Swimming holes on the AT in the Mahoosucs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
Hi,

Planning to hike the AT through the Mahoosucs, from North to South, soon.

I know about Speck Pond.

Are any of the other ponds along the route good for swimming?

I plan to stop at Gentian Pond campsite and there are other ponds along the way too.

thanks,

Swimmin holes

I love to go visit new swimmin spots, especially ones that are free and open use. I use http://www.swimmingholes.org/ to find spots and they list a few along the Saco and Swift rivers although I have not specifically looked at any right on the AT. In theory I'm not sure why you couldn't use the rivers along the trail...Thirteen Fall is just a short hike off the AT and you can swim there for sure. The stream, near Gibbs Fall and at the bottom and along the Crawford Path (near the AT on the North West side of Mount Pierce) are decently pooled for a refreshing dip.

Hope that is somewhat helpful

Ridges

If you look at your maps, the AT stays pretty high along the Mahoosics. Swim holes are generally down low, except for the ponds cited.

At the north end of the notch you can access the stream that runs out of Mahoosuc Notch. If you are heading SOBO, just after you finish the descent from Mahoosuc Arm, and just before you enter the Notch, look for heardpaths to your left. This short section of trail has been relo'd but herdpaths should be clear and take you out to an open, bootleg campsite area. Now look for a herdpath down a steep but short hill to more bootleg sites. The small stream runs right through the lower area. No holes deep enough for swimming but you can certainly rinse off and get refreshed and top off your water bottles.

-vegematic