Anyone have a Catskill 100 highest list?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
The ADK Catskill Guide list only goes up to 98, I wonder why? Just wondering what those last 2 elusive peaks are and if I'll ever set foot on them. Does anyone here have a link to them? Thanks, Fred ;)

Freddy, the list you have must be the 98 Catskill peaks 3000 feet(+). It's interesting that you mention those "elusive two" (just under 3000 feet). I'll leave it to you to find out what they are and report back. It would be good to compare that "ADK Catskill Guide" list with the peaks on the Northeast 3000 footers; Catskill group listings. Many of them are on private land, and information is available if you need it.

I asked this question on the board a long time ago with no replys. I think that Roy is correct, Red Hill 2990' and Middle Mountain 2975' in Andes. I haven't found any others that fit in.
The Catskill book is correct, there are no conflicting "peaks". Good luck, most of the private land ones are hard to find access to, especially in Delaware County, where the briar thickets are unbelievable.

Thanks, Roy, I think you're correct. I haven't found any other peaks that fit the bill. By the way, have you done the Catskill 100 highest? I had a crazy idea of possibly trying to do this list AND redline all of the Catskill Trails.

Ned, I would probably try to do some of the mountains with thick scrub after a heavy snow fall. At least then in theory you could avoid some of the worst parts.

Anyone care to join me on a few hikes?

Last edited:
Doing these thick briar peaks after a heavy (and consolidated) snow might help, if the snow is six (6) or more feet as in the case of White Man Mtn just east of Roxbury, NY. This was undoubtably the worst of all the 3000 footer peaks where we encountered the thorny thickets: the White Man summit and upper ridge connecting over to the NE peak. I'd suggest outer layers that are thornproof. Normal clothing will end up looking like a shag rug. REF: White Man Mtn. By the way, they don't call that "Hack Flats" for nothing! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on White Man mountain, Dennis. I'll make sure and wait for a good accumulation of snow before I climb that one. Have you done the entire Catskill 100?

No, I only completed the 3000 footers, so I'm missing the last two mentioned here. I have an avid interest in all fire tower peaks, whether the mountain still has the tower or not. When I get back in the Catskills again, I'll plan to do Red Hill and whatever is the other official one to complete the Catskill 100.

Catskill Hundred Highest (102) list

Here is a web link to the Catskill 100 Highest (102) list on the Adirondack Hundred Highest website. At the bottom of the page is a download link for an Excel spreadsheet of the list. The spreadsheet has the same topozone map links that are on the web listing. The spreadsheet can also be used as a personal tally sheet of your hikes. Within a few months I plan to update the list with an indication of which summits are privately owned. The list was created with the standard 200' col rise criteria. Three 2980' contour summits are tied in the # 100 spot making the list 102 mountains.

86 down, 16 more to go! ;)

Nailed a bunch this weekend and spent 5 minutes last night organizing how to approach the final 16 to minimize the driving. I'd much rather hike than drive so I am grouping them by location and access routes...

...and now Mark is looking at the Cat200. Aaaaaaarrrgghhhh... :D On saturday, George, Jim, and I did White Man, Montgomery Hollow and Roundtop and walked by Bloomburg thinking, it's not on the 100 list, is it on the 200 list??? (Leave no straglers! :) )

Jay

Yes, I have been hiking with Mudhook who is a local (But not a local in that sense of the word. ;) I have beta on all the peaks except for Onteora, Rose, and Cowan, but we're working on those.

A lot of peaks that we're doing are DEP area as they have within the last few years started buying up land left and right for watershed issues.. but many of them are permit accessible which is really great for these HH peaks, they go as far as making parking lots for us in many places. They probably weren't buying the land as much when you were hiking them, I presume.

Jay

Jay H said:
Yes, I have been hiking with Mudhook who is a local (But not a local in that sense of the word. ;) I have beta on all the peaks except for Onteora, Rose, and Cowan, but we're working on those.
Would you care to post (or e-mail) this info for N Plattekill & Pisgah, the 2 nearby ski areas?