Parking at LOJ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Havent been there in a couple years. Is the fee still $9? I have always wanted to do Mt. Jo but have always been to exausted after a high peak so I always drive back to camp. On my rest day I would like to do Mt Jo but do I have to pay the $9 if I am only doing this small climb?

Is the fee still $9? I have always wanted to do Mt. Jo but have always been to exausted after a high peak so I always drive back to camp. On my rest day I would like to do Mt Jo but do I have to pay the $9 if I am only doing this small climb?

Yup. $3 if you're and ADK member.

Just arrive after 12:00 noon ;)

Let's stick to legal suggestions.

Wouldn't sneaking in when the parking attendent wasn't present a tad illegle? Especially since there are self check in envelopes for folks to use at the enterance.

Try calling the Loj and tell them your coming for a visit to see if you want to be a member and ask for a visitors pass.

I'm a member, the money you save on parking and discounts will pay for the membership and you get a nice magzine too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they check cars for dated parking passes hung on the rear view mirror.

They do. I've arrived early and assuming I needed the exact amount to leave in the envelope, which I didn't have, figured I'd just pay on the way out (no intent to cheat them out of their $9.00) Upon returning in the afternoon I had a sticker saying please come pay your parking bill.

The Adirondack Mt Club is a non-profit organization in every sense of the word. The Loj parking area breaks even with plowing, maintainance, insurance and employees.

While it might be painful to cough up the annual dues or the parking fee, the ADK has done more for land acquistion, clean air, clean water and paddlers access and rights than anyone would know.
Trying to game the system isn't right, whether asking someone for their membership card for a discount in the store or at the Lot.
The less revenue the organization takes in, the less it has for hiker and wilderness advocacy.

Trying to game the system isn't right, whether asking someone for their membership card for a discount in the store or at the Lot.
The less revenue the organization takes in, the less it has for hiker and wilderness advocacy.

I'm not trying to scam or game anyone or system. If my friend hadn't shown me the discounts and the other advantages of joining then I may have never joined nor have encouraged so many more people to join as the result of my joining. The parking attendent or store clerk didn't seem to mind in the least little bit.

I have helped grow membership and bring in far more revenue then the $12. I saved with his offer of using his card.

Some might even consider this a good business practice to get people "in the door". :)

I once took my family up Mt Jo and when I told the parking attendant we were doing Mt Jo he didn't charge me the full $9. Might just depend on who's working and it was in the winter so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

What brought the thread to the mods attention was a complaint to the moderators titled 'theft of service'.
Discussion of the parking fees are fine as is being dropped off at the Loj or hiking from South Meadow, excellent alternatives.

I've mirrored your thoughts in other posts previously, here and on ADKHPs. A membership not only saves a lot of money at the Loj and publications, but helps fund advocacy that everyone benefits.
The gaming comment not directed at your posts.

I always thought the parking fees were used to pay for trips to Vegas, fine cognac, cuban cigars, rentals at the Whiteface Inn etc. etc.

9 bucks does seem high at first blush but people seem to be quite unreluctant to pay it. The lot was chock-full on Saturday.

The $6.00 discount for members is an excellent incentive to increase the membership and hence the lobbeying clout of the organization.

I think 9 bucks is a ton of money to park. The thought is that the members ought to get a big break and others can do the math: $6 x 7 visits = free ADK membership (Adirondac magazine, chapter outing schedules, discount on lodging, books, etc, access to ADK extended outings schedule for very reasonable worldwide trips), not to mention the advocacy part.

... and just to add on to my last post. If someone were to "lodge at the Loj" and avoid payment, THAT would be Theft of Services. But just parking in the lot and be-bopping down the state trail is a different story. A parking space isn't a service.

... and just to add on to my last post. If someone were to "lodge at the Loj" and avoid payment, THAT would be Theft of Services. But just parking in the lot and be-bopping down the state trail is a different story. A parking space isn't a service.

FYI If you pay to stay at the Loj, a campsite or a lean-to you don't pay for parking...just another reason to be a member.

Question...are you an ADK membor? and have parked at or payed to stay at the Loj or campgrounds?

Nope not an ADK member. I think it's a fine organization but I'm not a club kind of guy. Payed to park in the lot many times ... although it is kind of annoying when the booth isn't manned and I have to "tip" them 'cuz I don't have exact change. :p

I think 9 bucks is a ton of money to park.

When I took my mother to the hospital in NYC for her heart surgery last year, it cost $35 to park. And each subsequent visit, 4 or 5 times over the next 2 weeks, also cost $35. I'm very happy to fork over $9 to park so that I can pursue one of my favorite outdoor activities! :p :D

In all seriousness, you and Little Rickie make several excellent points about all of the benefits of Adirondack Mt Club membership. I used to be a member, but stopped renewing around 1999. I think it's time to re-join the Club! ;)