Baxter State Park SAR, in brief

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
As the saying goes, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know,” played a key step in joining some of my friends from Maine, through my research for my book, “An American Original,” in a very interesting adventure at Baxter State Park. The plan was to come up to BSP on Friday, hike to Baxter Peak on Saturday and go home the next day.
However, a ranger visited our tentsite at Roaring Brook to ask for help in a SAR in the park. To call Saturday’s weather rainy was an understatement! It was dour and the whole day from dawn to dusk was as though we were swimming in a bathtub full o’ water. The ranger informed our group that two ladies with the Penobscot Job Corp were to assault Katahdin from three ways. Two ladies were separated from the PJC due to fog. One, sustained a broken patella, the other went for help possibly and became missing. For those who have visited BSP before will agree that it is really a wooded play pen, because after 8 p.m. the rangers are like the nannies going to fetch the children lost in the pen. Consequently the rangers went out to find them. One of the ladies was described as 250 lbs. donning a tank top and shorts, nothing else. She spent the night under a bush. The other went out for help, as I recall, and was lost. Upon our commissioning as volunteers was to find them on Hamlin Ridge. We went out to find either of them.
The hike had its ups and downs, if you were prepared, it was not dreadful. However it was not one of my better days out. My raincoat was sopping wet as the hood was down, so I felt foolhardy to do such a thing. Furthermore in my perceived errs, I wished that I brought along a primaloft coat to beat the hailing ridge and the wind. But I did not want to sign my death warrant and turned back with two other members of the party to Chimney Pond. The other four in our group resolved to continue in their efforts.
At the pond the trio of us dried off. I knew that if I remained at the pond, that I would be in some peril due to socked in fog, rain, and low temperatures. But my definition of peril at that point was to place myself in jeopardy, and violate what I call ‘hiker law,’ in other words endanger others safety over my errata. Thus I returned to my camp and the other two with me remained at Chimney Pond. I wished that I was in a better position to remain and help, as a Scout is helpful.
So the other members of my party remained out in the sylvan play pen and helped in the litter carry. The process was quiet arduous over the rocks and weight of the victim caused slow goings. But both ladies miraculously were safe in spite of their folly. We can certainly debate on the repercussions of fines and fees, but what ought to be considered in the end is that the lesson learned that if you get hurt as they, it will be at the expense of others.
Despite not attaining the summit of Hamlin I learned of the isolation of BSP. I have heard of the unprepared entering its gates and climbing in lucky safety. As with anything in life and hiking such isolation can be a blessing and a curse. My first views of the park are that the area is step above the Whites in regards to its isolation from the comforts of the highways and the visitors on the trails. There is so much that I learned this past Saturday, I hope to be able to share in future conversations. I hope to go back soon.

In the "old" (1970) days, especially if you were in a youth group, the ranger would meet you at the trailhead and check out your gear before you could climb. If you didnt have the right gear (which was pretty minimal) you didnt go up the mountain. I still think they have the right, but I dont think it is enforced.

Hey Clarke,
that is quite a story. You definitely did the right thing to turn around, too. No sense in making the SAR become infinitely more difficult.

Hope your next trip to BSP is warm, dry and with unlimited views.

Regards,
Marty

Thanks for posting this information. My dad told me about this rescue in the news the other night. Reminded us of when we helped carry a poor soul the last few miles down to Roaring Brook to an awaiting ambulance a few years back. Definitely a tough mountain. Hope your next trip gets you to the top, it is a beautiful place to behold up on the rooftop of Maine.

Ronnie and I hiked up from Roaring Brook Sunday, the 19th, which I got some photos of the rescue chopper flying into Chimney Pond while we were hiking up the Helon Taylor Trail. the gate attendent and the ranger at the trailhead both warned us of the incoming Chopper. Seeing the amt of hikers leaving on sunday, (saturday was pretty wet, in which we arrived at BSP and climbed North Brother from the Marston trail), I can't imagine the poor ranger having to enforce the gear law, it would be a monstrous backlog considering all the folks I saw, most heading towards Chimney Pond. However, he does what he can, engage in conversation with the party and in doing so, can at least impart wisdom to the masses and at least attempt to gauge ability and knowledge without being to impossing. Kind of the same with the rangers at Camp Muir on Rainier. Nobody wants to babysit, but on the other hand, nobody wants to put the SAR folks in unneeded jeapardy so there is a balance between enforcement and reason.

I think this rainy and wet summer is probably reaking havoc with people and SAR, just shows you how much we appreciate the work of the SAR folks. Thanks!

Jay

I started a thread looking for info on this earlier....oh well.

It looks like you made all the right decisions in order to not increase the number of "patients".