NE 115 COMPLETED - One Week in Maine and 15 peaks ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
On Friday July 17th Jay H and I embarked on a vacation in the Maine mountains with the Objective to hike all of the Maine 4000 footers.

One night in Waltham, Mass (Thanks Jason!) to break up the driving and an early start on Saturday morning (7/18) put us in Baxter St. Park with enough time to begin our quest with a quick jaunt up North Brother. This was a somewhat telling moment as it was raining on and off and the day was dreary. As we set foot upon the trail, the rain disappeared but not the clouds. North Brother presented no views. This would be a fairly recurring theme for the remainder of the week with some notable exceptions. (North Brother: 3027 ft. TVA (Total Vertical Ascent), 8.4 miles). One down 13 to go.

The next morning (Sun. 7/19) was bright and sunny and the perfect time to hike Katahdin (Baxter and Hamilin peaks). Up the Helon Taylor Trail. Briefly accompanied by a chopper rescue of a 250 pound woman from Chimney Pond. Pamola presented outstanding views and with gust winds that were our companion for most of the hike over the Chimney and the Knife Edge. Outstanding views from Pamola up to Baxter Peak which was mostly enshrouded in clouds save for brief breaks betraying Kodak Moments. Continued on to Hamlin Peak and down the extremely picturesque Hamlin Ridge Trail to Blueberry Knoll. Out to the parking Area on the Chimney Pond Trail. (Baxter and Hamil Peaks: 5894 ft. TVA 11.6 miles) Three down 11 to go.

The next morning (Mon. 7/20) was as brilliant as the morning before and we took an easy day and hiked up South Turner mountain. The sub 4k peak with a steep climb to outstanding 360 degree views. We were able to see some moose in a pond from the summit and on the way down we saw one again at the edge of the pond. A moose was encountered on the trail to the Parking Area which stopped us in our tracks as it was about 30 feet in front of us. After a few "excuse me's" and trail jockeying we wisely avoided shaking hands with the "Ranger in the Moose suit" and headed back to the Parking area. (South Turner Mountain: 1600 ft. TVA, 4 miles). We headed out that afternoon down to the Rangely Area and holed up in a local motel for a badly needed freshening up and a good dinner.

Tuesday morning (7/21). The weather was hazy and cool and mostly sunny. Our destination, Saddleback and The Horn (out and back). A long summit approach and expansive views accompanied us all along this ridge walk on this sunny and hazy day. Nothing short of spectacular. It was around this time that we met a number of AT Thru-Hikers who we would bump into time and time again throughout the Rangely area as we hiked and lodged. (Saddleback and The Horn: 3964 ft. TVA, 14.1 miles). This was also our first night at the Maine Roadhouse. Five down 9 to go.

Wednesday morning (7/22). Under threatening skies, a drive up a threatening Caribou Pond Road, .5 miles shy of the AT crossingbefore the Steel Bridge where we will set up camp as we used this spot to base camp for the next 6 peaks over two days. we start out to the AT crossing and head left towards Mt Abr'am (as it is know by the locals). The trail is somewhat over grown and the trail is wet from overnight rain. Parts od the trail provide a nice Car Wash effect so even though it was not raining, we were getting fairly wet. First stop, the farthest peak on this out and back hike, Mt Abr'am. On the way back Spaulding and Sugarloaf. All three presented no views as the weather provided a thick low cloud cover to stare into but not through. (Mt. Abr'am, Spaulding, Sugarloaf: (The ASS hike) 5218 ft. TVA, 17.1 miles) Eight down 6 to go. We spent the evening at the basecamp on Caribou Valley Road getting eaten alive by our little insect friends.

Thursday Morning (7/23) Once again under threatening skies we hike to the AT crossing and this time turn right towards the Crockers. Up South Crocker and past to North Crocker. The trails here were amazingly soft with pine needles for long stretches and we made good time on this misty gray day. Returning from North Crocker and a long sustained climb back up South Crocker for the second time and out to the viewpoint to find the beginning of the herd path to Reddington. This was a very wet walk as there was no shortage of car washes on this hike. We were pretty wet, I was soaked to the bone and could only stay warm by moving, Jay was in a similar state. Regardless we were having the best time of it. At Reddington with no views. The car wash was particularly thick on the way back. The third ascent of South Crocker was completed and we were back a t base camp packed up and back to the Maine Roadhouse in good time.(South Crocker, North Crocker, Reddington: 3786 ft TVA, 8.74 miles) Eleven Down 3 to go.

Friday (7/24) - Just too Nasty. A visit to the Old Loggers Museum and some local sight seeing in Rangely.

Saturday (7/25) - What's This? Clear Skies? OK! Off we go to the Bigelows. From East Flagstaff Road, The Northern approach which took us up past the Old Mans Head. There were numerous passing clouds which obscured many of the views all the way to West Avery. On the return trip over Avery the views opened up nicely for the remainder of the day. A VERY beautiful area. Outstanding views. (Avery, West Avery: 3514 ft. TVA, 9.82 miles) Thirteen Down 1 to go. Jay completed Maine peaks today.

Sunday (7/26) - Overcast...50 mile drive to Old Speck. Especially hazy and drizzly - very gray day. From the parking area we start out. Drizzles stop. Up the Eyebrow and up the steep ascent to Old Speck. We have become accustomed to the grayness and resigned to no views. Our spirits remain unaffected. We hit the summit fire tower...NE 115 - OLD SPECK! (Old Speck: 3165 ft. TVA - 6.54 miles)

Grand Totals: 1 Week , 15 peaks, 30,168 ft. TVA, 80.3 miles

This is so much more than a total of peaks. So much more than numbers. I acknowledge and give praise to all of those in our community that have done this and so much more than I could ever accomplish. You are all a huge source of inspiration for me. And all of those who are setting similar goals that have yet to be attained. You are also a source of inspiration.

My thoughts while hiking are usually consumed with various aspects of life and it's problems and gifts. Most notably my family. My wife Gina and boys Arlo and Jaco. They benefit most from this as I feel these endeavors make me a better person. I don't always come down off a mountain a happy man, but I always come back more grounded in one aspect or another.

I don't mind sharing thoughts like this with our community, our family of friends here online. It makes our world a richer place. Learning from each others experience is what this is all about. Whether we see it immediately or not it always seems to show up somewhere as knowledge gained and understanding absorbed.

Hiking for me is a very spiritual endeavor and fuels my mind and my life with the goodness and promise of possibility even when moments may be particularly dark. Good always comes of it.

There are many things about this week that have gone unsaid i.e. The cherries at the Looney Moose, The staff at the Loony Moose. The constant bumping-into-the-same-AT-Hikers over the days in the Rangely Area, The Stripe Guy, The man in the Moose Suit, "Ranger Bob"...The Proprietor, The Carriage Road....etc...Jay...Pictures Please !!!

One more thing...Jay is a great Hiking companion as many of you know...who along with a good number of others is on top of my list for walking anywhere at anytime..

BTW - to be clear..Jay has yet to finish the NE115...a few more in NH I believe. BUT ..he did finish the Maine peaks.

And like I said atop of Old Speck...May the benefits I receive from the efforts put into the completion of the NE 115 be for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Om Mane Peme Hung!

Last edited:
Congrats, Zer0-G! It was good to meet you on the trail, if briefly.

Last edited:
Great job Ronnie & Jay!

Sounds like a lot of wet hiking, but you kept going!!

Glad you made it happen to finish and congrats!!!

Can't wait to hike with you two guys again!!! :D

(next time i won't break anything)!!!! :eek:

Wow, totally cool Zero-G and we managed to avoid Mookie too... Bing!

One deranged neighbor in Waltham, stir, and enjoy! :)

Since Zero-G failed to bring a camera, I was the designated photo-hog, so I have a bunch of pictures on my camera, to be uploaded when I have the time

Congrats Ronnie, it was fun to push you in the mud, and roam the Rangeley suburbs. :D

I will highly recommend the ice cream sundaes at the Looney Moose, now with cherries. :p

I think the weather worked out for the best, as we had great days for Katahdin and Saddleback/Horn, and a pretty good day on the Bigelows, could see almost the entire Flagstaff lake, the Kibby wind farm, as well as a helluvalot of ski runs on Sugarloaf.

The one disappointment could of been Abraham, where we were socked in and devoid of views. Sugarloaf looked like it might have some views but that huge cell tower was kind of scary.

Put a lot of miles on the Outback, but it held up well to the rigors of CVR.

Also, when looking at hiking the Bigelows, the Safford Brook trail from East Flagstaff Road come recommended by me, it's a nice easy ascent to the AT from there and you get to check out Old Man's Head, which has expansive views of Little Bigelow and the cliffs on the south side. There is access to East Flagstaff through the Penobscot Indian Reservation there via Carriage Road (look for yellow sign as well as brown sign that says "Maine Huts and Trails" and also the Carabassett town office off of Rt 16/27.). It's an alternate way to do it rather than the steeper Fire warden's trail, however is a much longer drive on a dirt and somewhat bumpy road. (Watch for Truck :D). There is also some nice camping at the Round Barn which offers swimming in Flagstaff Lake as well..

jay

I only hope that the rest of the trip was as exciting as Friday night...I think.

Nice job guys. Sorry I didn't make it to Old Speck for the big finish, Ronnie.

Jason

No Problem buddy....did that guy call the cops yet?
He looked like he would probably have to borrow your phone to do so ...:mad:

Congratulations Ronnie! Sounds like you and Jay had a great trip. Look forward to seeing you both again soon! Jay - when you coming to NH to finish your list?

Congratulations Ronnie! Looking forward to the pictures.

And yeah, Jay is a great hiking partner ....... when I can keep up with him!