Vt only area state with no min. age for solo hunting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I enjoy hunting, target shooting, etc and in general, gun ownership (primarily to take advantage of my Rights and to satisfy a "Be Prepared" mentality.) There have been civil discussions here related to hikng and hunting, especially regarding the boy who shot the hiker in WA last year.

I link this article for those who are interested in VT law regarding young hunters.

from the article said:
Seven states — Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Vermont and Washington — set no minimum age for solo hunting.
In Texas, kids can hunt alone when they are 9.
In Alaska, Louisiana and Tennessee, the minimum age for unsupervised hunting is 10, in Missouri it’s 11, and in nine other states it’s 12.

I was a little surprised by this info. It may not be any kind of problem and probably requires little discussion, but I thought active VT hikers, especially those involved in local politics, might be interested.

I'm not sure what kind of discussion this will generate, but I'm willing to give it enough rope. Please keep this civil.

Generally, the sad thing is that change only happens on the local or state level only after something bad happens locally.

This exerpt from link in the OP is probably true in most cases
“If you did a poll in Washington or any state, 95 percent would support 16 over 14 (as a minimum solo hunting age). But the people who really care about this are the other 5 percent and that’s the way the gun issue works. They feel it’s affecting their lives, so the intensity of their feeling about this issue is much greater than for other people.”

Even though it's legal, I'm wondering how many Vermont parents of 8-14 year olds would allow their children to hunt without suppervision. I'm thinking/hoping that its not too many.

I'm wondering how many Vermont parents of 8-14 year olds would allow their children to hunt without suppervision. I'm thinking/hoping that its not too many.

I was one of those 8-14 year old kids hunting in Vermont without supervision. It was a strict and serious undertaking. There were some rules that were laid down about when and how to fire a rifle. If a rule was violated, like pointing a gun at somebody loaded or not, severe discipline and lost priviledges ensued.

I was hunting squirrel, woodchuks and deer often there was an adult on the trip but not always immeditely supervising us.

During this time period I had afriend shot while playing with guns in his bedroom, parents were in the next room.

I don't know if common sense and judgement could be legislated. More laws and governemnt is not a panacea.

I'll echo what Puck said. His experience and mine are similar on this subject.

I was with an adult, while hunting during those years, but the adult and I were sometimes several hundred yards apart from each other.

In Vermont the child must attend and pass a hunter safety course taught by a certified instructor before they can get a hunting license There is a written test and a field excercise where the child must demonstrate safe firearm handling. Many young children find the test difficult to pass and it may take them quite a few years of taking the class before they pass and are able to obtain their license.

Dave and I are keeping our eyes on the thread. Pls remember, VFTT is a hiking board and although the safety of hikers during the hunting season is important, lets not let this go the way of many other similar firearms or hunting threads.

In Vermont the child must attend and pass a hunter safety course taught by a certified instructor before they can get a hunting license There is a written test and a field excercise where the child must demonstrate safe firearm handling. Many young children find the test difficult to pass and it may take them quite a few years of taking the class before they pass and are able to obtain their license.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

Puck and Jason, I was thinking about the average 14 year olds that I see walking halfway in the road with their MP3 players on who don't even move when you beep, in the woods with guns.:eek: My error.

I'm sure that there are more responsible 10 year olds out there than some 40 year olds, and I'm glad to hear about the required education that is involved. I would still feel more comfortable supervision is involved under 14, but understand about arbitrary limits.

I will still wear my hunter orange bandana on my head when hiking, and hope that everyone is careful.

My experience is as Pucks and Jasons. Spent many years in the woods hunting squirrels at a young age. Started when I was about 10. It was always a serious business and never treated lightly.

I also passed my hunter safety in 1973 at age 16 when it became a requirement several years after I had been hunting and shooting.

Keith

Last edited: