Mahoosuc Traverse- Grafton Notch to Gorham

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruddy Toes

Reaction score
1 Day Mahoosuc Traverse- Grafton Notch to Gorham

Cruddy Toes and Stinky Feet went for a hike on the Appalachian Trail yesterday. It was a marathon of smelly, rotting, stinking flesh below the ankles. The weather was quite lovely for a 32 mile outing, and with two contiguous days without precipitation, the trail wasn’t a wet streambed the entire way.
Start was at 6:20 AM- We were fortunate to be dropped off at Grafton Notch by Stinky Feet’s husband, Arch Support, so no car spotting was necessary. We didn’t even put a bailout vehicle in place- we are just too lazy. Unlike most of our hikes, a leisurely pace was set, established and maintained. I think a new slowest time record was set for us, veterans of many a traverse, we took more then 16 hours start to finish- We took a liking to leisurely hiking, As our feet begin to fail us in life, its time to slow down, smell the flowers and take lots of pictures.
We both agreed that we took more photos yesterday in one day then in all our hiking together over the last 12 years. 81 photos was the final count, and with all the technical aspects of each shot-we figure we spent approximately 10 minutes per shot with set up, giggling and afterviewing- so 810 minutes of the hike was spent on taking pictures. Adding in bathroom breaks, eating breaks, chatting with hiker breaks and what not, we only hiked a total of about 64 minutes but managed to finish at 10:30PM at the parking lot off Rt 2. From Mt Hayes we chose to descend the AT (the Centennial trail) as the Mahoosuc trail ending in Gorham is all messed up since they gated the dam. SOMEONE (AMC???) PUT SOME SIGNAGE THERE!

Notes: No Bugs, and sadly No MOOSE sighted. Ice still remains in the Notch. The Canadian Jays at are over fed, and will not pose for pictures at Full Goose shelter. Someone should check the Notch for a large portly party who may still be wedged in the rocks in the middle

Equipment needed: Food, water, food, water, 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of socks, 1 pair of shorts, nose plugs for the foot stench, headlamps, camera, running shoes, a great attitude, and lots to talk about for passing the time. No foot powder allowed!

Questions:
What is origin of the name Fulling Mill Mtn? is that a joke?
Why Full Goose campsite? Why not Silly Goose shelter?
What is the easiest way to hike this section of Appalachian Trail. N-S, S-N or E-W?
Why do Stinky Feets feet smell so bad even before she starts to hike?
And the recurring question of the day- How old were you when you were born?

Look for the posting of our pictures sometime soon- after Arch Support gets home from work

Last edited:
Nice TR. Fulling Mill Mountain is presumably named for an old fulling mill -- a mill that processed wool by beating it for a long time in water until it shrank. Not sure where the location of the mill was, but I figure it was on Pond or Bull Brook.

I have always thought Full Goose was named that because it was between Fulling Mill and Goose Eye Mountains. Silly Goose might be a good name -- for the hikers who pass there.

I am in awe. It took me 4 days to go from Old Speck to Mt. Success.

That's a great hike - I'm glad you took time to photograph the flowers, the views and environment up there are incredible. I can't wait to see the pictures!