Owl's Head Camping Spot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
I am looking for advise on a nice camping spot on the way to Owl's Head from Lincoln Woods, preferably along the Franconia Brook or Lincoln Brook Trails. This would give us a night in the tents which the boys always look forward to. Your recommendatons are appreciated.

Camp

No one has answered so I'll give my 2 cents. You will have no problem finding a suitable spot out there. Though I can't be more specific, suffice it to say there are several good spots along the way. When I backpacked it a few years ago we camped very close to the base of the slide and climbed to the summit in the morning.

The main rule you should be concerned about would be 200' off trail. Should be easy. Please remember to leave no trace.

KDT

No one has answered so I'll give my 2 cents. You will have no problem finding a suitable spot out there. Though I can't be more specific, suffice it to say there are several good spots along the way. When I backpacked it a few years ago we camped very close to the base of the slide and climbed to the summit in the morning.

The main rule you should be concerned about would be 200' off trail. Should be easy. Please remember to leave no trace.

KDT

As Kevin highlights, the 200 foot rule kinda rules out camping near the base of the slide. An "island", of sorts, is formed between the trail and the brook at the base of the slide, but the "island" lacks the space for the 200 foot rule. We scouted out good spots as we travelled up the Lincoln Brook Trail, where the embankment on your left (west) is steep, but once you climb it there are some rolling, if not flatter, areas to camp. It allows you to get 200 ft. off and still be reasonably close to a water source. Hope this helps. Where we were was about 40min from the base of the slide.

Since technically there is no trail to Owl's Head you could camp on the slide as long as you're 200' up from the Lincoln Brook Trail.

However, I would not recommend this, either from a safety or a USFS-relations standpoint.