Jack Pines on Baldface?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
In the AMC guide the description of the Welch-Dickey loop indicates that the south ledges of Welch Mtn. contain one of four stands of jack pine that occur in New Hampshire. According to the guide, the tree benefits from fires because it kills off other competitors, and the cones release their seeds most readily when they have been scorched.

While hiking the Baldfaces yesterday I snapped THIS PICTURE

At the top-right of the image the picture you can see a large odd-shaped patch of dark green working it's way down from the summit of South Baldface. The AMC the guide mentions that the upper slopes of the Baldfaces were hit by great fires in 1903.
Looking at the picture again it does look like the dark green patch indicates an area where a fire hit but, unlike the ledges, was able to recover before losing its soil.
If so, are the trees in the picture jack pines? Or just some other type of evergreen?
If not jack pines, where are the other 3 stands of jack pines in NH?

^MtnMike^

Last edited:
Great photo! Those aren't jack pines. The four (five?) known stands are on Welch, Chocorua, Webster (as high as 3200'!) and Umbagog. I'd say that the darker tongue is an older-growth conifer stand -- my guess is balsam fir, though spruce is by backup guess. By contrast, the other terrain is a lighter green due to the proliferation of mixed hardwoods. I took a similar photo in May 2000 that highlights the contrast -- palest green for the bud-bursting maples and mountain-ashes, with perennially dark conifer blotches.

There are also Jack Pines in the Green Hills that make up the summits of Peaked and Middle Mtns. Very open and inviting summits, with pretty good views.

Jack Pines?

I've heard of Bristle cone pines, Limber Pines and Lodgepole pines out west and am familiar with our Eastern White Pine.

What is a Jack Pine? I was on the Welch Dickey ledges last September and remember seeing some odd-looking pine trees, they looked like the same ones I saw on the lower ledges of Mt Whiteface in NH this spring.