Snapshots with Unique Photo Perspectives of Familiar Places?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
This might be a thread to nowhere, but nonetheless, here goes! Over the past several days, my wife & I have been involved with a family visit that involved children aged 5 and under. As a result, I’ve been to places that I normally wouldn’t visit, such as Story Land in Jackson, NH, and to the east side of the lake at the Willey House site on Route 302.

I took a few snapshots from these locations that showed some familiar locations from a perspective that was different . . . well at least, different to me!

So, just ignore this posting if these perspectives are “old hat” to you. Perhaps others can post a few photos of familiar places from perspectives that are far more unique than shown in the two photos below.

This first photo shows a portion of Story Land in the foreground with what I think is Bartlett Mountain and Kearsarge North in the background.
100_2605.JPG

The next photo shows Mt. Willard (and a portion of Mt. Webster) in the background, with the Willey House Lake in the foreground.
100_2633.JPG

I have a few

Franconia Notch from Pikes Peak-Plymouth

Or from an outlook on the Fishin Jimmy Trail...I usually don't see this outlook because I'm going up, and not down.

Mt Field from the opposite side of Shoal Pond

Mt Moosilauke and Lake Tarleton from Piermont Mtn (off limits I think) while I was a summer camp counselor

Waterville Valley area (Sandwich Dome in the back) from Goodrich Rock

If I can find more I'll post.

grouseking

A few years back my brother and I climbed up Silver Cascade in Crawford Notch. Not sure how high we got before turning around, but we had some nice views of Willard, Willey and the cascades from the top:

IMG_2838.sized.jpg

IMG_2839.sized.jpg

IMG_2834.sized.jpg

Mike

Does this qualify: a panoroma of some Sandwich Range peaks and Chocorua, from the southeast - an unnamed peak ("x1358") on Scarboro Ridge in Freedom, less than a half-mile from the NH-Maine border?

614545311_S4am7-L-1.jpg

From the left, it's the Tripyramids, Passaconaway, Paugus and Chocorua.

Thanks guys for adding some photos that show familiar places from a different perspective.
I sort of thought that at least a few VFTT folks might have some photos to share.

Billy, that is definitely a “different” Bondcliff photo. Guess you could entitle it something like “De-feet of Bondcliff”?!:rolleyes:

Grouseking, that’s a nice shot of Mt Moosilauke and Lake Tarleton from Piermont Mtn. I was on Moosilauke’s South Peak just a few weeks ago and was looking across Lake Tarleton toward Piermont.

^MtnMike^, you really did get some very unique views of Willard & Willey from your “jaunt” up the Silver Cascade.

Amicus, yes I definitely think your panorama “qualifies”!
That’s quite a shot you got from an unnamed peak on the Scarboro Ridge in Freedom.

The first one looks to be from Cannon Cliffs looking south. Maybe a turnbuckle in the foreground that used to hold up the old man.

The second one is looking at the Carters and Wildcats. It looks like the Wildcat ski area to the right in the picture.

Regarding the second photo, I’m not very good at “mystery photos”, but it appears to me that you are looking eastward across the Jefferson Ravine toward the Carters, and that the photo was taken from someplace in the general vicinity of the summit of Mt. Jefferson.
(And so, I think I’m agreeing with J&J on this one.)

Regarding the first photo, I definitely agree with J&J's assessment on that one.

Last edited:
What a great thread! Thanks to all for posting. If I turn up something of my own to add, I'll post... otherwise, this brings to mind John Winkler's "A Bushwhacker's View of the Adirondacks" and its sequel "A Cherished Wilderness," both well worth getting if you are used to the more typical adirondack views, unless they've gone out of print and turned into a fortune. In which case, I'm still not selling, they're mine!

Missed guessing on those two photos - I agree with the last guesses on those views. The second looks much like my photos from Jefferson in February, though further north, so somewhere around Edmands Col or thereabouts looking down the arm of the ravine seems likely.

Here's a few "different" views taken recently...

Profile Lake
IMG_5903(800).jpg

Looking towards The Roost from an interesting spot (I think that is Caribou in the distant center).
IMG_6039(800).jpg

Last edited:
I dont have a photo, but have heard that there is an interesting viewpoint from the south end of the Pond of Safety where the a couple of the presidentials are framed by a notch in the Mt Crescent ridge.

I dont have a photo, but have heard that there is an interesting viewpoint from the south end of the Pond of Safety where the a couple of the presidentials are framed by a notch in the Mt Crescent ridge.
There certainly is an interesting viewpoint from the NORTH end of the Pond of Safety. Check out the photo below taken in late April of this year.
(For a complete Trip Report, click HERE)).

100_1534.JPG

Not the best photo, but here's a peek at a little bit of Chocorua in the distance from a slab near the summit of rarely-climbed Bartlett Mountain (featured in the first photo that 1HappyHiker posted to start the series):

Dang, nice work J&J. That took a bit less time that I thought. I was standing right in front of that turnbuckle and it took me a few minutes to realize what it was. You were in the right place on the second too.

neoAKela, you were spot on with the second one. I was up there on Feb 6. When were you up there?

Joe

A couple more.....

Cannon from Scarface
IMG_0889(800).jpg

Cannon from talus field above Boise Rock
Pano0832(800).jpg

Washington from East Hale
IMG_1330b(800).jpg

Zealand Notch from East Hale
IMG_132345copy(800).jpg

Zeacliff Pond from Zealand ledges
Panorama5543-5554(800px).jpg

Cannon from Scarface

Cannon from talus field above Boise Rock

Washington from East Hale

Zealand Notch from East Hale

Zeacliff Pond from Zealand ledges
Chris, the 5 photos you posted are marvelous and they certainly provide a unique perspective on familiar places.

Regarding your photo from Scarface, first of all, I didn’t realize that there was a spot from Scarface where you could get such a relatively unobstructed view. And secondly, I love the way I-93 appears to sort of blend into the ski trails on Cannon.

Sawteeth, Giant and Rocky ùpeak Ridge from McDonnel.

Redfield%20Slide_0040.jpg