New Hotel @ Mt. Washington Auto Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billski

Reaction score
Of interest to hikers and skiers. This will bring beds closer to Wildcat, but could have a negative impact on Tuckerman's IMO.

I have snipped the cogent pieces of the article:

Source: mtwashingonvalley.com, Conway Daily Sun

"The Mount Washington Auto Road this week announced plans to construct a new Glen House hotel at the base of Mount Washington.
Groundbreaking for the estimated $11 million project is scheduled for spring 2010, with construction to continue for approximately 15 months,
that the hotel will complement the already existing cross-country ski and hiking facilities and base lodge at Great Glen Trails Outdoor Center as well as the Mount Washington Auto Road,
The hotel will be built on a level bluff on a hillside north of what is called the Honeymoon Cottage, at an elevation approximately 70 feet above the existing parking lot, and Great Glen Trails lodge.
held talks with its neighbors in the notch, including officials of Wildcat Mountain Ski Area, which is located on U.S. Forest Service land and which operates under a lease there, and the Appalachian Mountain Club.
Because it has a lease and does not own the property, Wildcat ... does not have the ability to build condominiums or a hotel of its own.
The new hotel would not only serve Great Glen Trails and Auto Road guests, but could expect to see usage by Wildcat skiers and mountain hikers as well.
The facility will offer room rates that Wemyss said would be equivalent to a 3.5-star rating.
“It won't be high end if you think the Balsams or the Mount Washington are high end. But we are aiming at an upscale market. It will be a full-service hotel with a full-service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner depending on the season — but we will be open year-round, because April for us when other resorts slow down could be busier as Tuckerman Ravine and all of its spring skiing is located just down Route 16.
Although conceptual in design at this stage, it is expected that the Glen House will embody the look and feel of a New England mountain lodge "

Glen House 5.0

This will be the fifth reincarnation of the Glen House, an historic White Mountain hotel originally built in in the mid-1800s and rebuilt four times after fires. The last version burned down in the 1960s. The completion of Glen House 5.0 in 2011 is timed to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the Auto Road. The owners of the Auto Road are the builders. If actually completed, the Glen House will join the Mountain View Grand in Lancaster as recent reincarnations of WM grand hotels. The Glen House was pricey then--$4.50 in the 1800s--and will undoubtedly be "upscale" this time around too. It is more likely pitched at skiers and Auto Road tourists than at hikers although hikers apparently have a fairly high disposable income for clothing, gear, toys, travel and hut prices. I would be interested to know the marketing strategy.

Being in the middle of a National Forest, and supposedly trying to look like a rustic NH lodge, they would get big points in my book if they go for some level of LEED certification. In fact, if it was me on the design review board I would be a pain in the ass and demand it for this project.

Would be nice to see somebody set the bar high on a public platform like a big WMNF hotel. Especially since their main business is sending gas guzzling SUVs up a mountain!

Last edited:
Most hikers drive to the trail heads in those same SUVs. You can't blame one without blaming the other.

80 rooms

is a pretty good-sized hotel in this area. I'll be shocked if it survives, esp. in this economy. If the owners were wise they would build it in two or three phases and see how business goes. Seems a strange proposition given the well documented struggles of the Mt. Washington and other hotels in the area.

is a pretty good-sized hotel in this area. I'll be shocked if it survives, esp. in this economy. If the owners were wise they would build it in two or three phases and see how business goes. Seems a strange proposition given the well documented struggles of the Mt. Washington and other hotels in the area.

Lately the drift has been north from North Condo, er, North Conway to Gorham, which is getting downright gentrified, and this fits in with the trend. The Auto Road people have been intrepid. They expanded the tourism on the Auto Road to winter services: they survived, I think, the fire at Great Glen and seemed to come out on top. They've got money, expertise, or both, so they may just make a go of this improbable sounding venture.

Gotta be a trend for more upscale lodging. Look around. First the Mt Washington Hotel winterizes so it can stay open year around. Then AMC builds the Highland Center. So, it really shouldn't be surprizing that the Auto Road folks want to cash in on the trend.

Being in the middle of a National Forest, and supposedly trying to look like a rustic NH lodge, they would get big points in my book if they go for some level of LEED certification. In fact, if it was me on the design review board I would be a pain in the ass and demand it for this project.

Aside from the social/political benefits of doing so, energy efficiency makes good financial sence in today's world and is being adopted on a regular basis. Big corporations like the good press of building "green" but they also like the other green that goes along with it. Reduced hassles from local groups in permitting, reduced energy costs and a big benefit in marketing once it's open.

There's nothing wrong with making a few more dollars by doing something the right way.

The autoroad sold a big block of land to the WMNF around 1990. As part of the deal, they got some sort of assurances that they could develop the remainder of the property including hotels and condos. I believe the great glen development and building was phase 1 of the plan, although I beleive that a large part of Great Glen was funded by a third party, that sold out to the autoroad fairly quickly. I expect the the loss of the great glen building delayed things a bit but the long term plan was always in place.

I beleive that there already is some sustainability incorporated in the current complex as there appears to have been a small hydroelectric generator plant in place at the base of the autoroad for many years. Its not real obvious but its in a small shed and discharges that runs by the complex.

It is more likely pitched at skiers and Auto Road tourists than at hikers although hikers apparently have a fairly high disposable income for clothing, gear, toys, travel and hut prices. I would be interested to know the marketing strategy.
And some of us hikers have family that don't like hiking and prefer to stay in "nice" places. Not high end, but not the Schoolhouse Motel either. This could be a nice vacation "base camp" alternative for someone like myself.

Subarus are not SUVs. ;)
I love my Outback, but it only gets 26 MPH on the highway. I try to offset that by carpooling where ever I go, but we are all part of the problem.

I guess my point is that I don't see the need to hold this new development to a significantly higher standard than I would for a new hotel being built in Gorham or Twin Mountain. Everyone who goes up north for recreation or vacation is part of the problem, and everyone can be part of the solution.

I don't have a problem with it in principle. I'd like to see it also have a set-up like the Highland Center where you could rent equipment. Also, all "green eyes" will be watching to see how environmentally conscience the construction will be.

Good for the Auto Road company. They seem to have a record of accomplishment with their business ventures. I wish them well and look forward to this new establishment. Perhaps a new place for Mr & Mrs Doug to stay and dine some day.

The Berlin Daily Sun had a front page article on the new "Glen House hotel" on Friday 6/26. I haven't been able to find it online, but my neanderthal computer doesn't do well with large PDF files. I have it in print, and it is more extensive/not as edited as I have seen in the Conway or Manchester papers, or by others with special interests.

As an employee of the Auto Road, this isn't exactly new "in concept" to any of us, because it has been kicked around for a few years.

Our employee orientation was a week ago tonight, and the last part of the meeting was "an overview" of the project.

The annualized average room rate is targeted at $157/night. Low season that may translate as as low as $90's and high season, twice that.

It is being built to LEED specifications. It will be uphill and north of the current building cluster, sited to have the dead center focal point on Jefferson/ Great Gulf, with a wider view from the Great Room and restaurant encompassing as much of the Northern Presi range as weather will allow.

80 rooms total, including some **$ "suites" consisting of bedroom/sitting room. Indoor Pool, Spa, fitness center, conference/function rooms, full service restaurant with the capacity for 3 meals daily. Outdoor terrace/patio for meal/beverage service ( season and weather permitting). Connection to the Great Glen Trail system in all seasons for XC Ski, bike, hike, walk, paddle, run, rentals, instruction.

I'm sure the current " good neighbor" relationships between AMC/PNVC, Wildcat, and MWAR/GGT will be enhanced.

I'm optimistic about the project in-as-much as it will be replacing a bridge that has been washed out for many years. South of Pinkham sells out to Attitash, Cranmore, and Bretton Woods. Gorham sells out to Sunday River hugely in the bus tour industry, although Wildcat is closer.

The gut feeling from the Board of Directors for the Mt. Washington Summit Road Company was that "lodging" in Pinkham Notch has had a history of success in every incarnation of a Great Glen Hotel, and this will be no exception. I don't doubt that converting Lakes of the Clouds and Carter Notch Huts to Full Service had some impact on their findings.

Great Glen Hotel will be developed on privately owned land and the deeded ownership there predates WMNF creation. The historical parts of the location/relationship truly seem to escape most ( outsiders with presumed influence) radar.

Discussion is certainly alive and well, and that is a good thing.

Sue in Maine

The Berlin Daily Sun had a front page article on the new "Glen House hotel" ...... I don't doubt that converting Lakes of the Clouds and Carter Notch Huts to Full Service had some impact on their findings.

Thanks for providing these additional details.

Lakes has always been full service, I think.

A few years ago, I remember that the Mount Washington Observatory had an option to build a base facility on this site, but probably good that they did not, as the MWO does not have the financial-generating capacity of a "grand hotel."