How fast do you ascend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How fast do you ascend?

• 0-500' per hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >2000' per hour

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Given the 'average' mountain on the 'average' day, how fast do you ascend?

I read a while ago that the AMC recommends you be able to ascend 1,000 feet per hour to go on their trips.

For comparison, my wife and I are around 1,000 - 1,200 feet per hour.

I go between 1000 and 1300. Except for that first hour of hiking, when I'm still warming up and therefore going a bit slower (just under 1000, perhaps).

For reasonable slopes*, 1500 to 2000 feet per hour.

* defined as not too flat and not too steep. On flatter slopes, I am limited by my walking speed (miles/hour). When very steep I am limited by the vertical ascent (feet/hour). Weather and trail conditions are also significant factors.

I would be delighted to do 1,000 feet an hour.

I can on a treadmill....:eek:...no rocks or roots.

So now I have to say, "It's not how fast you go but how much fun you have that counts." I suck. :)

Last edited:
Generally in the 1000-1500 ft/hour and probably cover the entire range depending on the trail, weather, how much hiking I've been doing...
-vegematic

I read a while ago that the AMC recommends you be able to ascend 1,000 feet per hour to go on their trips.
Was that for a specific trip? There's no general recommendation for the entire range of AMC staff and volunteer led trips. There are trips for all different paces and fitness levels.

I get up about 1500' per hour, but I get down 4000' feet in 10 minutes by calling SAR. :cool:

I just took a wild guess. A couple weeks ago it took Abster and me about 3 hours to climb a thousand feet, but that was in the 8.5 miles to 13 Falls. :D

Distance counts.

I once measured my ascent rate on South Bright Angel trail (Grand Canyon) at ~1000 ft/hr for ~3000 ft of climb. The weather was hot, I was in the sun for the first part, it was at the end of a long day, and I was probably carrying 15-20lbs. The trail was graded as it was also used by mules.

On the other hand, I recently did 350 ft in 3.5 hrs for 100 ft/hr. The trail maintenance that I was doing along the way only had a "minor" effect... :)

Doug

Last edited:
When I fall, I A$$-end with the best of them :D

But seriously when I was with Rejean on a Presi traverse last spring we started out on the Valley way at 1400'/hr and went up the cone of washington at 1150'/hr.

Up Mt. Lafeyette at about that time Ishmael and I did 1300'/hr

With you and Laurie this past spring we did 1100' on Whiteface.

This past weekend Ishmael and I did about 900'/hr.

I guess I am getting slower.

Yeah, I agree with REK. I think there should be a poll choice for:

"I go as fast or as slow as needed to enjoy where I am, what I'm doing and who I'm with".

I suppose knowing everyone's rate of ascent could be useful if you were under time constraints and had to herd a group of people (ie AMC hike) up a certain elevation within a certain amount of time . I can't imagine wanting to go on a hike like that.

I can think of other reasons why you might like to know your rate of ascent...it's just that none of those reasons apply to how and what I hike.

That's the beauty of hiking though...we can all hike our own hike!

I selected 1000'-1500' per hour, which is my usual rate in my current state of fitness. "Back in the day" when I was in better hiking shape I could go well above that for a 1-2 hour stint, regularly climbing the 2miles and 1800 or so feet from the Monadnock State park HQ to the summit via the white dot in around 45-50 minutes. I think I'd be lucky to crack 1:10 if I were to try it today.