MINI- Report for Trek to the “BIG Moose” (Mt. Moosilauke: 12-Jul-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
This is merely a brief report to confirm what many already know. It was a great day to be out on the trails in the Whites yesterday!:)

Zman and I got our usual “crack of noon” start and didn’t know for certain where we’d end up. Since things were a bit overcast north of the notch in Bethlehem, we started driving south with the thoughts of maybe doing something in the Ossipees. However, along the way we noticed that Mt. Moosilauke was in the clear. So, yet another of our last minute plans was formulated, and it was off to the “Big Moose”.

Since there are already loads of excellent Trip Reports and photos out there about treks to Moosilauke, I won’t bore you with a lot of details and tons of photos. However, I will restate that it was a great day to be out, and to just relax on a mountaintop.
VFTT2.jpg

And, as we approached the summit, we could see that there were lots of other folks who were also enjoying the day on “the Moose” under a brilliant blue-sky day with lots of white puffy clouds.
VFTT1.jpg

After hanging out on the summit for quite awhile, the white puffy clouds began to darken. However, it remained dry all day. Yeah!:)
VFTT.jpg

One of the folks we had the distinct pleasure of meeting on our trek was none other than Forestgnome! Hopefully, he will post some of his photos taken during his day on “the Moose” because I’m certain they are superb and unique!

P.S. Just as a side note, we ascended via the Gorge Brook Trail. For our descent we opted to pay a visit to South Peak and then take the Moosilauke Carriage Road down to the Hurricane Trail and use that trail for our return to the trailhead at Ravine Lodge Road. It was the first time I’d done this particular route. And even though it adds an extra mile, I really prefer it over the more traditional route of returning to the trailhead by taking the Snapper Trail off the Carriage Road.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Nice "mini-report". Your reports are always enjoyable and interesting and right up at the top with the best of them. Guess, the n.e. hikers can reduce their intake of Vitamin D supplements; since the sun is once again shining on the mountains.:D
Little D:)

Nice "mini-report". Your reports are always enjoyable and interesting and right up at the top with the best of them.
Thank you! I’ve had a lot of very good examples to follow from the excellent reports posted by many others on this Forum.

And by the way, your Trip Report (Five Summits in Acadia - Parts I & II) that you posted a few weeks ago wasn’t too shabby either!

1HappyHiker, I read your Trail Conditions posting for this hike, and I am curious why you liked Carriage Road --> Hurricane better than Carriage --> Snapper. I've never been on the Hurricane Trail, and I'm far too pregnant at the moment to try it out this year, but will keep it in mind for the future.

1HappyHiker, I read your Trail Conditions posting for this hike, and I am curious why you liked Carriage Road --> Hurricane better than Carriage --> Snapper.
I’m sure it’s just one of those personal preference things (e.g. some folks prefer vanilla ice cream, and some prefer chocolate!:))! However, the reasons I preferred the Hurricane option versus the Snapper option are as follows.

_ The Hurricane Trail option eliminates that segment of the Gorge Brook Trail between the footbridge that crosses the Baker River and the junction of the Snapper Trail. For whatever reason, I have an intense dislike for that segment of the Gorge Brook Trail.

_ Another reason that I liked the Hurricane option was again a personal preference. En route to the Hurricane Trail, you travel the lower section of the Carriage Road which has excellent footing, and goes through a beautiful mature hardwood forest (one of my favorite things!).

Just because I prefer vanilla ice cream, it doesn't mean I don't occasionally like to have a scoop of chocolate. :) I always do the same route on Moosilauke, because I think it's so pretty. It's kind of like always ordering the same dish at a favorite restaurant--you like it too much to try anything else.

Ok, now I am going to go find a snack! Thanks, and I will try out the Hurricane Trail sometime.

Hey Happy Hiker really like the photo of the hiking boots. Fun trip report. It was a great day to be out in the Whites! I was on the Franconia Ridge and had great views with blowing fog and sleet thrown in for good measure!

\
This is merely a brief report to confirm what many already know. It was a great day to be out on the trails in the Whites yesterday!:)