Washington, Monroe and Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
7:20am start from Pinkham Notch with a car spotted at Rocky Branch trailhead. It looked to be a beautiful day with sunny skies and calm winds so this plan seemed a good choice and it turned out to be so. The ascent via Tuckermans was as magical as always and the views were wonderful. We spent almost an hour at the summit although some intermitent fog was hanging around but we got to see all of the sights and tourist crowd via road and rail. BTW, the summit chili was a tasty early lunch. A quick descent to LOC Hut passing a few folks who were not prepared (what's new?) for hiking to Wash summit. The skies totally cleared when we got to Monroe summit and the views were stunning and I appreciated them more than the first time now that I can visually identify most of the peaks. What a nice place to lounge and no one was there with us.
After a brief respite at the Hut, we left there at 1:15p and headed off for Isolation via Camel and Davis Path. Notice: The black flies are alive and well and living on the Davis Path at 4000 ft. The path was generally good to Isolation. Isolation is a surprise in terms of the great profile view of the Southern Presis. The black flies continued greeting us here. We left the summit at 4:15p and knew that now it was all a mental struggle to get back to the car on Rt 16. The Isolation Trail is essentially a drainage ditch and this wore on my mind and my feet. I am not certain who planned this trail but two of the crossings could be eliminated and certainly a contoured traverse back to RB Trail would be nice to save 300ft. The Rocky Branch trail was of varying conditions, some very wet other parts in good shape. Note to Moose Watchers: there is a section of trail around the 2900' elev. where there are numerous piles of moose droppings, this has got to be a hot spot. Moose also seem to have good manners because the poop on the side of the trail and not on it!?
We were out of the woods at 8:15p, the boys having finished a half hour earlier from our last meeting point at the Iso - RB Trail jct. To summarize this hike: 19 miles, 5500ft, it is certainly a nice way to bag Isolation going downhill but this was a long day nevertheless. I am glad we did it this way though. Four to go for 48.

Last edited: