water crossings on North Twin Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
If anyone has any useful info they'd like to share regarding the water crossings (and the herdpath which bypasses the first two on the way up), please pm me or post here. I've read about the crossings from the usual sources (White Mountain guide, Smith and Dickerman's book, etc.). However, if anyone wants to chime in with anything else, please do so. I'll be heading up that way with Alex in the near future.

Thank you!!

The herd path bypass of the first two water crossings is pretty obvious - basically bear left and stay along the shore whilst the main trail crosses (then recrosses awhile later).

The third crossing can be tricky (not as bad as the first two), but I suspect it won't be as bad as your Rocky Branch crossings last weekend.

Amicus and loanshark have both made it through there in the last week or so, and I believe both used the herd path and made it across the third crossing okay.

Upon arriving at the first crossing, you really would have to try and miss the herdpath. I remember it being pretty easy to follow for its length. The last crossing was tricky when I went, if you can go after a dry spell (if we ever get one! :)) do that.

From last August:

Numero uno (from the east side) - bear left to get on the herd path. The herd path will never climb more than about 20 vertical feet above the water. You'll be on the herd path for about 15 minutes before you rejoin the trail.
nttwc01.jpg

Numero dos - (taken from the west side, that you won't be on if you take the herd path)
nttwc02.jpg

Numerous tres (the one you will cross)
nttwc03.jpg

Amicus . . . made it through there in the last week or so, and I believe . . . used the herd path and made it across the third crossing okay.

Correct on both counts, and I agree that the herd path is hard to miss and easy to follow. (There is even a cairn where it rejoins the Trail, a little before the third crossing.)

The River was running high, so the third crossing was not the non-event it had been for me on two prior hikes. We found that the best way over, rather than straight across, was about 15-20 feet upstream (i.e. to the left). That wasn't very difficult, with poles.

Thanks, everyone. Just trying to avoid becoming absolutely soaked -- had enough of that with Isolation last weekend. It will be the start of a multi-day journey, and I don't want my boots getting completely saturated on Day One. We'll probably go through that third crossing in our crocs, just to be sure our boots stay dry.

Much obliged, everyone!

The third crossing can be tricky (not as bad as the first two), but I suspect it won't be as bad as your Rocky Branch crossings last weekend.
QUOTE]

Trish, if the third crossing is still higher than your liking, you have the option of continuing upstream, a little bit, to where there is an "island". The crossing at this spot is even easier.

Here's a link to a picture of the first crossing on the North Twin Trail. It's easy to see why most people bypass this crossing in times of high water. :eek: This picture was not taken recently.

On another note, the brush in the upper reaches of the trail is pretty thick. You'll want to wear a shell to avoid the car wash effect. :( Otherwise, you will get very wet.

Happy Trails,
Glenn

On another note, the brush in the upper reaches of the trail is pretty thick. You'll want to wear a shell to avoid the car wash effect. :( Otherwise, you will get very wet.

Last Sat., parts of the No. Twin Spur (to So. Twin) were the most like that - little firs on either side, nearly touching in some spots.

As you may be able to tell from this photo I took, the first crossing wasn't nearly as intimidating on Sat. as in your linked pic - we might even have made it across with dry feet, but saw no reason to try our luck.

575704459_SGA5W-L-1.jpg

Trish,

I did North Twin on Tuesday and didn't have any problems. Trail description just like Jeremy said. Up stream about 60 ft. at third crossing you can cross on some larger boulders with places where the water may come up a few inches on the boots. Walk over to the island and back down to the far side crossing. NO Problems.

Wolfgang

Trish send me a PM when you are heading up and I will hike with you and Alex to at least North Twin. The three of us have this high water crossing thing down to a science, except for the lost pole thingy.;)

I agree with the other comments. Here is an excerpt from our trail conditions report on 6/22:

The trail up to the river crossings is in very good condition. We took the alternate spur trail to avoid the first two crossings. It's obvious we were not the only ones to do this. The trail is so well defined that with the exception of a few minor blowdowns it was in as good condition as the official trail. There is no way you can call this trail a bushwhack.

At the third crossing we followed a herd trail up above the crossing. We found a fairly easy passage out to the bar in the middle of the river. We walked back down the bar almost to the area of the official crossing and rock hopped to the shore. It worked so well that we retraced our path on the return.