Worcester Range 7/20/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Trails: Stowe Pinnacle, SkylineTrail

Conditions- Stowe Pinnacle is a well maintained and locally popular view hike. Few venture higher from here toward 3,642' Mt. Putnam, a wild,narrow,rock and bog studded path to a shark-fin boreal ridge. There are numerous peek-a-boo outlooks on the ridge .
Putnam is about 0.3 mi. south of trail jct. at Skyline trail.

1.6 mile ridge to Hogback (3,410') involves steep, wet descent into a bog off Putnam. Alternating dry trail and mud pit on rolling ridge to climb over false summits to "vista" and then summit of Hogback. Similar walking prevails for another 1.5 miles to Mt. Worcester, with the trail on rocky ledges heading for the summit (3,293'). Mt. Worcester is worth the trek- open rock and fir summit with lots of exploring opportunities and exposed views.
Heart leaf birch and other rare species are present, so please tread lightly.

Equipment: Trail is fern-choked where not mud soaked. Gaiters and trekking poles helped,Vermont rocks are the slickest in New England !!

11.8 miles out-and-back.

Comments: I couldn't see where the trail from the Worcester side came on to the summit.
I have wanted to get out here for years, having hiked the rest of the ridge to Mt. Hunger many times. The extension to Mounts Hogback & Worcester was constructed less than 15 years ago, and feels more like wilderness than some places that are "official" Wilderness.
Water of usable quality is undependable- I brought 2 liters and should've had 3.
No one was on the trail, but I saw bear & moose tracks & scat.

Drew Petersen, Duxbury VT