Sawteeth via Weld Trail, 7-5-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Ridgerunner

Reaction score
Sawteeth was on our radar all week, and when we saw the forecast looking good for Sunday, we made that our plan. The weather did not disappoint! It was a gorgeous sunny day with highs in the upper 60's and low humidity. (Our only sunny day of the seven days spent up north.)

We slept in and didn't get on the trail until 7am. :cool: As we walked along the golf course we could see our destination off in the distance.

Unlike Thursday when we were all alone hiking Lower Wolf, there were already several cars in the lot and some hikers ahead of and behind us as we started up the Lake Road. I was having some issues with my pack adjustments, wardrobe, and hydration unit -- which were certainly testing Fran's good humor. :rolleyes: But I managed to get my s..... (act) together and we nevertheless made good time to the dam.

Although the Weld trail was certainly wetter than when we hiked Gothics last September, it was still a pleasure hiking this trail. Rainbow Falls was beautiful, with a fair amount of water pouring over the edge. We played leapfrog with a couple nice local gentlemen who were also hiking Sawteeth.

Seemed like it took no time at all to reach the col. We were immediately swarmed by flies, so we just kept moving. The climb to the summit was fun and quite windy for about the first half of the ascent. It didn't take long for views of Pyramid and Basin to start to appear, then nearer the summit we could see Giant of the Valley off to the north.

Upon reaching the summit, we were overwhelmed with the views; Haystack, Marcy, Basin, Saddleback, Pyramid, Gothics, Armstrong, Allen, etc. We were first to summit, but quickly were joined by the two gents, then two others (Keith and Rick, both recent 46ers), and one of the Adirondack Ladies (Laurie) and her husband (Jim?). Hope I got that right! We really enjoyed talking with all these folks, taking pics of each other, and just enjoying great camaraderie.

With just four of us remaining on the summit, the resident brown mouse got up the nerve to show his face. He really enjoyed the little sesame crackers we offered up as a toll. After a full hour on the summit we reluctantly headed back down.

Decided to walk back to the base of Rainbow Falls, then take the East River Trail part of the way back to the parking lot. Really enjoyed the hike along the river, getting some nice views back towards Sawteeth. We crossed over the river at Beaver Meadow Falls which we could hear for some distance up the trail. Another gorgeous spot! From there it was a leisurely stroll back to the gait and out to the car. I should note that just seconds after we came out onto the road from the Gothics trail we heard a tremendous cracking and crashing noise back up the trail which we had just left. The tired feet won out, and we did not go back to investigate.

What a terrific day in the woods!! ::D

Slideshow: http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/573402228QLeKZz?mediaPosition=1