Genetic basis for peakbagging patches.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Genetic basis of peakbagging and peakbagging lists.

It has always mystified me as to why members of our species engage in such a useless activity as peakbagging. I embarked on some research and my readings have led to some interesting hypotheses.

But first it’s important to lay down some basic concepts.

Pretty much everything all living things do is geared to successfully leaving behind as many as ones genes as possible in the form of progeny. These individuals’ genetic traits will then accumulate in a hierarchical manner to include and characterize populations and entire species.

In the human species many of our behavioral traits may be traced to Darwinian selection pressure, which has preserved those traits that have led to more successful rates of procreation, and hence, to the accumulation within populations and species those behaviors’ genetic substrates: the genes.

In the lower animals as well as humans there also exists a parallel sexual selection pressure that has resulted in the preservation of non-adaptive characteristics such as massive tails in certain birds (peacocks, birds of paradise) and huge antlers in moose.

Simply put: the moose with biggest antlers gets the harem and leaves more of his genes behind. Furthermore, it is argued that the male moose is displaying his antlers as a way of signaling his overall genetic superiority to potential mates. If the moose can survive in spite of such impedimenta then female moose will reason that his genetic stock must be very good and so she will mate with him. (The antlers also serve as weapons to beat off rivals.)

Peakbagging in all of this?

Males have been known to risk their lives by entering into combat with dragons to win the hands of princesses. In our day, others will attempt to signal their genetic worthiness to potential mates by hypertrophying their pectoral and bicipital musculature and by investing in powerful automobiles. In its own right, successful peakbagging demonstrates a variety of desirable traits that would contribute to vigorous off-spring. Beyond physical strength and endurance such traits as sticking to a difficult goal, organizational skills and willingness for self-sacrifice come to mind.

However, upon completion of a peakbagging list such as the Adirondack 46, humans don’t grow or develop any anatomical equivalent of antlers or a silver back to serve as signals. The best signaling device we have is the patch that the successful peakbagger sews onto his packsack and uses as a signal to potential mates that his genetic stock is of good value.

Now of course I’m not suggesting that anyone here consciously hikes lists of peaks in order to spread their genome as far and wide as possible. No more than does a moose will his antlers to grow. However, by understanding the processes that underlie our unconscious drives one may gain a broader understanding and tolerance for behaviors one doesn’t understand or agree with.

A potential weakness of the patch is it is easy for a non-peakbagger to fake it by wearing one under false pretences and attempt to woo a peakbagging mate.

Before the women in the crowd disagree with this male-oriented explanation allow me to offer that humans have evolved greatly and have succeeded in expanding the cultural action of many of our purely gene-derived behaviors.

There is also another factor at play with regards to peakbagging, paddling and any form of outdoor adventuring. It was likely advantageous for any population of humans to have a certain limited frequency of the genes for adventure within its gene pool. Too high a frequency would threaten the stability of the group but as long as a few individuals felt the urge to ramble discoveries of new and/or better sources of food and water would be assured. Too low a frequency would threaten the group’s existence as well due to a fear of the unknown. The genetically programmed impulses for adventure and exploration are most certainly found in higher frequency on these forums and amongst peakbaggers of both sexes than in the general population.

So, there you have it: the genetic basis for peakbagging and peakbagging patches.

I understand your argument, but I disagree with your conclusion.

I would argue that patches are NOT the equivalent of antlers, but rather compensation for the lack of antlers.

Take for example, your standard geek. You don't put on the nerd glasses, the pocket protector and the Magic the Gathering t-shirt in an attempt to attract the female population. (Everyone knows you wear a popped collar, spray-on tan and spiked hair) Rather, these nerd-isms are a way to distinguish yourself and your individually when you failed to grow large antlers, as it were.

I claim that peakbagging patches are nothing more than pocket protectors for the outdoor enthusiast. In other words, its a symbol that on the surface represents a large success, but that patch is really just covering up for a larger failure.

The sartorial accouterments of the geek/nerd aren't earned in the way a peakbagging patch is. They say something about the personality of the wearer but don't suggest anything about the survival value of his genetic endowment.

Ah.. but if this were true, EVERYONE who had completed a peakbagging list would wear a patch. This is not true, in fact very few accomplished peakbaggers wear patches associated with their accomplishments. And as you pointed out, its possible to wear a peakbagging patch without actually being a peakbagger. Therefore I claim that the patch, not unlike the pocket protector, is more a reflection of the patch-wear's personality than of their accomplishments.

FYI - this is coming from someone with not one but TWO Appalachian Trail stickers on my car.

Considering that humans have culturally outstripped many of their genetically underpinned behaviors perhaps it is more accurate to say that patch wearing behavior says something about both the wearer's genetic endowment and his personality.

Have you ever seen a moose wear a pocket protector? I didn't think so.

FYI - this is coming from someone with not one but TWO Appalachian Trail stickers on my car.
It has always been my firm belief that list size really does matter. Some women will tell you just the 48 is fine and dandy but if they've been randy with a 100 H member they know the truth.

Where do transgender peakbaggers fall into your theory?
They might have large racks as well...

Going one step further regarding patch wearing. Not wearing a patch, in a more convulated way, could enhance a peakbagging list finisher's mate appeal.

Were it well known within a given population that Chomp, for example, had finished the NE 115-W but eschewed a patch his stock could actually rise among those who admire modesty as well as peakbagging prowess.

And Cory, everyone knows of course that the ADK-46, although a lesser size than the 48 of the Whites, is a much more difficult endeavor requiring slighter better peakbagging genes.

Ah.. but if this were true, EVERYONE who had completed a peakbagging list would wear a patch. This is not true, in fact very few accomplished peakbaggers wear patches associated with their accomplishments. And as you pointed out, its possible to wear a peakbagging patch without actually being a peakbagger. Therefore I claim that the patch, not unlike the pocket protector, is more a reflection of the patch-wear's personality than of their accomplishments.

I totally agree -- I would not go so far as to call myself accomplished, yet I can say that I have no desire to even own a patch for any list I have completed or ever will complete.

This thread and my 'ascent' thread bring up important differences about people on this board.

Some folks are list/goal oriented. This has to be OK!

Some folks are 'just out walking'. This has to be OK!

Let people be themselves, w/o criticizing their motives, and this will be a GREAT board! :D

A Scarlet Tanager does not seek to find a mate among the raptors, for reasons of personal security and, shall we say euphemistically, "compatibility."

Likewise, a peakbagger does not usually hang out among the biker chicks. (Yes, there might be exceptions, but they probably don't spread their genomes very far or for very long . . . )

The patch is a signal not only of prowess but likemindedness, which in my experience is nine tenths of longterm compatibility.

Now, if you're not thinking monogamously but only in the short term, then affecting an undeserved patch might get you some limited action at Barnes Field, but you're probably way better off waiting in bars. ;)

Peakbagging patches are:

Great conversation starters

Chick magnets :D
Posted with the intention of humor and a beyond-absurd intent as my S.O. would point out if she saw this.

Some people finish a list an immediately sew on the patch. - look what I did. Some people continue to sew on patches as they finish lists. :D

Some choose not to sew on patches because they don't want to ruin their packs. :rolleyes:

Some people don't want to brag of their accomplishments and choose not to sew on their patches. Perhaps they prefer to let their hiking tell the tale. :cool:

Others fear not being able to list their pack with the weight of all the patches. :D

The sartorial accouterments of the geek/nerd aren't earned in the way a peakbagging patch is.

:(

Sadly it's obvious you are not, nor never were, a geek. Do you suppose a geek breaks his glasses intentionally to white-medical-tape them back together ? Or that there's a Geek Glasses display at Costco where they can be purchased that way ? Or that maybe, just maybe, he has survived countless degradations by the captain of the football team and still negotiates the High School hallways ? Do you think pocket protectors are delivered with the birthed geek ? Isn't it possible that, somehow and for some reason, they are acquired after sufficient pen leaking from over-used and abused pens has occured ? The Geek has earned, and now proudly displays, his accoutrements. These are Peacock Feathers of the future Bill Gates.

And Cory, everyone knows of course that the ADK-46, although a lesser size than the 48 of the Whites, is a much more difficult endeavor requiring slighter better peakbagging genes.

Ah yes but if the gene pool is to evolve it is crucial that the pool itself experience all environments in it's all of it's entireties otherwise the pool itself may exist in an erroneous state of mind.

I spent the day yesterday with a molecular biologist and a geneticist and brought up this subject.

These guys had some pretty interesting things to say.

Molecular Biologist (MB): so, you have this population of "peakbaggers" and within that population there is a sub-group that adorns their rucksacks with signaling devices once they have achieved a goal. Both the signalling device and the goal itself are known and understood by the main group. Correct?

Geneticist (G): based on what we know about genetic clocks and genetic divergence it could very well be that your sub-group is a mutant.

Me: uhhh, mutants?

(G) The term itself is non-perjorative and using the concept of genetic clocks it is possible that patch-wearers are more recent arrivals or versions, if you will, of H. sapiens.

Me: Oh! You mean more evolved?

(G) Not really, just another mutant.

MB: now if the females were shown to have evolved a propensity or preference to mate with patch-bearers I'd say you're on to something.

Me: but what about those males who have already mated and completed their lifetime reproductive output? I can cite specific examples where the achievement has led to marital tension and strife. The patch might serve as a doleful reminder of the peakbagger's "errant" behavior. Out bagging peaks when he should be at the progeny's Christmas pageant.

G (getting heated up): that's a whole different and fascinating issue. My studies on herons and gulls, who supposedly mate for life, have clearly demonstrated that no less than 35% of male herring gulls practice extra-marital sex, just about the same percetage as American husbands.

Me: yeah, and....

MG: what I think he's going to say that peakbagging in males who have fulfilled their reproductive mission are aping other species behavior in less damaging ways. By straying from the "nest" but assured of his paternity, your peakbagging male is merely obeying his instincts to increase his reproductive output to the maximum...

G: ...but, due to social pressures, threat of divorce and loss of net worth he has found a substitute that in spite of some marital tension on the home front allows him to act out his genetic destiny.

MB: I bet you'll find a big difference in the behaviors between peakbaggers who have not yet had kids and those who have and who are thus assured of their paternity.

G: Absolutely. My herring gull study clearly showed that the male did not engage in extra-marital sex behavior until his mate had laid eggs. Ie. so he would be assured of his paternity before straying from his mate and not run the risk of wasting time and energy rearing young that did not carry his genes.

Me: so , what does all of that have to do with adornment of rucksacks with peakbagging patches?

G and MB: Huh?

Last edited: