Middle Carter & Moriah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
Need to do these two peaks in one day. I am curious if anyone had suggestions on what routes to take:

Imp Tr. to North Carter Tr. to Carter Moriah Tr. to Middle Carter, then to Moriah & back or out down down Carter Moriah Tr. by spotting a car.

or is it better to Go up carter Moriah and do all in reverse

Have done all the segments at one time or another but not that exact trip

With 2 cars, there is less elevation gain if you start at the higher trailhead :)

With one car, I'd either go up and down Stony Brook with side trips to the peaks or else do a loop with road walk between Imp and Stony Brook

If you do Moriah first then you have to climb pretty steeply to get up over North Carter on your way to Middle Carter. Of course, if you do it the other way you just have to descend that same steep section of trail. So it comes down to how you like to approach steep trails....ascent or descent.

If you do Moriah first then you have to climb pretty steeply to get up over North Carter on your way to Middle Carter. Of course, if you do it the other way you just have to descend that same steep section of trail. So it comes down to how you like to approach steep trails....ascent or descent.

I was going to say the same thing. I've only come down that section and it was in winter with full pack towards the end of a long day, but it is a nasty section of trail. I wouldn't choose to do it twice in the same day. I'd probably go down that after the Carters than up Moriah and out.