Which peak should we finish on -- Flume or Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which peak would you choose for the NH48 finish?

• Flume

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Moosilauke

Votes: 67 82.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Edit -- looks like Moosilauke won.

We plan to finish on Saturday, August 29 (NOT 22nd, as originally planned).

Any who feel like joining us, please do so.

I've posted an announcement thread in the Trips and Events forum.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I think I know which one Metsky will vote for.

WAIT! Dave do you "need" Flume for your do the 48 as part of a VFTTers 48 finish list?:D

Thanks for your vote, Tim. We won't make the vote on anyone's behalf, no worries. We (I) just don't feel like making the final call, so we'll leave it to the whim of the hiking community. :D

I voted for Moose also and was quite impressed with benton Trail

fully sheltered..never steep..great footing

right until treeline..even on a less than perfect day the exposure is pretty minimal

go Alex....and Trish!!:)

Moosilauke, because it's my favorite mountain but also because you can have lots of people approach from lots of different trailheads and all assemble at the summit. If you have 20-30 people (and you'll get that many for this hike) it's nice not to hike in a mob.

Thanks, Silverfox and Dave.

Dave, I'm not assuming any will want or be able to join us for the final one, though we'd love it if people showed up. If a handful came along, Alex would be thrilled. I haven't given her anything to expect, however. She just thinks it will be the last hike for the list, and that maybe we'll go out for ice cream afterward.

We voted for the Moose. Flume is nice but the Moose is much nicer. What a great peak to finish on!

I also voted for the Moose, as it was my last NH4 all-season (many moons ago), and also because Steve Martin and I have been maintaining the Glen Cliff Trail for over a decade now, so I have a warm and fuzzy feeling for the mountain. I might note, however, that it was spending so much time on the Moose and Franconia Ridge that steered me towards the grid and redlining a few years ago. So, if it is August 22nd, I will combine your celebration on the summit with a maintenance foray on the GCT. :)

Moosilauke.:cool: Like Dave, and many others, I'm sure,this is my favorite mountain.:D

You guys could stay at the Ravine Lodge the night before as well. That might make it even more special. Or you could reserve Great Bear Cabin and stay there. Its near the base of the Glencliff Trail.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/cabins/descriptions/#greatbearcabin

I know you'll have fun no matter what, but I thought I'd throw those ideas out there....

Sorry, I'll buck the trend, while also being incredibly biased, and vote for Flume. If you want a bit of solitude when you finish, a place to think, go for Flume. Otherwise, take the Moose.

My wife and I agreed that Moosilauke would be our choice of the two. One reason is it is in Scudders so you can look out at all you have accomplished and identify (weather premitting) 34 peaks you have climbed. Additionally the many trails on Moosilauke give you options on the ascent. The nice large top on Moosilauke is a better hangout than the smallish top of Flume. If you do decide on Flume (33 peaks visible) the Osseo trail is nice however.

Another vote for ==>
laughing-moose.gif.jpg

Moosilauke, definitely. A superior summit with a variety of different approaches. I think Flume is best when done with nearby Liberty, which has a better hang-out summit.