Round laces or flat?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth between each type of boot lace and can't make up my mind as to which is superior: flat or round laces.

What do you prefer and why?

Last edited:
What, no poll?

Flat laces fo' shizzle. The round ones are always coming untied.

I've been using the pentagon laces made from UHDPE/carbon fiber, available direct only from Schlameal.com. The weight savings are pretty good about 1000 picograms per foot. Shed the high mica content mud better than any other available shoe tie. Serves double duty as a first rate dental floss for teeth with no proximal neighbor. :D

Last edited:
Once tied, I don't think the shape makes any difference.

More important than the shape is the material of constuction. Some polymer fibers are slippery and tend to come untied easily. Cotton stayed tied well, but is not very durable and does not dry quickly.

Unfortunately, manufacturers make them more for appearance than for functionality or durability.

I have to admit my flat ones seem to stay tied better than the round ones. When it really becomes an issue I just double knot. I think Joe hit it on the head that the material may be more of a factor. Double knot the cotton ones (round or flat), get 'em wet and you may be sleeping in your boots.

Flat with a double knot to stay tied better. And always gaiters of some sort to keep them dry so I can untie them, and to keep the brush from untying them.

And they have to be dark brown.

For knots, before tightening the bow, continue wrapping whichever loop you usually wrap for a second time. It will stay put all day and come out with the same tug you are used to.

Tim

Flat laces

Definitely flat. The round laces always come untied, unless double tied.

Has anyone ever invented velcro hiking boots? :eek:

I think Neil has way to much spare time:D

I might be inclined to agree.

For what it's worth, though, I prefer leather laces, approximately square in cross-section that came with my Limmer (custom) boots years ago.

At first I thought those laces to be an affectation -- a gimmick -- but in the first season the laces demonstrated their great utility. They are adequately strong and durable, sufficiently elastic to do their intended job very effectively, and they stay tied. I dress 'em with boot grease each time I do the boots.

G.