ISOLATION--Davis Path--Elev Gain-Distance_Time???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowshooz

Reaction score
Hi All,

We are planning a possible overnight to Isolation via Davis Path...perhaps staying at Resolution Shelter...

Question....Is the Resolution Shelter still there??
HOw is the elevation gain from 302/Notchland trailhead to the Shelter..and how is the elevation gain/time between the Shelter and Isolation??

Thanks so much! :)

I asked about Resolution a few weeks ago, and it's still there, although you might think about your water options:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30455

In another thread, someone suggested an alternate campsite nearby "It is an official Forest Service site. There's only room for about three tents, but there is no water, so you would need to carry from Resolution or near the top of Stairs Col Trail.... the flat spots for the tents are quite small."

Doesn't help the water issue, but it sounded like a nicer spot to camp otherwise.

Might be worth doing a post search for more info.

I've never stayed at the Resolution Shelter, but I have overnighted right on top of Stairs Mountain, on the Davis Path, not far from the Shelter. Two to Three legal sites just back from the ledges on top with great sunset views. Sorry no water up there.

Wolfgang

Resolution is still there, in slightly better shape than I expected, but still not a palace.

IMG_9920.JPG

Even with hauling some water, I'd choose to stay at the designated Wilderness Campsites on top of Mt Stairs.

Here is the inside of the shelter - there are several tent sites along the Davis Path after the one at Stairs, but that one is very nice in good weather.

IMG_0632.jpg

Water can be a challange on David Path

Finding water can be a challange on David Path. I did overnight on Davis Path once during a drought and could only find most disgusting water seeps. I'm sure that's not an issue this summer season with all rain we've been having. For example during wetter times I recall some nice looking runoff crossing trail on way to Stairs coming off Resolution should be amenable to treatment. Lack of reliable water for watering horses may have been one reason why Davis Path never took hold as a bridle path route to Washington. So if you see good clear water along trail take time to collect and treat it because you can't count on finding them.

Finding water can be a challange on David Path.

There's only one place that I know of along the Davis Path for water. It is a running seep about half way between Stairs and Davis. Listen for the sound next to a slight herd path. It will be on your right side heading toward Isolation. It's only a few feet off of the trail. It usually runs in dry weather, so it should be flowing fairly well now.

Wolfgang

As others have mentioned, there is water at or near Resolution shelter. The stream bed crosses the trail and heads downhill by the shelter. You may have to follow it until you find flowing water.

There is also supposed to be water a short distance down Isolation trail to the East of Davis Path.

Doug