Marshall or Allen?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I might be able to make it up to the Adirondacks one more time this year. I was thinking about Marshall or Allen. In your opinions which is the better peak?

One good thing is if I do Marshall my hiking buddy could bag some of the peaks that I have already done as Marshall is the only one I have left in that area. If we do Allen that would be it for the weekend cause I would camp out at skylight brook instead of making a day trip out of it.

Any suggestions?

ADAM

Marshall, via Herbert Brook

I love that trip through the forest and then in and out of Herbert Brook. Look back around you as you climb - the opening views are wonderful.

If you have the time, stay at one of the LT's and make it an overnight, taking the time to really enjoy the mountain. One of my favorites.

If I remember, both hikes took us about the same amount of time, so you could do Allen in a day as easily as Marshall. Allen's the more interesting mountain, in my opinion. If your friend as already climbed Allen, then you may as well do Marshall.

"Better peak" is obviously subjective, but certainly Marshall would be better if you want to climb other peaks. And the route up Herbert Brook is certainly scenic and easier than the slippery, steep climb up the Allen rocks. Figure on 3-4 hours round trip for Marshall from Flowed Lands.

Last edited: