Backpacks, how many is too many?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
I seem to have gathered at least 6 different backs over the years.
I went to EMS this weekend, and bought another Osprey because I liked it and it was comfortable. (It was also 20% off)
I have a different pack for backpacking, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, rock climbing, and dayhiking. I also have a camelback for no particular reason and several lumbar packs.
Do I need professional help or are others on this board likewise affected?

There's always room for just one more for people like us. I'm always looking for the 'perfect' pack.

In our hiking room, 2 external frame packs, one 8k internal frame, another multiday but not expedition pack. Another 7 or 8 of various sizes and configurations. Large and small top loaders and panels. Even identical Ospreys( one top loader and one panel, one for summer one for winter).
Now looking for a lightweight with built-in water resevoir to emulate
my friend, Rik.

Naw, you're completely sane.

Look at it this way - you're got more than 2 pairs of socks, right?

You should feel better now.

In our hiking room, 2 external frame packs, one 8k internal frame, another multiday but not expedition pack.

Hiking ROOM? I have two plastic bins for everything but down bags and snow shoes. Can't fit it? Can't have it.

Do I need professional help ?

It's possible but difficult to determine from the info given so far.

- Are you single/solo/loner or can you rationalize the additional packs by claiming a family member or friend might need one ?

- Do you multi-backpack ? I've attached a day pack or climbing pack to my large volume pack for base-camp outings.

- Do you ever sell your packs on ebay or similar to buy and try ?

- Do you have "Steep and Cheap" on auto-elert ?

- Do you hear voices telling you "Trainwreck...you REALLY NEED another pack ?"

Let's see...

small pack for day trips (I keep my basic hiking gear stashed in here)

Large pack for overnight trips (room for a bear can *and* my winter bag)

Medium pack for gear-heavy short trips (I keep my rope and trad gear in here)

Plus
- mini-duffel for my harness etc (for climbing when somebody else supplies the rope)

- one of those drawstring bags that came with various brochures at a conference - makes a good summit pack to carry inside the big pack

- school-type backpack for everyday gym clothes

so yeah, six is just fine :)

Six seems like the right number. To wit:

-25L daypack with removable hydration pack that can be worn solo (EMS Waterslide)
-35L alpine pack (Marmot Eiger)
-40L rock climbing pack (MH Phenom)
-50L ice climbing pack w/ice tool loopz (Lowe Alpine Snow Attack 50)
-85L multi-day pack (EMS Long Trail II)
-105L expedition pack (Lowe Alpine Contour IV 90+15)

That's just for me. I'm not including the other Long Trail II for the missus or the small Jansport daypack for the daughter.

I answered "yes" to most of Chip's questions. Dunno if I need professional help, but I *do* know I'm a gear ho'...

:eek:

Do I need professional help or are others on this board likewise affected?

You are certainly not alone:D--My basement looks like an EMS store:eek:
Judy David and I all have multiple packs and gear...And I still surf for sales!!

Hiking ROOM? I have two plastic bins for everything but down bags and snow shoes. Can't fit it? Can't have it.

While I don't have a hiking room, I do subscribe to the plastic bin storage system. We live in Boston and have a private roof deck which I do utilize for tent setup/drying (aka: backyard).

It's good to know I am not alone when it comes to packs, as I have a half dozen for assorted trips and seasons.

Living in the same house for nearly 40 years gives you plenty of chance to pile things up.

I have at least 4 backpacks that I've actually been on backpacks with, and over a dozen daypacks but they're scattered all over so I can't count them.

My mother used to keep separate packs packed for different activities such as X-C ski, short hikes, long hikes, and canoeing, with enough gear that nothing had to be moved between them.

Of course this doesn't answer the original question of whether such behavior is normal :)

Sitting tight at 4 packs, but that's only because I don't have the disposable income I'd like to have! Certainly not alone there.

I have one serious backpack which does a good job for all my required uses. It is a 40L Osprey Stratos. I upgraded from a 32L so I could use it for winter. It's a bit too big for summer (although it compresses fairly well), and a bit too small for winter (can't get a sleeping bag in it.) It fits me really well and is very comfortable.

I have considered going back to a 32 or maybe even a 24 for warm-weather.

I have 4 pairs of XC skis, 2 pairs of alpine skis (my wife does too, plus skis, boots, and misc. stuff for the kids)

I have 4 bicycles - road, cyclocross, MTB, and a fixed gear road (plus my wife's 2)

I have 5 or 6 tackle boxes and a dozen or more rod + reel combos

My basement has 4 separate sections for storing the equipment for four different hobbies...

Tim

Hi, my name is Mats and I'm a gearoholic......not going into details about nr of backpacks etc.....love spending time in the gear room.....

Just two here -- one for summer, one for winter (and backpacking). Alex the one she uses now and another one that's waiting for her to grow into it.

My husband borrows my summer pack when he goes climbing. The one he used prior to borrowing mine, he used for over a decade until he just plain wore it out.

My basement has 4 separate sections for storing the equipment for four different hobbies...

<fist bump>

I hear ya, man. I've had to segregate the music stuff from the hiking/climbing stuff down in my basement.

A couple of the guitars started talking smack to several of the backpacks and I was worried that a full-on gear gang-war might break out!

:eek:

I am a self acknowledged gear slut, I'm actually kind of proud of that label. I own 8 packs but really only use three, one a 70 liter Osprey for multi-night trips, a 50 liter Black Diamond for winter day and summer over nights and a 30 liter BD for summer days and skiing. The other five tend to collect dust. I think knowing that at anytime I can personally outfit an expedition tends to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

It's possible but difficult to determine from the info given so far.

- Are you single/solo/loner or can you rationalize the additional packs by claiming a family member or friend might need one ?

Not single: Husband and daughters each have 1 pack

- Do you multi-backpack ? I've attached a day pack or climbing pack to my
large volume pack for base-camp outings.

Usually one-nighters, or 2 at most. I like luxury.

- Do you ever sell your packs on ebay or similar to buy and try ?
I can't part with ANY of my packs!!! (MEMORIES)

- Do you have "Steep and Cheap" on auto-elert ?
What is "steep and cheap" sounds like my kind of place

- Do you hear voices telling you "Trainwreck...you REALLY NEED another pack ?"

The voices tell me all sorts of good stuff...:D

I guess that this may be why I have 5 shells, 2 belay jackets, 3 sets of crampons, and 3 harnesses...Oh boy:eek:

Two big overnight backpacks, two medium size packs for big days or winter hikes, a small pack for everything else, an ultralight super-simple pack for stuffing into a larger pack when base camping, and a Camelback pack for cycling.

These accompany the big tent, medium tent, tiny tent, winter tent, and hammock. Plus countless other gear (let's not count how many shells I have).

All down on the shelves (someday to be floor-to-ceiling cabinets) in the "gear room" which is basically about 1/4 of our basement. :)

I don't think there's such a thing as too many, but a couple of years ago my wife convinced me to donate three packs, three sleeping bags and a tent to a local Boy Scout troop.