Water at Garfield Ridge Campsite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumhaggart

Reaction score
I plan on heading up Franconia Ridge to the Garfield Ridge Campsite this weekend. It's been 20 years or so since I was up there, but I recall that there was a small brook or spring close to where the spur trail intersects the Garfield Ridge Trail.

My question is: How reliable is said brook/spring?

I'd hate to have to backtrack to Garfield Pond to water up. :(

Also, the terrain display on Google Maps appears to show a short trail that starts on the GR Trail just west of Garfield pond and connects with the Garfield Trail just above the switchbacks. There is no mention of this trail in the WMG. Real or not real? Former trail, now abandoned? Enquiring minds want to know. :confused:

Thanks,

Steve

Also, the terrain display on Google Maps appears to show a short trail that starts on the GR Trail just west of Garfield pond and connects with the Garfield Trail just above the switchbacks. There is no mention of this trail in the WMG. Real or not real? Former trail, now abandoned?

Former trail. The Garfield Trail side of it seems pretty obvious (though some work has been done to fill it in with blowdowns).

Some sources describe the water source as a spring, some as a brook. Either way, it's substantial and reliable. I've been through there numerous times (including July 6th, when I stayed at the campsite), and it has always been flowing.

My question is: How reliable is said brook/spring?

It's very reliable right now. No shortage of water anywhere in the Whites this year :D

That old section of trail you mentioned, as rocket21 already wrote, is abandoned. It's easy to follow at first (from the Garfield Trail side), but it becomes obscured not far in. It's also mucky as heck in there right now.

garfield

was just there early spring, spring is always flowing just as you branch off to the site-good water. It is a busy site so get there early unless you don't mind overflow sites-hike safe