NH Campsite Tax

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks, as part of the new NH budget that is about to be approved, fees for campsites will be covered under the room and meals tax of 8%. Therefore as soon as it takes effect, your favorite campground is going to be charging this tax (or they will be eating it). Not sure how the AMC is going to cover fees at backcountry sites or if these fees apply at WMNF campgrounds? I expect someone can find a link to the details but I figured I would kick off the thread.

The tax apparently applies to prepayments for sites that already were rented for the summer, so seasonal campers are going to get hit with some sort of surcharge for any nights after the law goes in effect.

There are some folks protesting the fees at the statehouse, but odds are its a done deal.

As a NH resident, I guess I should thank all the visitors who will contribute to the state budget's shortfall on their summer trips :eek:. It was this or slot machines.

I wonder if the free sites in the WMNF are going to get busy ?

Room and meal tax going up in Maine too. Don't know if it applies to camping.

Expenses are increasing for everyone and it would seem that states that rely on tourist dollars will need to get more of the tourist dollar to keep up with the expense of providing the infrastructure the tourists use. An unfortunate but necessary fact of life from my view.

I hate to see any taxes or fees go up but, NH does more with less than any other state I'm aware of so I won't lose any sleep over this.

From State Senator and avid hiker Jeb Bradley

The Rooms and Meals tax got increased 12.5%. I have written before that this huge increase will make our states less competitive for tours, vacations, conventions, and weddings. But budget writers slapped this tax for the first time on campgrounds – without a public hearing. Campground owners are outraged at this abuse of process. One owner felt so betrayed by the Legislature not having a public hearing, he told me the only people qualified to serve in the Statehouse are the janitors. Campers arriving this summer may be just as angry when they discover this new "marshmallow tax". Again, revenue projections may suffer if campers take their marshmallows elsewhere.

This will apply to all AMC facilities in NH

Not positive but I do not think NH can apply there tax to WMNF campsites. Something about town/state/federal aggencies cannot tax another.

Not positive but I do not think NH can apply there tax to WMNF campsites. Something about town/state/federal aggencies cannot tax another.
I pay sales tax on WMNF parking passes, and apparently this is considered acceptable by the Feds (found some direction on it from an Arizona national forest). Does the FS actually run any of the campgrounds in the Whites anymore? Might that affect things?

Don't know if the situations are analagous (it'd probably take a lawyer or three), but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I pay sales tax on WMNF parking passes,

Not to stir a revolt or anything but that sounds like the Stamp Act to me. Time to heat up the tar, get the rails and ...feathers, hmmmm where do ya get a ton of feathers.

I wonder what will happen if we just camp but don't pay? They can't afford to keep the prisoners that they already have. Hey, three hots and a cot ain't all that bad.

I pay sales tax on WMNF parking passes, and apparently this is considered acceptable by the Feds (found some direction on it from an Arizona national forest). Does the FS actually run any of the campgrounds in the Whites anymore? Might that affect things?

Don't know if the situations are analagous (it'd probably take a lawyer or three), but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Currently if you rent a cabin in NH Parks (like Umbagog) you do pay rooms & meals tax. Essentially you are taxing the customer, not the agency since it is applied on top of the per nite rate.

I'm trying to figure out how it makes sense to force people to figure out a percentage on a camping fee at an iron ranger and expect them to drop extra pennies in an envelope? Calculaters will be new required features at self serve pay stations.

I'm trying to figure out how it makes sense to force people to figure out a percentage on a camping fee at an iron ranger and expect them to drop extra pennies in an envelope? Calculaters will be new required features at self serve pay stations.

If it were me, I'd figure out a new camping fee that is the correct amount to cause the total with tax to be exactly some number of whole dollars. For example, if it's originally $8 and the tax rate is 8%, make the cost $8.34 which means putting $9 in the envelope. It's a good way to slip a minor rate increase in.

Perhaps campground operators will be bright enough to charge an "Entrance fee". It costs "X" dollars to come through the gate. You can also purchase a multi day "Pass" or a "Season Ticket". They don't charge for a camp site. If we don't fight back against the ever expanding government, who will. Look at the payrolls in your town. Every new tax means there will be more government droids to collect the tax and more enforces to march around and enforce the tax.
I remember from my old high school history lessons that there were a bunch of guys in Boston that took action against some tax on tea.

Perhaps campground operators will be bright enough to charge an "Entrance fee". It costs "X" dollars to come through the gate.

Interesting concept (things like this have been done in other industries to skirt new taxes) - I wouldn't be surprised if a few campgrounds give that a go. Of course, if any private campgrounds who have hiking trails try that, it'll hurt day hikers.

Well, if a few extra pennies on a campsite gets your shorts all bunched up, don't look at car rental costs at the Manchester Airport.

The added fees/taxes/levies add about 1/3 to the cost of the rental. In all fairness, MHT isn't alone in this ripoff, but not all airports resort to this.

I wonder what will happen if we just camp but don't pay? They can't afford to keep the prisoners that they already have. Hey, three hots and a cot ain't all that bad.

Be careful what you ask for. Most if not all of the WMNF campgrounds are tightly woven already with the local officials. I pulled into Hancock one time last season late at night and camped in my car. It was an off time of year and I was too lazy to go pay the Iron Ranger. I awoke the next morning to a note on my windsheild that read: "Please pay the Campground Fee. Your Make,Model, and License Plate have been recorded and the local Authorities have been notified of your presence".:eek:

Not sure why I rate, but just got this eMail attach from Sate of NH. Campsites are now hotels (at least for tax purposes):

June 30, 2009

Dear Tourism Partner,

On June 26, 2009 the New Hampshire Legislature passed a proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2010 which included an increase in the Meals and Rooms Tax from 8% to 9%. The Governor of New Hampshire officially signed and approved the budget today.

We are writing to inform you that this change goes into effect as of July 1, 2009. Please know that the law has also added “campsites” to the definition of “hotels” requiring any campsites rented (campgrounds located on U.S. Government property are exempt) to be charged a 9% Meals and Rooms Tax.

We encourage you to connect with the hotels and campgrounds in New Hampshire where you have existing contracts to determine any potential changes.

As many states in the United States and specifically New England are going through a similar process, we encourage you to check with your state contact about any anticipated rate changes.

Thank you for your continued support in promoting New Hampshire as a travel destination.

Kind regards,

Alice DeSouza
Director, New Hampshire Division of Travel and Tourism Development