Saddleback ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hiked up Green Weaver to Tri Color(?) and down Gray Ghost (which they had marked as a "trail" with wooden stakes capped with yellow paint, IIRC). I'd do the same again.

I don't remember the names of the trails, but there is an obvious trail that starts near the office. It is not the ski lift. Once at the summit, the AT is obvious if you wish to go over to The Horn.

We hiked Saddleback and Horn over 10 years ago and followed a trail that, at that time, was not clearly marked but generally paralelled the drainage that eventually becomes Rock Pond Stream in a southerly direction, eventually turning towards the east with a more conspicuous route to the AT.

Perhaps this was an old backcountry ski trail but it is shown on the older white paper editions of the AMC maps for Rangely-Stratton. The navigation was a lot more interesting than the ski trails, and probably gentler on the knees and our dispositions ... nevertheless, we haven't been there since.

The recommended route is marked by wooden posts with yellow paint. Generally follows a service road up from the lodge to the top of the first lift then leads you left and up to the top of the higher lift. From there, the trail leads from up behind the first aid station it's easy to follow up to the summit.

You can also just wing it. That's what I did, since I didn't notice the markers until I was on the way down. Turns out I basically went the "right" way both up and down!

Here's a sample marker

584450761_Ctvze-M.jpg

I think that it is a much more interesting hike if you follow the AT from Piazza rock. Either way the walk across to the Horn is well worth the extra few miles.

We will 2nd the AT route and the trip over to the Horn. It is a wonderfull hike with lots to see, including the "two holer" out house at the tent site.

You can find out trip report with photos on our Trip Reports Page.

we asked at the base and they had "Grey Ghost" marked as the preferred route to the summit on a hiking trail map they had available there. It was marked with wooden stakes with yellow tops...quite steep and rough in places..typical ski area water bars etc..
I have heard others say Green Weaver for ascent and Ghost for descent and may try that route next time.

Also enjoyed the AT route as a more traditional trail approach but it is longer

When we've hiked it in winter, and asked the ski area officials, they've always said Green Weaver. Perhaps it is different in summer when they have a different use of the area? I'd suggest asking which they prefer if there is someone there as a courtesy.

I think that it is a much more interesting hike if you follow the AT from Piazza rock. Either way the walk across to the Horn is well worth the extra few miles.

We hiked saddleback/Horn via the AT from Rt 4, and we stopped by the Piazza Rock caves on the way back, very nice route and would 3rd the recommendation of hiking them via the AT, it's a pretty trail, like most of the AT in Maine. In fact, we talked to some of the thruhikers who stayed there and they mentioned that the outhouse at Piazza Rocks was the best one on the trail. :D :p

Just be aware that the DOT is working on Rt 4 at the AT parking lot so it might be better to try to access the trailhead from Rangeley than from say Kingfield as the DOT has it down to one lane and the AT lot is much closer to the western end of construction than the eastern end.

Jay

Thanks

Jay, Thanks for the timely update. I'm headed up there this weekend, also going to do the AT route...Stu

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll be in CV week of Aug 16-22 baggin' dem peaks. No specific agenda yet, but be happy to meet you if you're there.