Moderate hikes near North Creek

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in North Creek the next few days and my sister and her family asked me to plan out some moderate hikes. Aside from the trail up Gore I'm not familiar with much in the area.

Any suggestions?

The Siamese Ponds Wilderness area can be accessed from a couple different spots near North Creek. Heading west on Rt. 8 for a few miles there is a trailhead on the right...don't recall the name of the specific trail, but it goes up and over the shoulder of Eleventh Mountain and you can do a nice out and back hike that takes you through some nice woods. Also, heading north on 28, towards Indian Lake with the Hudson River on your right, go to North River and follow the signs leading towards Garnet Hill XC Ski center. you can access 13th lake which has a few trails and access to Siamese ponds wilderness. Here's a link to the GORP page: http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/statepark/ny/wil_siam.htm

I think the ADK Central Region Trail Guide would have info regarding potential hikes in the area. (not at home right now, so I can't verify which book it is)

The 13th Lake area (location of Garnet Hill Lodge - good view from their property and a bar!) offers very nice hiking options many into the Siamese Ponds wilderness. Near the Lodge, you can hike up Balm of Gilead Mtn. Short with a good view.

Though quite a bit longer, a trip into Peaked Mtn pond, then up Peaked Mtn offers a nice variety (woods, streams with small falls, vleis, ponds) and a great view from open summit of Peaked Mtn. A bit steep above the pond but anyone can make it. Park at the N end of 13th Lake. The trail follows the W. shore of the lake before heading west (a left turn 200 yds. into the woods will take you on a new trail to Hour Pond - not on maps yet). Both 13th & Peaked pond great for swimming.

Not too far north (up 28N then W. a few miles on Northwoods Club Rd), you could hike into Blue Ledges, to get access to the Hudson River (cliffs on the S. shore here). Easy hike and you may see rafters go by if late AM.

Further N. from there is Vanderwhacker mtn. (Turn left W. just past the Boreas river) a 2.5 mile hike (steep after 1st mile) leading to a tower offering a view of many of the highest peaks in the Adirondacks.

If you have a more specific criteria, there are other recommendations. Have fun. ADK Central is the right book.

Thank you all. I'll pull up the maps and see how far the family wants to go. Peaked mountain looks good to me, but I may not convince the rest of the folks.

Crane mountain - you can do a nice loop over the mountain, down the other side to the pond and then back to the trail head on Ski Hi Road

Third vote for Crane. Peaked Pond Mt. is nice, I think the views from Crane are spectacular. You need to be comfortable climbing a ladder. Doing the entire loop makes for a more varied hike, IMO. You'll want to linger at the pond.

Peaked mountain great hike with great views. Watch out for the tree's there, they have hands. I got to the top and reached for my camera to take some shots. When I reached into my camera bag my camera was gone:eek:. I went down about 50 feet and there it was hanging on a branch. I left the shoulder strap hanging out the bag with the bag unzipped and those trees pick pocketed me and I did not even feel it.:eek: