This wet summer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Though the picture shows a beach, it also applies to those of us who prefer mountains to beaches:

heat.600.jpg

From the NY Times, So Far, It’s the Summer That Isn’t

And yes, if you ask, it is currently raining in NH. What else is new???

This has been, by far, the best hiking summer that I've ever had. You'll hear no complaints about the weather from me. Any rain and mud (and it hasn't been all that bad) has only added to the fun and excitement.

Still time left for more fun in 2009! Great Year for me!! I've gotten out almost every weekend since March and I just got back from an incredible 9-day backpack on the Long Trail (w/ MEB) and I can't be happier. Clothes dry out. Socks dry out. The memories though of such an amazing time won't go away.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is the lushness of the vegetation. The mountains are richly verdant. Above treeline, where plant life is usually dry and stunted, I've seen nothing but bright green fresh buds and stems - Krummholz with over an inch of new growth. The ferns are enormous, the moss everywhere, alpine flowers are still blooming just days before August begins.

While the rain may have done a number on our hiking and social activities, it has been an incredible burst of life for the forests. All those plants are pumping out oxygen and contributing to the nitrogen cycle, and the annuals will continue to do so as they decay and enrich the forest floor. Observing this while hiking has made me feel a lot better about the rain.

Yesterday was the worst...rain that only made it muggy instead of cool, then crippling heat. I had a dreadful run last night. There's one piece of Olmsted Woods that's been a permanent mudhole for about two months going now.

Tomorrow's not looking too bad up north, though. Sunday...eh. I can knock Scar Ridge off in the morning and be down before the thunder, right?

I have to agree with the positive viewponts of dr_wu002 and MichaelJ. I like rain, and heavy weather of all kinds. I've chosen the region with the "worst weather in America" as my playground; I'm not going to complain (or stay home) if the sun's not shining. A bright day is sweet, but what adventure is there in it?

I had the best backpacking trip in years a couple of weeks ago. Night two was thunderstorms. Night three was the most torrential downpour I've ever slept out in. Heaven...:D

i dont know if i love the rain, but it certainly has not stopped me, as i have had my best summer yet as well!
my only complaint is not having enough time to get out and hike....

Not a fan of getting soaked, but have gotten over it this year. I prefer being a soggy hiker to being a dry couch spud.

Pack extra socks (and a snorkel) and double wrap everything in plastic bags.

meanwhile up in Alaska ...

Fairbanks is about to end their warmest and driest July on record ... and right now there are air quality issues due to the smoke from the forest fires nearby. Forest fires that have already burnt more than 420,000 acres (over 650 square miles) and continue to burn.

Boy, what a downer! I, too, have gotten out anyway, albeit not where I originally planned, and with a little extra ambient electricity, but it's all been good.

Nicely said, Wu! Happy for you.

Keep trying, Mohamed; the law of averages will have to catch up sometime!

Think snow,

--Mike

Cold wet summers were the harbingers of the little ice age weren't they? This is our second in a row in Quebec.

I believe millions died as a result of crop failures, ergot poisoning and even the bubonic plague is thought to have been partly caused by the cool, wet climate.

Have a great weekend everyone!

I'm glad to read postive remarks about the weather. Through reading status updates on Facebook (where else?) here and there are some words of the wet weather and it being a damper on things, such is life. I think it's cool how some of us make due despite the circumstances and relish the puddles and rain.

Well, to stay positive, I must say this summer has given me the opportunity to check out the many waterfalls scattered about the woods, as well as plenty of lesser-used paths that I had never hiked before.

Still, I am looking forward to a dry, cool September and October. :D

It has been a natural wonderland

OK, not so many views, but we don't need no stinking views!

Oh yeah, Cloudy skies! ... Perfect for nature photography. Other than the water spots on the mountain laurel the flowers have been great. Lots of lush greens, and it has been an awesome year for mushrooms and waterfalls. Berries, berries, berries! Many bear and other critter sightings. Cool temperatures to boot. A great summer for sure, one of the best ever! :D:):cool:

...Oh yeah, Cloudy skies! ... Perfect for nature photography. Other than the water spots on the mountain laurel the flowers have been great. Lots of lush greens, and it has been an awesome year for mushrooms and waterfalls. Berries, berries, berries! Many bear and other critter sightings. Cool temperatures to boot. A great summer for sure, one of the best ever! :D:):cool:

Mark you have discerning tastes in your selection of light, dispersed light as you know makes a good photograph, if not an smashing work of art.

Cold wet summers were the harbingers of the little ice age weren't they? This is our second in a row in Quebec.

I believe millions died as a result of crop failures, ergot poisoning and even the bubonic plague is thought to have been partly caused by the cool, wet climate.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Not to mention the Vitamin D deficiancy within the American population that can lead to diabetes, heart disease and dandruff. Experts belive it is due to the lack of sun exposure.Think about that hikers are now in the same risk group as couch potatoes.

Went for a hike in the Dacks yesterday (McKenzie Mtn.) and experienced the worst deluge of my hiking life. Within about 90 minutes it rained 1.35 inches. The noise was deafening and we got wet. No signs of Bubonic Plague however.

Went for a hike in the Dacks yesterday (McKenzie Mtn.) and experienced the worst deluge of my hiking life. Within about 90 minutes it rained 1.35 inches. The noise was deafening and we got wet. No signs of Bubonic Plague however.

That kind of situation scares me. Not the getting wet or even the plague, but what happens to the stream crossings while you're on the wrong side of them.

That kind of situation scares me. Not the getting wet or even the plague, but what happens to the stream crossings while you're on the wrong side of them.
Today I was back on Pierce, and on my way down met two backpackers. Stopped briefly to chat, and obviously asked them where they were headed. Up to Pierce and Ike, then down to the Dry River overnight, then on to Isolation :eek: :eek: I noted that the streams where high, and asked whether they had brought a rubber dinghy :D Seems that both had forgotten to pack it :(