Sam Drew 1518' & Pleasant 1374' (Maine)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
On the spur of the moment last night, i decided to head "north and east" to hike today to try to escape the clouds, possible showers than are dogging the area around Rumford that i planned on hiking

Sam Drew 1518' (yeah, i think it's pretty obscure too, had never heard of it-getting to be SOP for some of these) is near Oakfield, ME (try Houlton). I got the usual early start and as i sped north on 95, i was happy to see the clouds dissipate and the sun rise as i passed the Millinocket exit; turned out to be a great weather day. It's a long way up there even for me, but i have 6-7 more in the "County" some almost to Escourt Station (check it out)--you talk about far/remote

(note to Bill-i saw May Mt as i went by Island Falls, one of "yours" i think-perhaps another day)

I got off the Smyrna Mills exit and headed to Oakfield-been to Smyrna Mills a "lot", never Oakfield. One of the good things re a list-it forces you to see new places. Sam Drew is a pretty nondescript ridge that sits behind the nondescript town (sorry). I accessed the peak via the Thompson Settlement Rd and the Sam Drew Rd (dirt). The Sam Drew is stony and washed out badly in a few place, but easily passable with care. I parked fairly low on the mountain, but you could drive higher with the right car/tires (but it's supposed t be a hike) -the hike was a pleasant uphill walk on a road/snowmobile trail that got increasingly rough as you ascended.

There are not one, but three anemometer towers on the mountain-i'm finding these wind measurement devices all over Maine-they're especially common on "prominence" peaks for obvious reasons. Their presence usually means better access and got me thinking that regardless of how you view various aspects of the logging industry, it would be a lot tougher for bushwhackers w/o any old roads/skid trails, even though most are rapidly being "reclaimed" by nature.

As i passed a wind tower about 1/2 way up, a large shape loomed on the road as i rounded a bend-large cow moose. I run into moose close up frequently, have never had any problems but am never sure what's "right" --as per usual i moved to within 25-30' (any closer seems stupid with an animal this large), then made noise and moved ahead. The usual "casual staredown" ensued-moose stares, moves 50' up the trail, stops, i move to within 25'--repeat a few times....and finally moose runs into brush. A bit later, near the summit, i sense something right beside me in the thick woods; crash...it's a very large cow who takes a lunge toward the trail (me) and then quickly recovers and off into the woods--much closer than my 25' rule :)

There are two wind towers near the top about 0.2 miles apart (call them "N" and "S"). There's no view at "N", but nice views west from "S". The peak's top seems to be close to the "N" tower probably in the nearby thick woods. Sure, i went in several spots just to say i was "there" even though nobody in the world would know (save me)-got soaked immediately :)-uneventful descent, drive out.

I had considered trying to scout "Duck" 1225' near Enfield/Saponac, but had no beta and even the possible dirt road approach seems a bit hinky. As i wanted an "easy" day and hoped to get out again tomorrow, i deliberately left my "Duck" stuff at home :)-anyone have ANY experience on this peak?-please write

Pleasant 1374'-After getting back on 95, i winged back to Bangor (heavy clouds returned) and then out Rt 9 past Amherst, the road to "Lead" and into Washington County (Pleasant is county highpoint)-sun again (2:45 from Sam Drew). A bit past Beddington (nothing there save Rt 193), I was happy to find my approach road with the possibly locked gate wide open--joy in Mudville. I drove north 2 miles and found the smaller road to the east to have been the scene of recent logging activity and in good shape. .... able to park higher on the mountain than expected and took an overgrown road and a very easy (think southern VT) whack to the top. The old road dropped me near the "south" ridge and a truly pleasant 'whack (few blowdowns, nice ferns, few evergreens) took me to the summit-how often can you ever say that re a 'whack and mean it?

There are two "summits", the south one being the higher and each has some bumps that i visited per usual-wooded, no views---however i easily found a semi-open (surrounded by woods) clearing on "S" that appeared to be the "top" (from Thomen, GPS spot,look/feel, etc)-a pretty neat little place in the filtered sunshine...and guess what?..while several older accounts mention finding nothing of jar/register/etc anywhere, there was an old wooden sign "Pleasant Mtn 1374" which had been renailed to a large tree.------- another "nothing" peak which i ended up enjoying a lot.

lots of driving for a few "short' hikes, but that's the way it is with these peaks-they are by nature "isolated" and there's no way you can line up a "row" of 2,3,4 for a "traverse"...but i do like them

and yes, i know it's soon time again for more "serious" whacks on the list, but i had a few too many of those this year and it's so nice to do these for a bit.....

jim

Last edited:
(note to Bill-i saw May Mt as i went by Island Falls, one of "yours" i think-perhaps another day)
A plaque on the roadside explains why the quad calls it Robinson Mtn, last time I was there we got permission to drive up

On the spur of the moment last night, i decided to head "north and east" to hike today to try to escape the clouds, possible showers than are dogging the area around Rumford that i planned on hiking

Sam Drew 1518' (yeah, i think it's pretty obscure too, had never heard of it-getting to be SOP for some of these) is near Oakfield, ME (try Houlton). I got the usual early start and as i sped north on 95, i was happy to see the clouds dissipate and the sun rise as i passed the Millinocket exit; turned out to be a great weather day. It's a long way up there even for me, but i have 6-7 more in the "County" some almost to Escourt Station (check it out)--you talk about far/remote
jim
jim
You tellin' me you go all the way up to Houlton in The County, and you don't bag Pole Hill (see) :D

PB--i will "need" to be up there a few more times for some "way the hell in" peaks (always enjoy adventures in The County and the helpful people ) so perhaps i'll squeeze in a few more oddball things like Pole Hill

j

You tellin' me you go all the way up to Houlton in The County, and you don't bag Pole Hill
I thought going to Aroostook & Washington counties the same weekend was bad enough, and here bb1 goes to both the same day!

:) late this month?, i think i'm headed way up for Debouille and McLean followed by Rocky Mtn and Hafey which are almost to Estcourt Station--this IS the end of the earth

--will need another trip into NMW roads at Ashland for Peaked (the one in much further on Jack Mtn Rd than the Peaked we've "all" done), Chandler (Pinkham) and Rocky Brook (Amer. Realty Rd)---know i've mentioned this, but i have always enjoyed my trips to The County, people have treated me very well

jim

Jim, I second Roy's post. Chandler looks like an interesting mountain, one of the last decent ones before the land flattens north of Baxter. On the topos it looks like it has a nice open summit, but in the satellite pictures it looks like it might have gotten overgrown subsequent to when the map was made. It would be great to learn the current state of the mountain.