Farewell New England Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I took one last hike before the big pack begins. I'm outta here on Tuesday, and I figured I could squeeze in one more decent hike. Smarts Mountain in Lyme, NH fit the bill. It was long and strenuous enough to be a great workout, but just short and easy enough not to kill my leg muscles.

Weather for the day: Sunny and gorgeous. Highs in the 70s, even at the summit it was about 70 (about 3300 feet). Finally, a nice day!!

Dartmouth Skiway

Lambert Ridge Trail

View to the summit, much further ahead

After a long climb, the summit!

view south, the AT goes over most of those mountains in the pic

north to Moosilauke

North on the AT to Cube

A very comfortable privy, complete with no door....and no TP. So I put in some striped maple leaves for the next user. :rolleyes:

We hiked down a different trail that led into a fairly deep ravine, and I could feel breaths of very cool air as we got down to the bottom, and made it to the stream. It was a pleasant area. Cool temps kept the bugs at bay, despite all the standing water and mud.

On the way out, there was a beautiful tree shot.

A great way to end the day, and end my New England hiking experiences. At least for now. Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed being out there.

grouseking

Very nice report and photos.

So Phil, stay well, do good work, and keep in touch with your friends at VFTT.:)

Glad you had a nice day for your hike. Hope to see you back up here when you're on vacation sometime. Best of luck in moving to your new hometown!

Thank you Phil for an enlightened TR on what could otherwise be a potentially depressing thought, that being of course, leaving New England, NH in particular.

Hope you have a safe move, and welcome to the ranks of the Displaced New Englanders, New Hampshire Chapter.

Good luck, Grouseking... I will miss your snow reports.

Heh, I have connections. I will still attempt to give a few reports, or at least, some fake forecasts. :)

Again, thanks to everyone else for the kind words. I am officially in VA now. Time to unpack...and get used to living here. At least its cool out.

grouseking

Excellent farewell hike, trip report, and photos, Grouseking! Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman chose that route (with a few additional miles tossed in) for our annual White Mountain charity CROP Walk two years ago during fall foliage. Now, I need to complete other sections of the AT between Rt. 25 and Hanover. Best wishes in your new locale; say hello to Bob Proudman if you get out to AT headquarters in Harpers Ferry.