Etiquette of "Please take my picture"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
What's missing in this picture of the summit cairn of Mount Eisenhower?

P1000175.JPG

I am, and therein lies a tale ... or rather my question.

When I reached the summit there were two women, seated near the cairn (hidden by it in my picture). They greeted me when I reached the summit, and my plan was to ask them to take my picture when they got up to leave.

By the time I was ready to leave they were still seated. It seemed to me to be intrusive to interrupt their conversation and ask one of them to get up to take my picture. On the other hand, how much effort would be involved in getting up and taking the picture?

How would others have dealt with this "problem"? :confused:

Last edited:
I never ask anyone to take my picture unless I'm already engaged in conversation with him/her/them. And that's not to say I start conversations with an eye towards having them take a picture. If it feels natural, then I'll ask.

Of course, that's not to say I have a problem with folks asking me to take a picture of them just out of the blue. And, FWIW, this is acutally the first time I've even thought of etiquette on the subject of picture taking. I think we might have an original topic here. :)

I would never mind if someone interrupted my conversation, or my quiet, with a request for me to take their picture.

I don't consider it rude in the slightest to ask for something like that -- I actually feel bad afterward if I see a solo hiker on the summit and realize I forgot to ask if they'd like me to take their picture.

I also have no problems taking pictures with my own camera, and then sending them via email to the hiker who forgot/lost their camera.

Mo,

I believe I have a real-film-camera photo of you on Ike from a 40+ outing some years ago. It's yours if you want it (and if I can locate it).

Glad you were able to get out. Looks like the weather wasn't too bad after all. I did end up doing the East Pond Trail yesterday. Not unpleasant, but I think I'll put it on my don't-bother-to-ever-to-this-one-again list.

I believe I have a real-film-camera photo of you on Ike from a 40+ outing some years ago. It's yours if you want it (and if I can locate it)

Not unpleasant, but I think I'll put it on my don't-bother-to-ever-to-this-one-again list.
Wow Bob, that must be more than a decade ago ... I did go on a 40+ trip led by Shirley R. in my early hiking days (and soon concluded that "40 plus" were way too old for my taste :D). But no thanks, what I wanted was a picture of me on Mount Eisenhower today.

One problem with redlining is that quite a few trails deserve to be on a "don't-bother-to-ever-to-this-one-again list".

From an etiquette perspective, it's simple: you're asking for a favor. Be polite, be direct, and if the answer is "no", accept it. Don't interrupt conversations or concentration, but you can try leaning into their field of view with your camera ready - if they don't notice you, or ignore you, then don't proceed.

Barkingcat: yes, there was major trailwork on Eisenhower in July 2008, including changes to the cairn (and possibly more since then).

You can never be wrong to say "I'm sorry to trouble you," if some folks are busy, yet willing to extend a hand.

Smile and ask.

I make it a point to always offer to take pictures of others. 9 out of 10 times the person reciprocates. And I always feel bad for the family when I see one parent taking a picture with Mom and the kids, but Dad is left out. I have an entire family lifespan where I simply don't exist because of being behind the lens.

Wear a smile and ask. "Excuse me, I was wondering, would either of you be able to take a quick picture of me with the summit cairn?" If the answer is no, then feel sorry for someone so stressed or bummed out by life that they couldn't help you out. If they say yes, then let them know how much you appreciate it. Then offer to take their picture together. Like Trish, I've emailed photos of others also. It's just a nice gesture.

I have never asked anyone to take my picture, but I have had many folks offer, especially when they see me taking pics. I always offer to take pics of others so they can be in their group pics and the offer is always appreciated, or at least that's the message conveyed. There have been numerous times when I was occupied with some distant thought or in conversation with someone when someone would request I take a pic for them. I have never felt intruded upon, been ignored or denied such a request. Ask me anytime.

If I want someone to take my summit pic, I always ask someone that I see is already holding a camera. Then I offer to return the favor.

really?

Not only do I hike, but I travel extensively, and usually have a camera. If I would like a picture, I ALWAYS politely interrupt and politely ask if someone could please take a picture. In my experience, I have never been turned down - actually people are usually only too happy to oblige - even when they don't speak the same language as I do. I always ask people if they'd like me to take their pictures when I see someone who may want to be included in the pic - 99 times out of 100, that is exactly the case and they are ecstatic someone would help. People who find themselves in picturesque places usually want pictures - and it's always better to look back fondly at a pic with everyone in the pic who came on the excursion.

Now giving instructions and telling people what to include is another story. I ask how they'd like the picture framed, but now we're getting into another topic...

My only regrets have come when I haven't asked.

I always give an enthusiastic 'yes' when asked, and have never been turned down when I've politely asked if I can take theirs.
Last summer we ran into a couple on an Adirondacks firetower peak. They looked photogenic and I asked if I could take their picture. When they said they didn't have a camera, I asked if I could shoot them with my DSLR and email to them.
They were thrilled when I emailed them 5 large format photos.

Just yesterday on Bondcliff, it was a matter of "...excuse me, but do you mind..." The man I asked even made it a point to take several shots. I can't recall anyone who wouldn't take a picture, and I have never refused to take a picture of anyone who asked. Most folks seem thrilled when I offer to take their pictures, so their whole group can be in the shot.

I take lots of pictures..few of any merit but quantity counts.

always ask if someone wants their shot taken and have no qualms about asking others..most people and groups are thrilled to have everyone present in a photo

have never been refused and generally have people take 2..

Ask!

Sorry, I guess there are some people in the world who might refuse, but I can't imagine it out on the trail.

Wish I had known. I was up there Saturday and would have loved to run into you, and taken several pictures!

There has been extensive work on the summit of Eisenhower this summer. The original cairn, which was basically just a large pile of rocks, not really built like a cairn, was torn down. The rocks were used to build an encircling wall around the new, well built cairn in Mo's picture. The rest of the rocks were used to mark the approaching paths. This has cut down on the wandering around the summit which led to erosion and the destruction of native flora.

The approaches from each direction have been rerouted in several spots and wooden stairs have been added in other spots. I think it has been modeled after the very successful efforts of the Waterman's on Franconia Ridge. This should go a long way to preserving the fragile ecosystem of this beautiful summit.

KDT

Relax.

I don't know what else to suggest.

Relax.

I don't know what else to suggest.
At the ADK Gathering the other night I pulled down my pants and stuck my behind in Marc Howes' face. There was no camera involved but I'm sure he would have taken my picture if it would have gotten me the hell away from him.

-Dr. Wu