"Mt. Washington meets the Pegu Club", or "Why Coming and Going Don't Mix"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amantio

Reaction score
"Mt. Washington meets the Pegu Club", or "Why Coming and Going Don't Mix"

A month or so ago I receive a PM from Kevin of Kevin, Judy and Emma fame asking for help with the annual Seek the Peak fundraiser for the Mount Washington Observatory. Feeling flush, I throw in a few ducats, and let Kevin know that I might try to make it up to the mountain for the event. Messages are exchanged, and the next thing I know, I’m heading up to Moose Brook State Park in Gorham to spend Friday night in a tent preparatory to my first climb of Mount Washington in the morning.
Since Seek the Peak will bring hundreds of extra hikers to the mountain on what will already be a busy summer Saturday, KJ&E plan to ascend via Boott Spur, and either swing over on the Davis Path to Crawford, or take the Bigelow Lawn Cutoff to the Tuckerman Ravine Trail for the final push up the summit cone.
Pinkham is already a zoo by 7:30, and we are forced into the third overflow lot down the road. We are met at the visitors’ center by BobC, and spend a few moments mixing and mingling with the crowd, which is liberally sprinkled with VFTTers.
We hit the trail by 8, and within 30 minutes, I’m huffing and puffing and wondering if this is, perhaps, not my day. Maybe it’s not having had much for dinner last night. Maybe it’s the condominium full of gear that I have strapped to my back in anticipation of a random July blizzard. Maybe it’s the fact that last night was my first spent in a tent since I was eight. Anyway, after about another half hour, I’ve settled down and am moving steadily, but slowly. I know that, however long this might go, I’ll see the hike through.
The top of the mountain is shrouded in fog, and the views into Tuckerman Ravine are limited. Footing is good, and the trail is reasonably dry given the recent weather.
We break through the trees, and the relentless climb gives way to a relatively flat section on the way up to Boott Spur. BobC comments that he thinks the heavy climbing is behind us. I am more than a little skeptical. I may have even laughed in his face. In any event, it is about the last comment I wanted to hear when I’m thinking we have at least half the climb ahead of us.
I lag behind for a bit, and catch up with our merry band just as they are ready to adjourn their luncheon at Boott Spur. I barely have time for an apple and a photo when we are back on the trail. Kevin makes the executive decision to take the Bigelow Lawn Cutoff to Tuckerman, and off we march to the trail junction, past the marble topped cairns through fields of stone. Now, joined by a sea of humanity, we make our way upward through the mist over countless rocks to that mini amusement park known as the Mount Washington Summit in summer. I lag behind the others again, but, eventually, the toot of the choo-choo whistle, the roar of motorcycle engine and the hoots of tourists at play let me know that the ascent is over. BobC meets me at the top, and I stagger over to get in line to have my summit photo taken by the friendly folks from Subaru of America. What a country!
That business concluded we meet back up with Judy, who is on Emma watch outside the Adams building. Kevin is wandering about, renewing old friendships and generally schmoozing. We pop inside, and Kevin asks if we wanted to get the “cooks tour” of the observatory. Sure. Why not? We sidle over, and it quickly becomes apparent that Kevin knows everyone worth knowing at the “Obs”. Rope line? We don’t need no stinkin’ rope line. Just follow Kevin, and doors open. I later learn that Kevin is one of only ten or so participants who have raised over a grand for the event. Talk about friends in high places!
Sufficiently refreshed, we pack up for the descent. Just as we reach the top of the parking lot staircase the skies break out, revealing the grandeur of the valley below and the surrounding peaks.
We are soon scrambling down the mountain, right along with about a thousand of our closest friends. The line thins out after a bit, and we are able to enjoy the stunning views of the ravine cascades and encounter the last of the snow pack. We regroup at the Hermit Lakes Hut for a final rest before the march to the cars.
A little bit down the trail things go a bit awry. The group had spread out again, with Kevin in the lead, followed by Judy and Emma, then BobC, with all parties trailed by “yours truly”. At the second bridge I encounter Emma standing watch, eying the trail wistfully. I call her on, to no avail. Quite used to this treatment from women, I march ahead to locate Judy, who I surmise would have more persuasive power over the pooch. Judy doubles back and calls for our little friend, who remains unmoved. She is looking for Kevin, her Alpha Male, not realizing he is way down the trail. Confused, Emma proceeds up the trail, looking for the boss, Judy now in full pursuit.
The episode plays itself out over about forty minutes. Kevin, far down the trail and thinking he is being a good doobie by fetching the car from the far parking lot, is oblivious that he is sinking deeper and deeper into the mire due to the unfolding debacle above. Finally, a not very happy Judy, with a compliant and chastened Emma in tow, emerges from the trail. BobC and I beat a hasty retreat to the bathrooms while Kevin absorbs the full force of Hurricane Judy. We regroup, and arrange rides to the turkey banquet awaiting us in a large circus tent at the base of the Auto Road. Kevin meets us at Bob’s car upon our arrival. One look at him and you can tell he is still in Excrementus Profundis.
I panic. Does this mean Kevin and I will have to share a tent tonight? OMG, the damned thing is barely big enough for me. And I’ve seen how Kevin dresses on the trail. I ain’t makin’ no Be Kind, Rewind version of Deliverance.
Thankfully, I have come prepared to deal with this sort of emergency. I mosey over to Judy, and let her know that, back at the camp, I’m going to prepare for her a concoction known as a Pegu Club Cocktail, and that she will have never experienced anything quite so exotic since Trader Vic put a patent on little umbrellas. She seems mildly amused, and perhaps a little interested.
Back at camp, I am good to my word. We were now joined by Rocket21, whose presence always eases the mood. Jokes and obscure cultural references fly thick through the air. I pull out my shaker, chill some cocktail glasses, squeeze fresh lime juice, and commence to mix. The Pegu Club Cocktail. Six parts Bombay Sapphire, three parts Contreau, two parts fresh lime juice, and a few dashes of Angostura Bitters in an ice filled shaker. Gyrate with some panache. The result: Love Potion No.9. Judy sips, the muscles in her neck relax, her face eases, and a smile begins to form over her lips. Crisis averted. Thank the Lord! I am saved! Kevin is back in the harmonious glow of domestic tranquility. All’s right with the world. I will sleep well tonight.

It was nice seeing meeting some new folks (already forgot your names!) as well as seeing Kevin, Judy, and Emma, and BobC (formerly rlc) and Amantio again. My last memories of Amantio and BobC (formerly rlc) were not good - the last time I saw Amantio was on a nasty, wet day of trail breaking in December. A few weeks later, I met BobC (formerly rlc) when he was loitering in a bathroom. Needless to say, I was spooked.

The get together after the event was basically a remake of Cheers. Kevin, who kept on talking about Deliverance and stamps, would be Cliff Clavin. Amantio, mixing drinks, Sam Malone. Me, Coach. BobC (formerly rlc), Frasier Crane.

kdtbbq01.jpg

Amantio prepares his bar

kdtbbq02.jpg

Amantio mixin' it up

kdtbbq03.jpg

Don't worry, he carded Judy prior to serving.

kdtbbq05.jpg

I bought a beach chair especially for the event. It came with a seatbelt.

kdtbbq04.jpg

Kevin, still saddened by the loss of Michael Jackson, serenaded BobC (formerly rlc) with an acapella version of 'Bad'

The Pegu Club Cocktail. Six parts Bombay Sapphire, three parts Contreau, two parts fresh lime juice, and a few dashes of Angostura Bitters in an ice filled shaker. Gyrate with some panache.

The things you can learn on this website! I had a Pegu Club Cocktail in a Boston bistro a year ago, just because I liked the name. It tasted fine but our waitress, a rookie there, couldn't tell me the ingredients. Now all has been revealed. (Maybe orange bitters instead of the Angostura?)

There's a social group here called "Drinkers with a Hiking Problem" for which you appear to be very well qualified. Sign up and share your lore.

You guys crack me!

As the picture shows it's a good thing Rocket had a seatbelt. After one Pegu Club Cocktail it was lights out! Actually, he had just injected himself with propofol to prepare himself for the inevitable Deliverance scenes which he knew were to follow if he had a drink. Luckily, he had the forethought to strap a chair to his backside.

Seriously, when we reached Boott Spur, Tony pulled a wicker basket out of his pack and began setting places. China, silverware and linen napkins. He had enough pasta, salad and wine for all of us. No wonder he had trouble keeping up.

Oh yeah, and Judy's still pissed at me, not the dog who caused all the commotion. At home we call her Wrongway Corrigan. Say I let her in the front door and Judy's upstairs. Emma runs downstairs looking for her. If she's downstairs Emma runs upstairs looking for her. I should have remembered this and been the sweep instead of the lead and let them walk halfway to Jackson for the car. Next time!

KDT

Some photos

29awashington72509.jpg

Emma raised over $1200 for the Observatory. A very big "Thank you" and doggie kisses to all who contributed!

02awashington72509.jpg

05awashington72509.jpg

19awashington72509.jpg

23awashington72509.jpg

60awashington72509.jpg

46awashington72509.jpg

Mountain Avens Geum peckii.

55awashington72509.jpg

Painted Cup Castilleja septentrionalis.

Great thanks goes out to Tony "The Cheeseman" Provenzano, marriage counsellor and bartender extraordinaire, and Bobby "The Rifleman" Cusolito, muscle and inspiration, who helped me deliver the goods!

Complete set of pics here:

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gallery/9066811_35ZqR#603720033_kMLma

KDT

The Pegu Club

The things you can learn on this website! I had a Pegu Club Cocktail in a Boston bistro a year ago, just because I liked the name. It tasted fine but our waitress, a rookie there, couldn't tell me the ingredients. Now all has been revealed. (Maybe orange bitters instead of the Angostura?)

There's a social group here called "Drinkers with a Hiking Problem" for which you appear to be very well qualified. Sign up and share your lore.

Amicus,
I've seen some variations which call for Orange Bitters, and some use Curacao rather than Contreau, so I think you are on to something.
As far as me as a drinker, I'm strictly quality over quantity. I tried to keep up with my much larger buddies back at Holy Cross, and quickly learned my lesson. Oooff!

Great thanks goes out to Tony "The Cheeseman" Provenzano, marriage counsellor and bartender extraordinaire, and Bobby "The Rifleman" Cusolito, muscle and inspiration, who helped me deliver the goods!

Complete set of pics here:

[url]http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gallery/9066811_35ZqR#603720033_kMLma[/url]

KDT[/QUOTE]

Really terrific pics, Kevin.
Glad to provide protection on the trail any time. From what, I don't have a clue.
And thanks again to you and Judy for the hospitality and guidance on my first trip up George. Couldn't have done it without ya!

Finally getting around to responding to this post. Great report guys! This was my first time ever hiking into any of the Presis from Pinkham Notch. Boott Spur trail was a lot of fun, and pretty non-crowded when compared to the throngs of people we saw when we finally made it to the last section of the Tuckerman Ravine trail. I never realized how beautiful Tuckerman Ravine was until we started descending.

All in all it was a great day, with a fantastic turkey dinner at the finish and a fun night hanging out at Moose Brook campground. Thanks everyone for a great day!

A few more pictures here.

Missed this post when it first went up since we were still in the mountains. It was great meeting you guys at the campground Saturday night. Wish I'd gotten there earlier now that I see what was going on before it got dark (and to get one of those Love Potion #9's). :rolleyes:

The entertainment obviously didn't stop there though. Good to see that the LP#9 worked and kept Kevin out of your tent Amantio. Wouldn't wish that on anyone :eek: