Martha's Vineyard 300-Footer List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if it's real or not, but a COHP trip report says there are peaks over 300' on the Vineyard, including the Duke's County High Point at 311'. I'll be down there next week, and since my plans for this vacation are no more specific than "bike, kayak, hike, eat ice cream" it would be incredibly fun to ride around the island and hit them all.

Does anyone know if there really is a list? I know that Peaked Hill, the unnamed high point, and Prospect Hill all top out over 300' (by scaling down the 4K rules, the col must be 15' :)). I can just sit down with the topo and pick off marked summit triangles but if it's actually been figured out already, with directions for access, that would make my planning easier and keep my vacation less organized.
:D

Last edited:
Blue Hills 400 footers

MichaelJ,

I agree with ridgerunner that you should seek treatment. But you have put a much more rational idea into my head: a list of the Blue Hills 400 footers, with a suitably scaled (20 foot) col required!

Those, of course, are real mountains, unlike the molehills you plan to "hike" on the Vineyard ;) ;)

This project will have to wait until I return to Boston in a few days. My only paper maps are those in the old (7th edition) and new (8th edition) Mass/RI AMC guides. The former has no contours, the latter has contours at 50 foot intervals. It is not completely clear which is the more useless one for this purpose :(

To answer your question, I am pretty sure that there is no list of the 300 footers on the Vineyard, so get out the maps and do your homework.

MichaelJ said:
since my plans for this vacation are no more specific than "bike, kayak, hike, eat ice cream"

Michael - please don't try to bike, kayak, hike and eat ice cream all at the same time - you could pull something.

You're right - I should just eat the ice cream.
:D

Well, although I can certainly pore over the topo map for Duke's County, I don't have the time to research all the access and trailheads before heading down there. I'll bike around and visit the "peaks" I can, and have an extra large cone when I'm done.

Mohammed:

I appreciate all the efforts that you make on behalf of the hiking community. But please, please, please do not publish the list of the Blue Hill 400’s.

For I am sure that once the list is published all of the speedsters will descend upon those hills and set and publish their record times. At least now I can honestly suffer under the delusion that I hold that record.

MichaelJ said:
Does anyone know if there really is a list? I know that Peaked Hill, the unnamed high point, and Prospect Hill all top out over 300' (by scaling down the 4K rules, the col must be 15' :)).
Interesting ...

GNIS gives the elevation of Peaked Hill as 311 feet, while the topo on Topozone puts the name near the minor 302 foot peak. The benchmark also appears to be on the lower peak. By your rules you should bag both, as the col is somewhere between the 270 and 280 foot contours.

A quick look at the Topozone map does not show any other 300 foot contours near Prospect Hill.

Of course, one problem with GNIS is that it deals with names, so un-named peaks simply do not show up.

I was just going by this COHP trip report and this followup, as well as a glance at TopoZone, which is why I through Peaked was the 302 and the high point the nearby unnamed crest.

That 15' col rule makes it really hard - fortunately, I am not so obsessed as to spend my whole vacation on this. It gets a day, that's it. :)

I wish I hadn't burned through my vacation time already...:mad: Please say hello to all the beautiful people down there :D

J