Anyone use that "5 hour energy"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to keep a bottle in my pack for the "just in case" senario. I do not know the effect all that caffine at once would have on your hiking. Anybody try it and how did it affect you? I have a problem with cramps and I herd that caffine dehydrates you so I dont want my legs to lockup on couchie.:eek:

This leads me to another question. How many people use pills for supplements? You would think pills would be lighter than all that food. Potasium pills would be lighter than banana's. Because I have a cramping problem I take salt pills, potasium pills, magnesium pills and calcium pills. I'm a pill popper:rolleyes:.

Obviously I carry "real" food. The pills are just a little extra.

No offense intended but just in case of what???

I'm no doctor and these are only my own opinions but...

I see these supplements as the equivalent to an octane booster in your car. If you have fuel in the car it might go faster but if you need to add it to the fuel. It'll run too hot and burn the engine out if you run on it alone.

Same for your body. It burns the food you eat as fuel. The supplement <theoretically> makes it burn hotter. If you have no food/fuel to burn you can add all the octane booster you want. All you'll get is wired.

I've been seeing a lot of empty "5 Hour Energy" bottles in firepits recently... I think people are carrying them in with them so that they can hike out the next day without feeling the full force of a hangover.

I agree with roadtripper, carry gatorade and granola bars instead. And with the gatorade, add it to a full nalgene to dilute it when you use it, don't use the full concentration. Regular gatorade has way too much sugars and salts to be beneficial to you when you're hurting, but diluted it works well.

I do not know the effect all that caffine at once would have on your hiking.

Imagine the effect of having all that caffeine at once when you are not hiking, then imagine also walking over rough ground.

"Energy drinks" were invented so that people would think they could drink more vodka. Real energy still only comes as protein, fats, and carbohydrates.

They're good for a quick pick-me-up when driving and that's about it. Don't bother trying to keep a few in the glove box, they always leak over the course of a few weeks of storage in a car.

I drink coffee all day long at work. I need caffeine on the trail and usually add a caffein "NoDoze" to a liter of water.

Last edited:
Most performance studies seem to indicate that some caffeine (about 1 cup of coffee, so 100mg) improves sports performance due to increased neuron firing, but too much deteriorates sports performance due to diuresis and vasostriction.

I'm sure the effect and the optimum dosage varies widely among individuals.

If you choose to carry caffeine, "No-doze" type tablets, or the better tasting chocolate covered espresso beans, are lighter and less packaging intensive than the 5 hour drinks.

5 hour energy tastes absolutely gross and doesn't happen to do all that much for me. Go for the Red Bull. Or chocolate covered espresso beans. I brought those on a Presi Traverse and they made me super crazy. :cool:

I have just recently picked up NUUN tablets for electrolyte replacement. A few coworkers are into long distance biking and recomended these for cramp prevention. The tablets look (and work) like a big alka seltzer, just drop one in a water bottle and let it fiz until it dissolves. They arent full of sugar, but they do have a good taste. I used to carry gatoraide powder on backpacking trips, but will probably switch to these. EMS stocks them.

Sweet strong coffee, dark chocolate, and Coca-Cola work for me for an aftenoon pick me up. I usually have one of my, two or three, water bottles filled with gatoraid as well and sip it when I feeling drawn out.

I sincerely wonder how "We" ever survived and evolved without the modern conveniences, additives and supplements. Something as simple, abundant and now villified as salt is essential, but where did nomads in central africa find the proper quantities to survive ?

Sorry for the hijack.

My approach is generally to stay away from stimulants, depressants, additives and supplements as much as possible. My concern is their use may mask whatever I'm not doing right myself. Not that I'm some dirt eating tree hugger. I just prefer to try to get what I need through regular and simple diet and exercise and make corrections as required.

I think its kind of funny that these "energy" drinks are marketed towards teens. my nephew loves these things, will drink them all day long. funny thing is he doesnt leave his bedroom. he plays video games and pc games all day/night long.
i guess they energize and stimulate his mind? dunno

i could care less who drinks them, they just are not for me. ill stick to water and occasional gatorade during a hike. a few beers and ice cream after a hike seems to work well for me.

Last edited:
What I meant by "just in case" was if I was out to couchie and My legs were tanked and I had no energy left. A couple years ago I was doing Mckensie and moose as a warmup for the high peaks. I got halfway up mckensie and knew I did not have it that day. I got to the first summit on mckensie and turned around. I could see the summit and knew I was pushng it trying to make it. I had enough trouble going downhill. If that happened way out in nowhereland I would want to take something to help me get out. I carry a couple packets of sugar with me. Something I learned while riding tour bikes. That sugar does not get digested. It goes right through the stomach walls staright to the blood. From there it goes right to where it is needed. Thanks for the advice, I will stay away from those energy bosters and stick with power gel packs.

If you choose to carry caffeine, "No-doze" type tablets, or the better tasting chocolate covered espresso beans, are lighter and less packaging intensive than the 5 hour drinks.

Two thumbs WAY up!!! ;)

Chip said:
Not that I'm some dirt eating tree hugger.

Oh, really?

Then how do you essplain that peat-moss-and-birch-bark sandwich I saw you snacking on when we were climbing in Woodbury? :eek:

I have just recently picked up NUUN tablets for electrolyte replacement.

I switched to these two years ago. Great stuff. Control your sugar intake by using chocolate (my favorite). I use half strength at first then as I start gaining elevation I'll be sure to make it 75% or full strength depending on how I feel. I really like being able to control my sugar intake and quit crashing once I started using Nuun tablets.

I love NUUN too - it has no sugar just electrolytes and all the flavors taste nice. Kola Nut is especially good - tastes like the flat Coke you get at race aid stations.
I use Nunn for training runs and hikes on hot days. For trail races I start with it in my bottle but do not carry it with me. Once that bottle runs out I refill with water and whatever-ade the aid stations have. I figure that during races I need all the sugar I can get :)

5 hour energy tastes absolutely gross and doesn't happen to do all that much for me. Go for the Red Bull. Or chocolate covered espresso beans. I brought those on a Presi Traverse and they made me super crazy. :cool:

So you're blaming the beans for that? :p