Swanson/Gene ADK222 & ADKp50 completed on Crane

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
On July 22nd 2009 completed on Crane, with my wife Gisèle, these 2 rarely attempted ADK lists. Crane is a nice little peak located in southern ADK (3240’ - 1,4 mile trail from car to summit), with however steep sections; but there are ladders to get you over tough spots, and an almost 360° views open rocky summit awaits you to enjoy.

My journey started back on 13th Sept. 2003 on Colden when I felt miserable and was pondering what to do with the second half of my life (50 y/o crisis they say). Was quite the trip – we had used our food bags as pillows that first night totally unaware that bears were wandering all over the woods around us. We almost fainted when the following night we saw a huge bear bust a steel wire to grab all the food bags hung up there. On Colden poorly dressed we encountered snow and icy winds and almost froze to death, then on the way down my friend busted his knee and I had to carry out 2 packs; but I survived and loved every moment of it and never stopped since. My friend however never returned…

A sincere thank to all of you who accompanied me now and then; with a particular thank to the crew who joined me on Noonmark for my ADK100 and to Alain the king for initiating me to winter peakbagging.

ADKp50 list was established by Roy Schweiker & Edward Earl
Ref: http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27126
and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prominence/message/5282

ADKp50 finishers to my knowledge (please feel free to rectify):
1. Alain Chevrette (Pinpin) Finishing Pk : Owl Pate on 4 May 2009 all seasons
2. Pierre Lefebvre (Oncoman) Finishing Pk : Crane on 22 July 2009, non winter only

ADK222 finishers (Gene list adds 5 3K pks to Swanson list):
1. Alain Chevrette (Pinpin) 222 pks done in winter months only completed on Scott 15 March 2009
and 222 pks all seasons also completed on Scott 15 March 2009
2. Pierre Lefebvre (Oncoman) non winter only completed on Crane 22 July 2009

ADK217 ?222 finishers: Ref: Jim Crawford & Dennis Crispo http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15168&highlight=list+finishers
1. Dennis Crispo - 22 July 1997 on Kempshall non winter
2. John Swanson - 22 July 1997 on Kempshall non winter
3. Sue Eilers ? date ? non winter or all season ? finishing pk
4. Erik Schlimmer ? date ? non winter or all season ? finishing pk

Perhaps Jim could fill in missing details…

Last edited:
Nicely done Pierre. I'm sure a lot of pain and sweat went into this accomplishment.
Congratulations. :)

Pierre tu es incroyable.....

Pierre congratulation.

Since We meet You in Allen mountain (when? il me semble que c'était hier:rolleyes:)always you are a perfect exemple of determination I hope You will have a great celebration of this special moment when You turned this page....

But We know it will be a spingboard for a next goal, We hope to meet You in your next dream.;)

Pinpin The 3th.:)

Was quite the trip – we had used our food bags as pillows that first night totally unaware that bears were wandering all over the woods around us. We almost fainted when the following night we saw a huge bear bust a steel wire to grab all the food bags hung up there. On Colden poorly dressed we encountered snow and icy winds and almost froze to death, then on the way down my friend busted his knee and I had to carry out 2 packs; but I survived and loved every moment of it and never stopped since.

This-all deserves an article if not a book. You seem adventure-prone. ;)

Congrats!!!

BTW I forgot to thank you Roy for putting this list together and make me discover superb little pks (Duncan/scramblers paradise with nice chimney, Pharaoh, St. Regis, Raven Hill/private though, Hail/similar ridge to Jay range-Slip Mtn area but more remote with fantastic views on open rocky summit - must keep this marvel a secret). Eternal gratitude to you Roy!

Thanks for info on Pinpin's ADKp50 finish. Updated thread accordingly.

I now rarely submit TR due to all PP issues in dacks for one and also I no longer feel that I have much to contribute. Hard core bwks are a rare breed and very self independent as to orientering & route taking; and besides no one is interested in all those obscure wooded viewless 3K summits. Horse Hill and Vanderburg (totally wooded uninteresting summits but very open) are private; but when my wife & I did Horse Hill folks were very sympathetic - an ATV trail brings you most of the way.

Last edited:
Simply an amazing feat Pierre. I for one have read and enjoyed each of your reports. Especially the ones in the Sawtooths and the one from McDonnel.

The Santa one was pretty damn good too!

Ocoman, you have officially reached "legend status" in my eyes. Your reports are always a joy to read.

I'd have to check my list that Lee Barry sent me (there are over 270 peaks on it), and I'd be surprised if most or all of those peaks are not on their list. If I ever find time I'll check.

If so, both Lee Barry and Jim Boomer climbed around 275 peaks in the late 60's and early 70's before leaving for greener pastures in 1973. I have all his data that he sent me somewhere, the there was some pretty obscure stuff on it too.

Regardless, AWESOME job Pierre.

Neil knowing your hiking tastes I can only urge you to do Duncan & Hail. You'll love it!

Mav I think someone should keep track of ADK 3K finishers for posterity. That was the main idea behind this thread. So if you could confirm for Barry & Boomer that would be greatly appreciated. Info was passed on to Jim Crawford who seems to have taken on the task for NE/NEast 3K finishers.

Since We meet You in Allen mountain (when? il me semble que c'était hier

Le 19 sept. 2004 mon ami, presque 1 an jour pour jour après mon 1er sommet sur Colden. Et depuis comme alors toujours un pas, plutôt plusieurs centaines de pas, derrière toi; bien que cette fois-là je m'étais forcé pour que le renard ne me sème pas...mais le fait d'être sur le planche avait pas mal aidé!

Last edited:
Pierre, when I saw the title of this thread I thought you were announcing the discovery of the Swanson Gene at twin loci: ADK222 and ADKp50.

Pierre, congrats--always read/enjoy your posts and admire your accomplishments---have followed your footsteps a number of times-hope you will post more of your adventure--there are a fair # of bwckers out here who enjoy the sometimes obscure/pointless/lonely hikes :)--and don't let the ADK "it's all ours, keep out" police get you down (no flames please)

jim

Just a little more precision.....

Hi gang.

When We finished on Owl Pate, We finished only a first round not 4 seasons, We need few more to finih this list in Winter, may be in same time of You Pierre...;) Who know what will be tomorrow?!!!!

Only also a other small divergence::confused: if You look a map for the Vanderburg (private) all the West side it a real challenge of Cliffs with very nice views :cool:but You need to choice a good approach to do not have to use rock climbing....:rolleyes:

I am sure Pierre We had a different approach for this small bump.;) We need a metting with maps to compare......the difference may be at the next beers gathering!!!!

Pinpin The 3th.

I am sure Pierre We had a different approach

Ref. Vanderburg. Wanted to initiate on this one my 14 y/o son to map & compass; so a single look at map dictated an approach from the east, as west is very very cliffy (pinpinIII is surely not very scared of heights & narrow ledges). He did a fine job and got us back to a beautiful little lake, within 300 yds, not bad at all for a beginner. I hope to count on him when my brain will get too rotty to roam in the woods...