Camping in Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Reaction score
Two friends and I are planning on skiing (barring an awful snowfall) at Killington the weekend after Thanksgiving. Is there any place you can camp in that general area thats accessable by road and is free (I'm thinking something like the ADK's South Meadow) or a cheap campground that will be open that late in the season? Thanks! I know its early but we're going to college and we're tryin to plan this out now...

peace
Oysterhead

That lean-to below Killington, where exactly is it? Not finding it on Topo-Zone...how cool do you think the Killington people would be about letting us take full packs on the lifts?

peace
Oysterhead

Cooper Lodge is .2 miles off of the summit of Killington -- it's on the AT if that's listed on your map. There is a spur trail heading down from the summit to it though I don't remember seeing a sign. Cooper Lodge was pretty cold (breeze blowing right in where there used to be windows) when we were there last October, so make sure you dress warm. Also avoid the upper left-hand bunk... there was a leak over it when we were there.

- Ivy

I doubt this will happen by winter, but I remember reading that Cooper Lodge is going to be replaced sometime in the near future. They would more than likely build the new shelter before tearing down the old one anyway.

Across from the Inn at LT is a big parking lot and people have been known to camp off in the woods in that area. Though a bit noisey with all the Rt 4 traffic, it's a spot. Wheelerville Rd is definately quieter.

As cool as it sounds, logistically it would be way too hard to camp at the LT ontop of Killington. Whats this Wheelerville Road like? wheres a good palce to camp on it? How far is it from Killington? Thanks you guys!

peace
Oysterhead

Last edited: