was kind of surprised at the lack of sensible adult supervision over such young kids.

... I was kind of surprised at the lack of sensible adult supervision over such young kids.

Ever watch kids behaving like that and catch yourself thinking "I'd feel badly if one of them got hurt. But I'd get over it quickly"?;)

The complaint I remember was about cell coverage, not the pay phones at the trailhead. It has been there for several years, well before the tradgedy on FW.

All I know is what I read in the papers:
"Gruneich questioned whether more could have been done to save Qin, considering she was still conscious and talking before she was pronounced dead about three hours after the accident. He wonders whether the use of a medical helicopter could have quickened the response time. He also lamented poor cellphone reception in the area, and said a landline at the head of the trail might have helped the family alert authorities sooner."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/05/11/tourists_kin_asks_if_death_had_to_happen/

I've done that loop a couple of times in my short hiking career. Actually it was the first hike I ever did. Me & my brother did it up Bridle and down FW. It was January so I didn't get to see the "trail". Man that was a terrific day for us. Highest winds I've ever been in, I think. We saw some guy, we were leap frogging with on the way up, get blown off his feet as he was going over that bump on the North side of Lincoln. Subzero temps. It was pretty cool. Total bluebird day. It took us just under five hours.

The only downer was that some poor fella separated from his group and got lost in a storm the day before and wound up in the Pemi for a night of two. Lucky though when they found him, a day or two later, he was pretty much unharmed.

Last summer I went up Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack with a co-worker and his friend. It was the first time I hiked up there in the summer, other than a few approaches, Eaglet/Cannon. It is something else, really beautiful up there. The view up there, plus the accessibility, makes it one of my favorite hikes I've done.

To comment on the OPs thoughts, I like how rugged the trail is but agree it could use some help. I don't see a problem with rocks in the trail, but there are some crossings that some folks cut up and down the bank to find easier ground, or that could be hazardous in even moderate water.

Who is responsible for trail maintenance up there AMC? adopters? state? feds? Just curious who does the paperwork and who does the field work.

Joe.