Dog Pack Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Anybody have any recommendations on dog packs? I have had "Carbou" and "Outward Hound" packs for my 65# Labrador Retrievers. I have not been overly impressed with the quality/durability of either. The straps pull out of seams, the fabric tears, and/or zippers blow out after just a few hikes or after one bushy hike. Maybe my expectations are too high for the "rrrruff" use they get, but if anyone has gotten particularly long life from one of these I would be interested in hearing it.

I just got a Ruffwear pack for Geneva, and I love it. She seems to enjoy it as well. It is well thought out, well made and uses very good fabrics.

I used to make a lot of packs for my former dog, a 75# Husky. She hauled a lot of gear over a lot of miles.

I was looking into designing and making a new pack for Geneva, my dog now. I was searching online for styling and fabrics etc... when I saw this ruffwear pack for less than it would cost me to make one.

Geneva only weighs in around 35#, but she is strong and amazingly agile.

I have started her out slowly carrying gear, only nalgene bottles half full and some dog cookies to start. As she gets used to each hike with the pack on, I add a bit more water to the nalgenes. So far she is excited to see the pack come out of the closet and jumps into it at the trailhead.

I think these packs are well thought out, well made and quite durable.

There are a lot of dog products on the market now, and I think if you can see them before you buy, you won't bne dissapointed.

I like the look of the Wolf packs and the fact that you can get different size saddle bags. I have a ruff wear pack for my 60# dog Maggie. The pack fits well for her size but the saddle bag is too big. Since my dog is old and doesn't carry much, this is an issue for me. It may not be for you.