Camping on Bondcliff Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
Next week we're planning a 4 night backpack in the Pemi starting at Lincoln Woods (to follow up Mt Washington Saturday for Seek the Peak). Looks like the ideal spot for our first night due to drive time and hike start time will be somewhere near the south end of the Bondcliff trail. I know that we need to be at least 1/4 mile from the Wilderness Trail (and the standard 200' off the trail). Anyone have any idea if there are good tent site locations in this vicinity? Looks like it should be a relatively flat section - perhaps somewhere near the brook. This is probably our only night outside of the maintained tent sites (Guyot, Garfield, Liberty Spring) so we hopefully are good for the rest of the trip...

Thanks for any suggestions.

You can stay at the Franconia Brook East campsite, which is off of the East Side Trail. Then in the morning cross over to the Wilderness Trail or continue on the East Side Trail and cross at the suspension bridge. You will need to register at the Ranger station at Lincoln Woods.

Mark,

I have two suggestions. I've overnighted on the Bondcliff Trail. One spot is just after the Jct. with the Wilderness Trail. You would have to pass by the illegal sites and start the climb uphill to where the trail levels off. On the left side of the trail, walk back through the woods. There was a fairly open area about 3 years ago, where I was able to set up my tent. I don't know if it's grown in yet or not.

Another spot is on the old skidder road at the top and to the right of the steep rock step climb just as the trail levels out before the slide area, before the last water crossing (mostly dry).

You can certainly camp near the jct. of the Bondcliff and Wilderness Trails. There are plenty of flat areas. But, you would have to be within the guidelines of the NFS.

I just thought of another place. It's just after crossing back to the East side of the stream on the Bondcliff Trail. I've seen people using this area. I Believe that you can get far enough away from the stream to be legal.

Bob

Last edited:
You can stay at the Franconia Brook East campsite, which is off of the East Side Trail. Then in the morning cross over to the Wilderness Trail or continue on the East Side Trail and cross at the suspension bridge. You will need to register at the Ranger station at Lincoln Woods.

That had been our original plan but we'd like to shorten up the next day over the Bonds a bit and my wife would prefer to avoid what sounds like a usually crowded campsite (Franconia Brook). Still may wind up going that way though... Thanks.